Davie McParland

A good few years ago we were going to build a brand new training complex named after the great man. Very apt given the youngsters he so successfully managed. A fitting tribute I'm sure we all agreed. That of course fell thru and posting today it appears very unlikely that such a venture will be resurrected in the foreseeable future.

It's now over five years since Davie sadly passed away. Yet we appear no further forward in honouring the man in a similar manner to what had originally been proposed. Our three grandstands are already spoken for. All very suitable tributes to three people who did so much for our Club. Unfortunately we don't have a fourth stand we could name the McParland Stand. Even if there were plans to build on the Bing any stand would likely be a small affair. Thus hardly a fitting tribute to arguably our greatest ever Club Legend.

Occurs to me that so recently becoming a fully fledged fan owned club would be an ideal time to find a way of suitably honouring Davie McParland. I'm certain I'm hardly alone in believing so. For instance I note the first pin issued by TJF was the "McParland Pin" , something I assume was not a mere random choice.

Was wondering (reason for this post) if anyone could suggest what could be a practical and worthy way we could honour Davie in perpetuity, akin to Messrs Lambie, Husband & Weir? Tricky one, I know.  

Excellent topic. The training complex was touted to all the press by the club, just like the development of the city end of the stadium..... all just more  bullsh*t from PTFC. It has been a shameful insult to the memory of the great man, and I would also say to his family. However, as the club has previous of stabbing Davie in the back (remember the understanding that Hugh Strachan would be kept on as a coach?), he might well shrug his shoulders and say "No surprise there."

Ideas?: Commission Brewdog for a new beer to be known as McParland's PT (pale and tasty). Could start a trend at many clubs!

Or, the McParland Pie.

Or, a supporter-funded statue somewhere prominent inside the stadium (or in a specially constructed alcove on the facade of the main stand overlooking Firhill Road; at least until it gets demolished).

26 minutes ago, Very Bitter Jag said:

The access up the city end was renamed McParland Way? As much as Alan Rough did not cover himself in glory, I don't think we should start airbrushing him from our history, despite everything, he is still our most capped player, most appearances (I think) and 71 player. 

Sorry I should've mentioned that in my post. I feel that's a bit low key in terms of comparison with others honoured. Put another way I doubt a sponsor would hold it in the same value as the JLS for instance. Perhaps in conjunction with something else it would have sufficient merit. Just what, I don't know. 

18 minutes ago, Very Bitter Jag said:

A McParland Statue at bottom of McParland Way? 

I'd love that, but to be honest, in Maryhill  I wonder how long it would last.  I seem to remember that the Loby Dosser statue in Woodlands either got nicked or badly damaged. That's why I suggested somewhere inside the stadium, or else erected at a height in or in front of the facade of the main stand.

I'd contribute to it. (A statue, not the theft or damage!)

Edited by Jaggernaut

For real though, I can’t think of anything as appropriate as the training complex.

Awarding the academy/young player of the year with the McParland Trophy?  I’m too American to understand his full impact, but as the OP said, if I understand it correctly it’s really something on the level of a training ground.

The relatively modern convention in football of naming infrastructure after significant figures in a club's history inevitable brings with it issues regarding opinions and the creation of a hierarchy as to the relative significance of those who have served the club.

In my view it is a convention that, given it's potential for disagreement, should perhaps be avoided but as the club has gone down that particular naming road I personally think that the omission of a suitable tribute to Davie MacParland within the ground is, at best, regrettable and, at worst, unforgiveable.  

5 hours ago, 1876 said:

Have we full control of the petershill park if so rename it the David macparland  Park 

No we don't. It's owned by Glasgow City Council.

The Partick Thistle Charitable Trust signed a 25-year lease for use of the premises after GlasgowLife relinquished theirs, back in January 2021. They signed-up to a concessionary rent of £750 per annum.

Note, this isn't the Club, but a completely separate organisation (both legally and financially). The Club (formally) has absolutely nothing to do with Petershill, save for the fact that the women's team (operationally independent of the Club) also uses the facility for its home games and training.

As part of that lease agreement, the Charitable Trust made commitments to maintain access to the facility for various other groups, including Glasgow City women's team and the Petershill men's team.

On the main topic, I completely agree there should be a suitable McParland tribute connected with the Club. I raised this at TJF's board meeting last night and we are all keen for folk to feed suggestions into us.

I feel naming (or renaming) a part of the stadium doesnt do justice to what McParland achieved as a player and manager I'd be supportive of a statue placed outside the JHS near the entrance to hospitality. Appreciate there's the possibility of it being damaged if it's outside (as opposed to  somewhere inside the stadium), but any tribute needs to be easily seen by anyone coming to Firhill.

4 hours ago, elevenone said:

Agree and we have signed a fair few in last few years.  :D

Most statuesque player I ever saw for us must be Sammy Johnston. I actually thought that his C-3PO-like movements were due to some kind of physical disability.

I was right: a footballing disability.

A close second is yon Dundee United loanee keeper in the 90s. Never made a save, because he never moved...... until it was too late. Worst keeper we ever had.

On 8/30/2023 at 1:14 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Most statuesque player I ever saw for us must be Sammy Johnston. I actually thought that his C-3PO-like movements were due to some kind of physical disability.

A close second is yon Dundee United loanee keeper in the 90s. Never made a save, because he never moved...... until it was too late. Worst keeper we ever had.

Trying to think who this goalie was? 🤔 Maybe my memory has blocked him out on purpose.  It’s saying something given a few of the ‘goalies’ we have had in recent times.

On 8/30/2023 at 1:14 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Our Sammy always displayed a great economy of movement...

I honestly never understood why we named the Main Stand the Colin Weir Stand - it was long before "buying the club for the fans" he had actually put in less cash to the Club than Jim Oliver and to this day I thought it was a ridiculous decision - where we are now in the position of not being able to honour one of our Greatest Servants by the traditional method of naming a Stand after him 

I also think there is a wider message we have to consider - in Football & many other Sports Stands are named after those who have excelled and worked hard etc to do so - what does it say to Young People when you can get a Stand at a Football Club named after you for picking six numbers correctly 

I have nothing against Colin Weir - met him couple of times - seemed like a nice man - this is about decisions made that means we cannot honour Davie Mcparland in the correct manner