Falkirk Viaplay Cup Tie - 22nd July

Fawlty Towers

I might be wrong, but I think there’s a scenario where all teams have 6 points. DU could win on goal difference.

Du & Peterhead win tonight, Spartans beat us and Peterhead draw with Falkirk & win on pens. 

Unlikely but not impossible 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ancipital said:

Goal difference is the first tiebreaker if it comes to that , full list below 

If clubs are level on points at the end of the group stage, the criteria for separating them is 1) goal difference, 2) goals scored, 3) away goals scored, 4) matches won, 5) away matches won, 6) head-to-head record, 7) drawing of lots.

If we draw against Spartans and win the penalty shoot out, while Falkirk beat Peterhead by a single goal, it may become rather complicated, depending on the number of goals scored in each game. So if we are going to draw we would be better to do so 5-5 rather than 0-0. 

Indeed, if in the meantime Spartans beat Peterhead by a single goal, I think that they will be in the same position as us. So we should agree to exchange 10 goals equally at the beginning of our game and then start really playing at 5-5.

Ma heid's buzzled!

Just now, partickthedog said:

If we draw against Spartans and win the penalty shoot out, while Falkirk beat Peterhead by a single goal, it may become rather complicated, depending on the number of goals scored in each game. So if we are going to draw we would be better to do so 5-5 rather than 0-0. 

Indeed, if in the meantime Spartans beat Peterhead by a single goal, I think that they will be in the same position as us. So we should agree to exchange 10 goals equally at the beginning of our game and then start really playing at 5-5.

Ma heid's buzzled!

It’s simple- we beat the league 2 team at home and go through.

1 minute ago, partickthedog said:

Ma heid's buzzled!

Let's keep it simple. Beat Spartans and we're through.

Who wants life to be simple? If you choose to follow Thistle, you sign up to a life of non-simplicity.

There is an alternative scenario. 

Peterhead beat the Spartans.

Peterhead draw with Falkirk and win the penalty shoot out.

We draw with Spartans. 

We can happily relax and lose the penalty shoot out.

Final table

Thistle     7

Dundee Utd     6

Falkirk     6

Peterhead     6

Spartans     5

Get through this and things could go our way.

Looks like most of the teams from the North East are going out.

St Johnstone, Dundee United, Inverness and Dundee look out already, with Raith looking like they could also struggle to progress.

I wonder who we'll get of Ross County or Aberdeen should we win on Saturday.

4 hours ago, CotterJag said:

Get through this and things could go our way.

Looks like most of the teams from the North East are going out.

St Johnstone, Dundee United, Inverness and Dundee look out already, with Raith looking like they could also struggle to progress.

I wonder who we'll get of Ross County or Aberdeen should we win on Saturday.

Cove. You know how we love going there

Getting ahead of myself I know, but I'm sure 9 points would mean we go into next round unseeded. So chances are we'll draw one of the five top rated clubs (the ones in Europe).  On a likely outcome basis it looks to me the easiest tie we could get would be Airdrie. 

Others on here will be much better re permutations. What I do know is a win* on Saturday will see us into the next round. That round takes place 10 days or so before the transfer window closes. So the draw for Round 2 could have much significance.

*like DD says if we can't win at home against Spartans we don't deserve to go thru. 

11 minutes ago, falklandal1 said:

Thanks for that,got out Wednesday,pretty immobile but on the road to recovery.

Good to hear you are out. Hope you get back to Firhill soon. If when you are ready to get back to Firhill you still have mobility issues contact Dougie McIness Disability Access Officer, he is very helpful, his contact details are at the official site.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Good to hear you are out. Hope you get back to Firhill soon. If when you are ready to get back to Firhill you still have mobility issues contact Dougie McIness Disability Access Officer, he is very helpful, his contact details are at the official site.

Thanks,that is very helpful,much obliged..