Morton Match - 7th January

Fawlty Towers

Quick talking points

Really flat game

We miss Harry Milne hugely

Graham having zero impact today. Lucky not to be booked for blatant dive.

Why is the Morton goalie time wasting? I would have thought that they would be keen to try and win?

After several minutes onfield treatment for Ambrose, why did ref blow almost immediately for halftime with no additional time added?

Would be good to see Tiff on after halftime. I would hope not at expense of Lawless and Fitzy who have been among our more effective players. Maybe some reorganisation required?

21 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Good on you Sandy. Unfortunately I have totally fallen out of love with football.  Can't get excited anymore with it.

Your kidding?  Can’t have fallen out of love that much if your one of the most prolific posters on here (regardless of whether people agree or not with your posts) and about the World Cup surely?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Quick talking points

Really flat game

We miss Harry Milne hugely

Graham having zero impact today. Lucky not to be booked for blatant dive.

Why is the Morton goalie time wasting? I would have thought that they would be keen to try and win?

After several minutes onfield treatment for Ambrose, why did ref blow almost immediately for halftime with no additional time added?

Would be good to see Tiff on after halftime. I would hope not at expense of Lawless and Fitzy who have been among our more effective players. Maybe some reorganisation required?

Can’t believe a couple saying there’s no point signing shaw because we are well covered.  I’d say Graham needs competition he’s been very poor in the 2023 games and Dowds has not done enough to challenge.  It’s exactly why we need Shaw in 

Poor performance but that could be a huge goal to secure the 3 points. 

Graham, Fitz, Hodson poor. 

Must protect Milne at all costs as he is a huge miss when not playing. 

Tiff arguably man of the match with his appearance…hopefully now the injury troubles are behind him and gets back to his best again. 

Get it right up the Morton fans in hospitality..embarrassing themselves again…lovely!…welcome anytime! 

1 minute ago, johnkebab71 said:

Poor performance but that could be a huge goal to secure the 3 points. 

Graham, Fitz, Hodson poor. 

Must protect Milne at all costs as he is a huge miss when not playing. 

Tiff arguably man of the match with his appearance…hopefully now the injury troubles are behind him and gets back to his best again. 

Get it right up the Morton fans in hospitality..embarrassing themselves again…lovely!…welcome anytime! 

Fitzpatrick was okay one.  Won us the penalty and did plenty of running 

We weren’t great today but certainly better than Morton who seemed content to come for a point. I don’t recall Sneddon having anything to do other than pick the ball out of the net from a badly defended needless free kick from a wayward pass.
Always nice to win in the last minute, a bonus was Imrie’s red card and the faces of the suddenly mute away fans in the hospitality section!

Thought we were quite wasteful in the final third. Tiffoney gave them something to worry about but we do need a couple of quality reinforcements. Perhaps we need to get through the cup game before we know what we can or cannot afford.

The league table underlines how essential this win is, teams above us have games in hand as to a couple below us. We can’t afford any further slip ups. A win at Dens would be a big win, defeat and another win for QP would pile on the pressure, although something needs to give between ICT v QP next week. 

Edited by JAG1970

Enjoyed the win after last week. However, imo we can't continue to play with Graham on his own up front. I would like to see Graham and Dowds start together. Again, big Anton had very little time to make an impact with the short time he was on. I also felt for Lawless today. There's no point playing him in  a position where he's fighting for long balls or where he's having to constantly scrap with the opposition to get the ball. 

7 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Enjoyed the win after last week. However, imo we can't continue to play with Graham on his own up front. I would like to see Graham and Dowds start together. Again, big Anton had very little time to make an impact with the short time he was on. I also felt for Lawless today. There's no point playing him in  a position where he's fighting for long balls or where he's having to constantly scrap with the opposition to get the ball. 

Sorry can't agree with you. Put two upfront and we'll revert to hoofball. Anyway it's fairly obvious we need two mids in front of the defence, albeit to do the job of one competent ball winner. I wouldn't drop Fitzpatrick (Tiffoney), Lawless or Turner just to accommodate a rather immobile forward. I would tho' emphasise the importance of those three I mention to not leave Graham isolated. 

That was the poorest I have seen us play at Firhill this season which made the late winner all the sweeter. It was a dour game...Morton had improved from their comically bad last visit to Firhill but they are just a team of spoilers...I believe this was their first defeat in 10 games which is surely another sign that a team wouldn't have to be very good to make the play-offs in this League. I would be appalled if ex Jags Crawford, Muirhead & Quitongo were anywhere near our first team.

I was quite pleased that we were getting a corner from Fitzpatrick's shot...I was level with Aiden when he hit the shot and wasn't sure there was a deflection...it might have been outside the box...so clearly a stonewaller 😀. I am sure I have seen us lose their goal at least four times previously this season. I didn't realise the winner was a lucky deflection too...tremendous!

That wee nyaff Imrie being red carded was a highlight...it was also good to shut up the Morton morons in Hospitality and the result will hopefully sicken the high proportion of Greenock tossers who post on Pie and Bovril...it might even stop the whingers on this Forum from repeating the same "McCall's rubbish" post 20 times in succession at least until the next game.