Thistle vs Morton

Lenziejag

6 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Alston for McInroy???

Credit to Alston. That was some finish. He also got himself into some other scoring positions and it is really the first time we have seen properly what he is about. Came across well in JagZone interview too. If he now begins to contribute positively and with Williams putting in a shift wherever he is placed, the squad depth is perhaps looking more encouraging than it was before.

I didn't think that Morton were as bad as some folk are saying. They certainly lacked width, but they got control of most of the loose balls and knocked it around to each other with accuracy and pace (compared to our failed 2-yard flicks and slow, generally useless sideways and backward passes). But our defence was able to cope. Fitpatrick is on great form. No failures in the team, even though the overall performance was well below excellent. Two beezer goals (Alston's reminded me of a scoring back-heeler by Trigger at Brockville).

As for Graham, he's like a big, mouthy child. With a history of mouthing off until he gets sent off. Deserves whatever punishment he's due. Not fit to be captain.

25 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

What did Graham do after being subbed? Did he say something to the referee as he was walking off?

He gestured towards the Morton fans. Not sure exactly what he did but seemed to be given a straight red rather than a 2nd yellow. This was after the substitution was completed or else we'd have been down to 10 men.

He then had a further go at the Morton fans on the way to the tunnel.

I don't know why he was so upset. They did sing he's a ****** but not sure if anything else that was worse. It seems a bit petty if that's all that upset him

Edited by jaggy

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

He gestured towards the Morton fans. Not sure exactly what he did but seemed to be given a straight red rather than a 2nd yellow. This was after the substitution was completed or else we'd have been down to 10 men.

I don't know why he was so upset. They did sing he's a ****** but not sure if anything else that was worse. It seems a bit petty if that's all that upset him

I am wondering if there is some past history between Brian Graham and Morton which pre-dates his time at Thistle. I have not noticed any particular issues involving Brian as we have played Morton over the past couple of seasons. However, at the latest game at Cappielow a couple of months back I was surprised at the level of animosity personally directed at Graham (but at no other individual Thistle player) for no apparent reason. That was what made we think that the roots of this must lie deeper.

It doesn’t matter what the provocation or history was. He is a professional footballer and the team captain so should be able to rise above it. Is that his second red card this season ? Could be a lengthy suspension so a good chance for Adeloye (and Diack) to show what they can do.

Edited by Dick Dastardly
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I am wondering if there is some past history between Brian Graham and Morton which pre-dates his time at Thistle. I have not noticed any particular issues involving Brian as we have played Morton over the past couple of seasons. However, at the latest game at Cappielow a couple of months back I was surprised at the level of animosity personally directed at Graham (but at no other individual Thistle player) for no apparent reason. That was what made we think that the roots of this must lie deeper.

I think he struggled badly at Morton as a young player and when he left made a remark to the effect that they were a brutal fan base to play in front of when low in confidence. Ironically he has played almost all of his career at a higher level than Morton. 

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It doesn’t matter what the provocation or history was. He is a professional footballer and the team captain so should be able to rise above it. Is that his second red card this season ? Could be a lengthy suspension so a good chance for Adeloye (and Doig) to show what they can do.

Whose Doig mate?

Overall, I thought that we weren’t too bad. Of course, we still suffer from the perennial Thistle problem of failing to take our chances when we are on top. We’re still lacking in midfield whether that’s something we can address during the window, is for others to answer, depending on the finances.Defence looked generally sound, but whether that’s because we were good or they were poor is again a matter for debate. Going forward, we looked decent and always looked a threat if some of our finishing was wayward, to say the least. The game should have been finished in the first-half and against a better standard of opponent, that would have come back to haunt us. Still how many games like this have we lost over the years and three points are three points.

10 hours ago, jaggy said:

Have heard some disgusting comments were directed at him re his brother (who sadly took his own life) and if true it would certainly explain his reaction coz that is crossing a big line even for a horrible fanbase such as Mortons.

Brian Graham really needs to get a grip of himself. What a way for a grown man to act. You'd think at his age he'd be able to take a bit of baiting from opposition fans.

His behaviour and an absolute car crash of a refereeing performance really took the shine off the game for me.

Edit, perhaps elevenone's post gives a bit of context. If true that's truly disgusting but not particularly surprising from Morton.

Edited by Muscat Jag

3 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Brian Graham really needs to get a grip of himself. What a way for a grown man to act. You'd think at his age he'd be able to take a bit of baiting from opposition fans.

His behaviour and an absolute car crash of a refereeing performance really took the shine off the game for me.

I have been a critic of Grahams discipline in past.  Stupid reds for dissent etc which proved costly etc, however if the shouts at him yesterday were true (and i know a Morton fan who confirms crossing the line stuff was shouted) then that is beyond baiting and we have to factor in most footballers would have reacted the same.  

11 hours ago, javeajag said:

‘ We played well for large spells  of the game ‘ …..’ our dominance in the second half ‘……I really hope Doolan doesn’t believe this really 

No, he most probably thinks we (the team) didn't play that well. But the emphasis is on "team". Was he disappointed with the individual displays is another thing entirely. Then again there's even some mitigation re the not so good teamwork, insomuch we had two enforced changes involving key players. Plus collectively poor but did at least put in a strong will to win performance that may perhaps not have been always evident this season. 

Sneddon did all that was asked of him defensively and along with Muirhead & Neilson kept a clean sheet from open play. Williams switching flanks with ease. McMillan getting more minutes than planned, queuing up to score if Alston missed the ball. Fitzpatrick (double marked most of the game) best player on the field. Excellent performance off the ball as well. Bannigan and Stanway working their socks off helping to retain possession (a rather rare occurrence). Lawless certainly did more than his excellent assist. 

So Doolan may well be being economical with the truth, but imo understandable given the amount of creditable performances. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Wonder what was the thinking behind puting the Morton fans  at the tunnel end of The Colin Weir stand , I cant remember this happening before ...................

I was asking myself the same question. Could it have been to minimise direct confrontation with Thistle fans in the John Lambie Stand?? But of course it brought the Morton fans closer to the Thistle dug-out, which had other consequences.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Wonder what was the thinking behind puting the Morton fans  at the tunnel end of The Colin Weir stand , I cant remember this happening before ...................

Yes, that was unusual. Maybe a "PC" decision ("sometimes left, sometimes right....")

Edited by Jaggernaut

5 hours ago, elevenone said:

Have heard some disgusting comments were directed at him re his brother (who sadly took his own life) and if true it would certainly explain his reaction coz that is crossing a big line even for a horrible fanbase such as Mortons.

That’s awful if they did that. Suicide is never the topic for comments or chants. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 11:39 AM, elevenone said:

I have been a critic of Grahams discipline in past.  Stupid reds for dissent etc which proved costly etc, however if the shouts at him yesterday were true (and i know a Morton fan who confirms crossing the line stuff was shouted) then that is beyond baiting and we have to factor in most footballers would have reacted the same.  

Brian didn't mention any specific shouts at him. He did say tho' he lost it partly because his parents were in the stand. 

Club waiting to hear the full extent of any disciplinary charges over and above the red card. Looks like it could be valued at two reds. Straight red for his exchange with the Morton support and a subsequent second yellow re his reappearance.

Usually hear quite quick about these sort of things but then again there's less urgency with no game this weekend.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Brian didn't mention any specific shouts at him. He did say tho' he lost it partly because his parents were in the stand. 

Club waiting to hear the full extent of any disciplinary charges over and above the red card. Looks like it could be valued at two reds. Straight red for his exchange with the Morton support and a subsequent second yellow re his reappearance.

Usually hear quite quick about these sort of things but then again there's less urgency with no game this weekend.

Am pleased he never heard any of those shouts then however I do know from Morton fan that some were aimed at him so hopefully they never heard either.  Will that be a suspension for cup game then as well or just next league game(s)?