Hearts Viaplay Cup - Sunday 20 August

jagfox

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

OK - 30 Minutes to go against Airdrie 

Lost a 2 Goal Lead to Raith Rovers  - Similar Timing 

Three Goal Lead in the Play Offs - Similar timing 

Thats called a pattern 

I've not called for him to be sacked - Ive said its a results driven Business & we have to stop accepting poor performances - because the Manager was a "Legend" as a Player  

Wow , Doolan has lost a Cup Game against a SPFL team and 1 game in the League and where we are at just now we won’t win every week 

The actual feat of actually getting to the play off final was remarkable from when he took over.

How are we ever going to build our Club with guys you like around 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Wow , Doolan has lost a Cup Game against a SPFL team and 1 game in the League and where we are at just now we won’t win every week 

The actual feat of actually getting to the play off final was remarkable from when he took over.

This. We got to last 16 which would be par for our ranking in Scottish football.

Queens game on Saturday is looking more important to get a good performance.

As has been said - no complaints about the result but more the manner of it.

At least Raith, Airdrie, Morton Ayr and Stirling appear to have put up a reasonable show of resistance against higher rated opposition - we seem to have folded, which is disappointing but not terminal at this stage of the season. Even if/when QP beat us on Saturday a gap of 11 points (with game in hand of course), whilst unappealing isn't insurmountable, yet. 

Think you want to reflect on performance as much as on results. The manner we ended last season was high performance stuff. This season every game bar Tannadice we've been poor. Been to all. 

Clearly then we miss Docherty, Turner & Tiffoney. Not including Holt as he was playing in Milne's position. Think McInroy may replace Turner adequately enough but I don't think the other two have been replaced. Docherty I feel could have been replaced within budget.

Despite the number of midfielders I can see Neilson being drafted in to play defensive mid. We'd have to have signed another centreback tho' as I think we have to break up the current pairing at the back.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Think you want to reflect on performance as much as on results. The manner we ended last season was high performance stuff. This season every game bar Tannadice we've been poor. Been to all. 

Clearly then we miss Docherty, Turner & Tiffoney. Not including Holt as he was playing in Milne's position. Think McInroy may replace Turner adequately enough but I don't think the other two have been replaced. Docherty I feel could have been replaced within budget.

Despite the number of midfielders I can see Neilson being drafted in to play defensive mid. We'd have to have signed another centreback tho' as I think we have to break up the current pairing at the back.

Turner was always going to be a huge miss, such a creative player 

Watched the highlights. Graham's own goal looks to me like a goal that a team low on confidence lose. The mistake for Shankland's goal look like the sort that happens to a team who's heads have gone down.

We really need a strong voice in the middle of the park. I've seen mention of us looking at getting Connor Smith from Hearts however I would rather we looked at Andy Halliday if we're looking at any other Hearts players.

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

He lost a Play Off Final 3-0 up with 20 Minutes to go - any other Manager would have been crucified for that - but he has "legend" Status - so its OK 

He made the Play Offs due to results from other Games going in our favour a Goal the wrong way in the other Games and we would have missed out 

Yes the performances on the run up to Ross County were very good 

Regards Hearts - we were not remotely at the Races on any level 

As I've said- its the same feeling as the Relegation Season from the Premier - there is an air of Complacency on the Park & Off it 

As for "Guys like me" not sure what your getting at ? - Are we not to Question the Manager because he is a "legend" - are Players Like Banzo Automatically due Two Year Contracts because he is a "Legend" are "guys like me" not allowed to Question that ? 

The Signing of Bannigan should be putting out Big Alarm Bells on the Culture of the Club-  and shows lack of ambition - that Money could have been used to better effect on the Squad 

On a personal level I actually like Dools - He is a Nice Guy - but this is Football - your judged on results

As Ive said in a previous post - you keep throwing away Leads later on in Games - you look at Fitness & Tactics   

I don't go to away games these days so i can't comment on our performances in them, but reading the comments from those that have been at them it has been a difficult watch from a Thistle point of view.

I have been at our 3 home games so far and imo we have played some good football, but these games have also included some very slack passing, lack of pace and very nervy defending.

Doolan will not be sacked and imo he shouldn't be. I say that not because he was and always be a legend for us as a player, but because he took over a team that some on this forum said would be involved in the relegation playoffs and not promotion ones. He had 13 league games and we got 24 points and only lost 1 game. 

We then played some of the best football that i remember watching in the playoffs.

The big problem is that last 20 minutes against Ross County when we just capitulated and the same as he gets credit and praise for how well we played before that, Doolan has to take his share of blame for that happening.

This season has really only started so as i have said in a previous post let's see where we are after the first quarter of the league is completed, but we do need to see some signs of improvement soon and 3 points on Saturday would be a very welcome start.

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

He lost a Play Off Final 3-0 up with 20 Minutes to go - any other Manager would have been crucified for that - but he has "legend" Status - so its OK 

He made the Play Offs due to results from other Games going in our favour a Goal the wrong way in the other Games and we would have missed out 

As I've said- its the same feeling as the Relegation Season from the Premier - there is an air of Complacency on the Park & Off it 

As for "Guys like me" not sure what your getting at ? - Are we not to Question the Manager because he is a "legend" - are Players Like Banzo Automatically due Two Year Contracts because he is a "Legend" are "guys like me" not allowed to Question that ? 

The Signing of Bannigan should be putting out Big Alarm Bells on the Culture of the Club-  and shows lack of ambition - that Money could have been used to better effect on the Squad 

On a personal level I actually like Dools - He is a Nice Guy - but this is Football - your judged on results

As Ive said in a previous post - you keep throwing away Leads later on in Games - you look at Fitness & Tactics   

The results in the play off games were tremendous Ayr and Queens Park especially 

We lost a play off decider over 2 legs on the  lottery that is penalty tickets .

Re Doolan on that game in Dingwall , think there were mistakes , in hindsight he should have freshened up the team as it was 1 game too many for some of them .

I don’t believe there is any Complacency on or off the park , most supporters are with KD or they wouldn’t have sold 3000 season tickets.

So basically to summarise you’re not a fan of Stuart Bannigan 

I think you need to ask yourself whether you think any other manager would have got us anywhere near the playoffs let alone the final last season, given the circumstances the club found themselves in. 

One of the things that Bannigan does is make himself available to receive the ball and most of the time finds a Thistle player with his pass to continue or start a move. Time may be catching up on him, but I think he still has a part to play.

3 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think you need to ask yourself whether you think any other manager would have got us anywhere near the playoffs let alone the final last season, given the circumstances the club found themselves in. 

One of the things that Bannigan does is make himself available to receive the ball and most of the time finds a Thistle player with his pass to continue or start a move. Time may be catching up on him, but I think he still has a part to play.

OK - the facts are that we got into the Playoffs due to results at other Games - we squeezed in by the Skin of our Teeth 

No one is disputing how we got to the Final - however serious Questions have to be asked regards being 3-0 with 20 Minutes to go and blowing it - when that sort of thing starts happening the next Season its an issue 

Bannigan could be replaced by a Younger Fitter Player - he did nothing that in any other Club that would get you a 2 Year Contract Extension 

The Signing of Bannigan - losing leads in the last 20 Minutes - its pointing to far too cosy a set up on Multi Levels and as Ive said - the same feeling under Archie the Season we got relegated     

As for Season Tickets - lots of people stopped buying them under JLo - so you cant equate increases simply due to Dools     

17 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

The results in the play off games were tremendous Ayr and Queens Park especially 

We lost a play off decider over 2 legs on the  lottery that is penalty tickets .

Re Doolan on that game in Dingwall , think there were mistakes , in hindsight he should have freshened up the team as it was 1 game too many for some of them .

I don’t believe there is any Complacency on or off the park , most supporters are with KD or they wouldn’t have sold 3000 season tickets.

So basically to summarise you’re not a fan of Stuart Bannigan 

I have never said there is a "Conspiracy" - I think we are far too cosy on Multi Levels to be successful   

36 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I don't go to away games these days so i can't comment on our performances in them, but reading the comments from those that have been at them it has been a difficult watch from a Thistle point of view.

I have been at our 3 home games so far and imo we have played some good football, but these games have also included some very slack passing, lack of pace and very nervy defending.

Doolan will not be sacked and imo he shouldn't be. I say that not because he was and always be a legend for us as a player, but because he took over a team that some on this forum said would be involved in the relegation playoffs and not promotion ones. He had 13 league games and we got 24 points and only lost 1 game. 

We then played some of the best football that i remember watching in the playoffs.

The big problem is that last 20 minutes against Ross County when we just capitulated and the same as he gets credit and praise for how well we played before that, Doolan has to take his share of blame for that happening.

This season has really only started so as i have said in a previous post let's see where we are after the first quarter of the league is completed, but we do need to see some signs of improvement soon and 3 points on Saturday would be a very welcome start.

Archie was also a Legend - he should have been sacked when we got relegated - we need to stop this "Legend" stuff - Managers are judged on results - thats it   

Don’t think it was “legend status” that enabled him to avoid crucifixion for the collapse, rather he had turned around a failing team and got us to the play off final ….. and humiliated QP and Ayr in the process….. which would have seemed fanciful in January/February. 

But aside from the Dundee Utd game we’ve ranged between unconvincing and poor so far this season and I guess by the end of the first quarter we’ll have a more established view of whether he has signed well/badly, and whether he is tactically astute/promising/hopeless. But at the very least he deserves the first quarter before people start calling for change (not that you are), but folk are right to question the performances.

IF he failed then I’d be all for the breaking up of any “coziness” and going external but there’s no guarantees as we saw with Caldwell. Legend or not, the only measure is performances and results. But I’m getting ahead of myself… it’s still August! 

3 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Archie was also a Legend - he should have been sacked when we got relegated - we need to stop this "Legend" stuff - Managers are judged on results - thats it   

If you read my post, i am not saying he deserves to be our manager because he was a legend as a player but because of what he did when he took over as manager. I also acknowledge he has to take share of blame for us losing out in playoff final.

You seem to concentrate on last day of season and us just getting 4th by the skin of our teeth, but where you end up in the league is decided over 36 league games and not just one night of  games, unless there is a pandemic or some other momentous happening. I have also praised McCall for the squad he built in other threads, but he seemed to have taken them as far as he could and Doolan did take that same squad up another couple of levels until that very costly collapse at Dingwall. For me that is why he deserves time to turn it around and not because he is a club legend as a player.

As for Archie i thought he should have been sacked when a managerless Kilmarnock beat us 2-0 in October 2017, but after that game we went on a decent run of results.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

You still backed Ian McCall after a run of 6 defeats in a row ?

Think Doolan has lost 4 games out of 26/27 games

I’m not aware that anyone isn’t backing Doolan or asking for him to be sacked so let’s put that up one side. Hopefully he will be successful.

what happened last season is in the past. Like any manager he will be judged on results and performances this season. It has not been a great start but a win on Saturday would greatly change the mood.

There seems to be a view that this season is a transition year and therefore we should not expect anything other than mid table mediocrity . That is wrong .

with our player budget there is no reason why we can’t finish in the top four anything else would be failure and would rightly leave Doolan in a difficult place. 

it’s up to Doolan to get the best out of this squad.

Edited by javeajag
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

You still backed Ian McCall after a run of 6 defeats in a row ?

Think Doolan has lost 4 games out of 26/27 games

Managers live or die by results 

There were three objections from myself ref the McCall sacking 

1. We were still in play off contention - however other fans thought we were slipping - fully accept this view 

2. The way it was handled was disgusting - rushing back from there Cozy Seats in the Rangers Directors Box -to sack him after an excellent performance at Ibrox - there was no reason why it could have not waited until the Monday - you don't treat people like that  - those involved should be no where near this Club

3.And this is at the Core of my anger - we were quite literally going bust - no cash - rather than deal with the Cash issue -they choose to sack the Manager who was a point off the play off spot ( the same Manager who kept us afloat by getting us into the Cup Tie that kept us afloat with the Rangers £300K ) 

Now on point 1 - fans have differing views - fully accept that - on points 2&3 -disgraceful behaviour