Queens Park Game 2nd January

dpj

Incredibly disappointing result. Was a big chance to really shake up the top of the table. What next I don't know, but it's pretty obvious the managerial team won't be changed, especially for financial reasons. I still feel that this league will have plenty of twists and turns. We are capable of beating Dundee and Morton at home for sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

McCall outsmarted again. 3 times.

I think we have to factor in that Coyle managed in the English Premier and took Bolton to there highest league finish in the Premier in there History - he is backed by Willie Haughey Financially & Lianne Dempster as CEO he is a good Manager

- we cannot compare QP of Old with the current set up - Im not making excuses for the result but we have to look at things realistically - QP are a stronger set up on the Park and Off it compared to Thistle  currently - if we start getting beat by teams with less resources- or who are Part Time then thats a different measure 

I also think having played under McCall on numerous occasions Coyle has the measure of him tactics wise    

Irrespective of any financial implications, I cannot see the Board changing the manager now.  First of all, I suspect the Board will seek some stability after the last few months.  Second, there is no time to appoint someone and take advantage of the transfer window.

The team's results are volatile, with very few draws, and who knows what might happen in January and February.  If the team is mid-table come mid/end Febrary and safe from relegation, then the Board might review the situation.

As I posted above, financial constraints could be overcome if change is sought.

Really frustrating day today.

Got into the ground 10 minutes late to find out we were already 1 down due to the shambles of a turnstile system. I don't know why they didn't delay the kick off when there were clearly hundreds outside at 3 o'clock.

Thought we played ok for the second 25 minutes of the first half. Got better with Hodson in place of MacKinnon but when Graham got subbed with Fitzpatrick we had nothing up front. Dowds was well out of sorts, Mullen anonymous and Weston whilst full of running still looks too lightweight.

Referee was clueless. Completely taken in by McPake rolling about and ended up in effect booking 3 of our players. Brownlie's tackle was spot on and wasn't a foul never mind a yellow card.

Graham probably should have scored first half and apart from Hodson hitting the post we really didn't bother their keeper as our final ball and shooting were laughably bad. 

Positives from today was Docherty returning and another 45 minutes of Kevin Holt's return.

Lots of negatives but main thing today surfaced was the thought that our recent good results and performances from Fitzpatrick have been more down to playing poor teams with bigger injury problems than our team improving to anywhere close to title contenders.

Queens Park play a system that completely stops our main attacking threat. With their 2 wingers stopping Milne and McMillan being able to overlap we really didn't have a plan B. You could see McCall tried to alter it at halftime by getting Docherty and Hodson to sit and allow Turner to move alongside Graham.

However to be this late into the season and still starting with such a weak midfield against one of the strongest teams in the league is a poor reflection on the coaching staff. To also not be able to force a save from the opposition keeper when a goal behind again isn't a sign that the coaching staff had any great masterplan.

Still think we need a centrehalf and midfielder in this window to make the playoffs but after today I think we might need them be slightly younger players that hopefully become mainstays for next season.

Also think we need to seriously look at moving McCall to Director of football and give Graham a go as head coach. McCall's recruitment is decent but the team don't look as well coached as others with lesser parts. So think it's time for Scally and Archibald to move on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, laukat said:

Really frustrating day today.

Got into the ground 10 minutes late to find out we were already 1 down due to the shambles of a turnstile system. I don't know why they didn't delay the kick off when there were clearly hundreds outside at 3 o'clock.

Thought we played ok for the second 25 minutes of the first half. Got better with Hodson in place of MacKinnon but when Graham got subbed with Fitzpatrick we had nothing up front. Dowds was well out of sorts, Mullen anonymous and Weston whilst full of running still looks too lightweight.

Referee was clueless. Completely taken in by McPake rolling about and ended up in effect booking 3 of our players. Brownlie's tackle was spot on and wasn't a foul never mind a yellow card.

Graham probably should have scored first half and apart from Hodson hitting the post we really didn't bother their keeper as our final ball and shooting were laughably bad. 

Positives from today was Docherty returning and another 45 minutes of Kevin Holt's return.

Lots of negatives but main thing today surfaced was the thought that our recent good results and performances from Fitzpatrick have been more down to playing poor teams with bigger injury problems than our team improving to anywhere close to title contenders.

Queens Park play a system that completely stops our main attacking threat. With their 2 wingers stopping Milne and McMillan being able to overlap we really didn't have a plan B. You could see McCall tried to alter it at halftime by getting Docherty and Hodson to sit and allow Turner to move alongside Graham.

However to be this late into the season and still starting with such a weak midfield against one of the strongest teams in the league is a poor reflection on the coaching staff. To also not be able to force a save from the opposition keeper when a goal behind again isn't a sign that the coaching staff had any great masterplan.

Still think we need a centrehalf and midfielder in this window to make the playoffs but after today I think we might need them be slightly younger players that hopefully become mainstays for next season.

Also think we need to seriously look at moving McCall to Director of football and give Graham a go as head coach. McCall's recruitment is decent but the team don't look as well coached as others with lesser parts. So think it's time for Scally and Archibald to move on.

Agree. The turnstile system is a joke. Almost as bad as one wee woman in a pie stall for 1200 away fans. 

9 minutes ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Not long back from that.

Toothless about sums it up, - together with an awful midfield.

Wonder what platitudes they'll churn out!  (think I know the answer to that!)

McCall seems quite chuffed with the performance.

Undoubtedly we improved in the second half but it was much a case of pass marks for effort and considerably fewer marks for gumption. Our final ball passed into their penalty area was woeful. Crosses in were slightly better but poorly contested.

Brownlie was unfairly booked but the other three bookings were unnecessary, especially Graham' yellow. Fortunately he's not collecting many cards this season. 

Can't argue with the result. Queens Park started brightly and their forwards were carrying the ball into the final third and indeed the Thistle box with ease and grabbed  the opener.

Was mostly Thistle and looked decent in patches but Ferrie only had one good save and Hodson rattled the woodwork early in the second half.

We huffed and puffed but it was QP who blew out the lights of the contest with a nice goal on the break..

Big win for the home(from hone) team and we are looking at the playoffs rather than the title but perhaps more twists and turns to come.

Usual shambles at the turnstiles and it took about half an hour to get a pie apparently.

On a slightly more serious note I headed down the stairs at the back of the shed and went on my c**t on black ice. Luckily just burst my arm a wee bit and nothing broken but you'd think they'd have at least scattered some grit on them? Hopefully everyone else got out without mishap.

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Brownlie was unfairly booked but the other three bookings were unnecessary, especially Graham' yellow. Fortunately he's not collecting many cards this season. 

Lawless got booked for not being 10 yards back. Although it wasn't ntil after he had booked him that he stepped out the difference from the spot of the foul 😂

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, eljaggo said:

If cash is short, and the Board decides to change the management, then they could possibly borrow against the savings of going to a smaller management team. Three managers is ridiculous for a club of our size.

We only have McCall, the two assistants and Kenny Arthur as GK coach as far as I'm aware. .

Stenhousemuir binned their nanager and coaching stuff a month or so ago and they had 6 or 7 departures. 

We possibly need more help on the coaching side rather than less.

12 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Lawless got booked for not being 10 yards back. Although it wasn't ntil after he had booked him that he stepped out the difference from the spot of the foul 😂

And he didn't notice that the Queens Park player have moved the ball closer to Lawless. 

Couldn't see clearly from the terrace behind the goal but in the first half Milne ran right throw the centre of the Queens defence and looked to be brought down for a clear foul that I thought was in the box. However the ref didn't award a foul never mind a penalty.

Add to that slightly later on McPake goes through the back of McMillan near the touchline. Clearly a yellow card yet all we got was a thrown in and McMillan got spoken to. 

Not biased refereeing just poor refereeing.

• Like 1

McCall's troupe are never going to work out how to defend against one-touch passing on plastic, are they? ☹️

We'll all have come away with a dose of bird flu after visiting that disgusting coup, but if you really want shivers down your spine, just read the (free) online QP programme, which outlines the professional services they employ. (They aren't two extra coaches.)

58 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Can't argue with the result. Queens Park started brightly and their forwards were carrying the ball into the final third and indeed the Thistle box with ease and grabbed  the opener.

Was mostly Thistle and looked decent in patches but Ferrie only had one good save and Hodson rattled the woodwork early in the second half.

We huffed and puffed but it was QP who blew out the lights of the contest with a nice goal on the break..

Big win for the home(from hone) team and we are looking at the playoffs rather than the title but perhaps more twists and turns to come.

Usual shambles at the turnstiles and it took about half an hour to get a pie apparently.

On a slightly more serious note I headed down the stairs at the back of the shed and went on my c**t on black ice. Luckily just burst my arm a wee bit and nothing broken but you'd think they'd have at least scattered some grit on them? Hopefully everyone else got out without mishap.

Think we were just behind you when you went on your erse. Hope you're ok.

35 minutes ago, laukat said:

And he didn't notice that the Queens Park player have moved the ball closer to Lawless. 

Couldn't see clearly from the terrace behind the goal but in the first half Milne ran right throw the centre of the Queens defence and looked to be brought down for a clear foul that I thought was in the box. However the ref didn't award a foul never mind a penalty.

Add to that slightly later on McPake goes through the back of McMillan near the touchline. Clearly a yellow card yet all we got was a thrown in and McMillan got spoken to. 

Not biased refereeing just poor refereeing.

I was in the stand at that end of the park ,it should have at least been a foul if not a penalty clearly brought down. Q.P  gave us 3 clear warnings before they scored the first goal , cut us open far to easy, I think we will be lucky to make top 4.......................................

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

My grandson also fell on black ice  as well 

Same place 

He's Just back from hospital  and has damage tissue  

Off work for a week 

• Sad 1