Ross County 30/12/17

Auld Jag

The major difference this season compared to our previous seasons back in the top league is that unlike before when I felt that our football belied our lowly position: this season we deserve to be where we are.

Quite honestly some of our performances have been appalling to say the least: our performances at Rugby Park and Dens Park stand out particularly. Nonetheless, if we can get our missing players back and up to speed; the second half of the season will hopefully prove more acceptable viewing than the first.

A special mention too for Sammon and McCarthy: both of whom played vital parts in our victory today. All things considered I'll go into the New Year considerably more optimistic, than I thought possible even a fortnight or so ago.

On the 2nd goal........

Sammon's great touch, quick turn and fast direct run tells me all I need to know about how intelligent a football player he is.

As soon as he laid that ball off to McCarthy, he knew exactly what he wanted to do and just needed McCarthy to think on the same level as him.

Credit to McCarthy for....

(1) his understanding of exactly what Sammon was thinking

(2) his execution with the quick accurate ball required to complete the move.

I'm not sure there are any other two players on this Thistle team who could combine for a move like that.

Maybe Dools & Erskine (who've had years of practice/playing with one another)

• Like 2

Result most important thing about today. Probably fortunate to be ahead at half time - Davis gifted Dools a goal them missed a free header. Secnd half we created more and thought Salmon played well. Defence looked more secure with Barton, Turnbull and Keown in the middle but maybe RC were just poor. Looked like a good spirit in the team with everyone playing for each other. While the season has been disappointing so far the extent of injuries had been a big factor. Let's hope we can get most of the guys back and push on after the break.

I feared that we might be adrift at the foot of the League at the end of the Year so it's a relief and a very creditable achievement to be off the bottom and within range of five other clubs...particularly with the injuries to key players and the team not actually playing well. Today as with recent home games we weren't great but neither were the opposition and unlike previous seasons we again managed to convert leads into three points.

It was a welcome belated Christmas Gift from Andrew Davies (to add to a previous spectacular own goal at Firhill) and a relatively comfortable win. We defended well but County look as if they will need their traditional January influx - we will have four or five decent players coming back which I'm hoping will improve the quality of our play. We should have much-needed options at full-back and midfield though I am concerned that Archie didn't mention Bannigan among those coming back in January.

Barton is so much better at the back and the entire defence seemed more composed. Woods has brought some order to midfield - he looks and plays like Sean Welsh - holds the team shape, makes tackles and simple effective passes...also got caught in possession and went off injured. Young McCarthy can make an incisive pass which is something which has been missing from our midfield.

I have not been a fan of Sammon but he did well and scored a fine goal. I'm not that keen on the punt-up-the-park-to-the-big-man style of play though and we seem to have picked up the St Johnstone kill the game method of repeatedly forcing throw-ins and general time-wasting. I would like to think we will play better football and have better players in their best positions in the New Year...and that we keep picking up points.

• Like 1

The one thing that's killing us is being unable to score goals, forget that wee Swallow that was flying around Firhill because its not the first sign of summer. I'm happy that Archie took note of what I said about keeping Barton at the back, because the only one who thinks he's any use in midfield is his agent.

Its a concern to read these idiots who get their football knowledge from tabloid journalists, "the long ball". The game is all about scoring goals, if wee Tam could kick the ball and score that'll do for me, after that we can play passing keep the Baw. With the exception of the EastEnders every other team would struggle in the 6th league in England that's how poor our game is. As for intelligent play the only distinguishing factor between our top league and the Juniors is in the top league their paid more.

Naw I'm afraid it was only a wee **** sparra and no a swallow............Happy New Year..

Good battling performance and we got a bit of luck with the offside goal, but was time we had some luck.

Barton as sweeper massively improves the defense and allowed the team to actually move forward as there was a bit of confidence.

Lawless was immense in the wing back roll

Dools was Dools chasing everything

Sammon was excellent using his power to bully their defense

Turnbull and Keown were totally in control probably having Barton beside them helped

McCarthy gave us the dig and aggression we’ve missed in midfield for so long

Everyone a pass mark yesterday except Storey who looked of the pace even prior to him pulling up

From the highlights:

Nothing wrong with Ross County's goal; it should have stood. We got lucky there.

Barton is an excellent sweeper; he is by no means a midfielder.

They had a couple of free headers from corners.... again, we got away with it this time.

Our second goal was excellent.

The Doolmeister... surely he'll hit double figures again this season.

From the highlights:

Nothing wrong with Ross County's goal; it should have stood. We got lucky there.

Barton is an excellent sweeper; he is by no means a midfielder.

They had a couple of free headers from corners.... again, we got away with it this time.

Our second goal was excellent.

The Doolmeister... surely he'll hit double figures again this season.

Davies had the freedom of Firhill for a header in the first half, couldn't believe he put it wide.

Kelly's offside looked borderline from where I was sitting, as did the one at the end of the half where Cerny made a great save.

Good battling performance and we got a bit of luck with the offside goal, but was time we had some luck.

Barton as sweeper massively improves the defense and allowed the team to actually move forward as there was a bit of confidence.

Lawless was immense in the wing back roll

Dools was Dools chasing everything

Sammon was excellent using his power to bully their defense

Turnbull and Keown were totally in control probably having Barton beside them helped

McCarthy gave us the dig and aggression we’ve missed in midfield for so long

Everyone a pass mark yesterday except Storey who looked of the pace even prior to him pulling up

Great result but let’s not go overboard ..... it was a poor game of football with countless aimless long balls and only a few passages of quality play and they were awful in the second half while we improved

The defence was better and I can see Barton in the Davie Irons sweeper role but we will be weak at full back till the injured return McGinn I thought was poor yesterday....midfield was weak in the first half so I didn’t think woods played that well and Edwards disappeared in the second half

We will need to up our level against better opposition

Get Sammon signed up permanently.

On yesterday's showing I would agree. Man of the match for me.

Sammon has surprised me over the last few games. Not sure how he played against Aberdeen as I wasn't there but I felt he was our best player against Dundee and was a bit baffled when he got taken off. His goal yesterday was fantastic and he was unfortunate with his other chances but at least he worked the keeper.

I said a few weeks ago that him and Storey are not the answer. If Sammon can get a run in the team and show the effort and desire he showed yesterday, I may have to eat my words. Or at least half of them...

• Like 1

Last game I was at was st j at home when we won. Thought we were better yesterday esp second half. Barton brings composure to the back three and Turnbull was excellent. Sammon also impressive from the minute he came on. Though McCarthy looked good in possession with couple of good passes, less convinced when he’s not on the ball but definitely good signs there. Definitely looking up going into the break, esp with return of several players anticipated

Well done everyone- great result!

Amazing from Andy McCarthy. He doesn’t look like he passes, he looks like he’s pressing the through ball button on FIFA !!!

And Hamilton Ac involved in a fight again? I think their confidence could be chipped away and fragile.......

But if we make our real world and online presence totally positive then it will leak through

We can we can We Are Thistle We Still Believe

Last game I was at was st j at home when we won. Thought we were better yesterday esp second half. Barton brings composure to the back three and Turnbull was excellent. Sammon also impressive from the minute he came on. Though McCarthy looked good in possession with couple of good passes, less convinced when he’s not on the ball but definitely good signs there. Definitely looking up going into the break, esp with return of several players anticipated

McCarthy reminds me a bit of when Bannigan just started coming through - although Bannigan was a bit younger. He doesn’t look out of place and with some regular experience will see where he should be when not on the ball

Oh dear the Jags won and someone is hurting. Obviously disappointed that they can't spend the next 3 weeks proclaiming doom and gloom. Still we're only ever 2 defeats away from all the old lines getting dusted down and used again.

Ok then. Lets hear and see ye's aw at the game. Sitting on yer hauns at the game says a lot more than writing shite on here. Sabbath has came up with the last two songs that are now the first on the hymn sheet. If ye were to start a song in the JHS, everyone's monocles' would fall oot. Its the same at away games. I would say were far from being happy clappers but your not going to firhill to watch football, you can watch amateurs doon yer local kick the baw as hard as they can oot the park. Lets hear ye's back the team at firhill because on here you's are wasting your time

Ok then. Lets hear and see ye's aw at the game. Sitting on yer hauns at the game says a lot more than writing shite on here. Sabbath has came up with the last two songs that are now the first on the hymn sheet. If ye were to start a song in the JHS, everyone's monocles' would fall oot. Its the same at away games. I would say were far from being happy clappers but your not going to firhill to watch football, you can watch amateurs doon yer local kick the baw as hard as they can oot the park. Lets hear ye's back the team at firhill because on here you's are wasting your time

You’re a zoomer mate. Unlike you I’m at Firhill game in, game out. Some fans seem more content when our team is struggling, I’m happy to call them out.

Edited by ClydebankJag

Great result but let’s not go overboard ..... it was a poor game of football with countless aimless long balls and only a few passages of quality play and they were awful in the second half while we improved

We will need to up our level against better opposition

I agree with you that we'll have to up our game, but I don't think it's fair to talk about anyone 'going overboard'; particularly in the context where there are people calling to sack the manager after any defeat.

That game was very significant in several respects, in terms of our position and state of mind in advance of the break, but also because the team didn't retreat into their lead, looked confident, and won a league game comfortably for the first time this season. That's what left me feeling better than previous wins.

Happy new year, by the way. :-)

You’re a zoomer mate. Unlike you I’m at Firhill game in, game out. Some fans seem more content when our team is struggling, I’m happy to call them out.

Call who oot? Up in inverness and dingwall. If ye want can join our singing section in the NS. Ive been there too. Join in or make some up, its awfy quiet in Clydebank

Edited by MonehJags

Barton is majestic at sweeper. I had forgotten just what a great player he is.

Shame on Archie for wasting him in midfield where he was the worst player every week. Anyway it's sorted now so I forgive him.

As for Sammon, wow, I didn't see that coming. Do we offer him a deal on the strength of 1 game? If he plays like that he could be a great asset.

Cmon wee Andy, the next star?

• Like 1

Watched the sportscene highlights. Some things I noticed:

Sammon used Dools as a dummy really well. Saw him turn towards him which took out the defender - genius

Dools did a fake header to put the defender off - genius

Dools looked sharp and into everything

Sammon was running like a steam train! Unstoppable

Mcginns tackle was poor but Keillor Dunn did everything he could to tell the ref what he should be doing about it - walloper!

McCarthy does like those clever through balls- genius

We could have scored more

Well played boys !

• Like 1