January Transfer Window

JAG1970

On 4/1/2024 at 9:54 AM, Jaggernaut said:

Those highlights were entertaining throughout.

Entertaining and free. I’d be in favour of the TJF sponsoring this program, as the East Fife supporters association do, so that highlights and interviews could be free for Jags fans worldwide. Obviously I have zero idea if this is financially feasible. 😇

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't really know where to post this or even if there's any relevance to this article.

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-rovers-kyle-turner-partick-thistle-going-up-last-season-would-have-totally-changed-my-career-choice-4605989

Just thought it was strange to hear an ex player big us up, particularly when the two clubs who'll be paying his wages could potentially be our rivals in coming weeks. If I was a fan of either Raith or County I'd be thinking Turner thinks more of us both as a club and as fans than my own club.   

Interesting Kyle will be frozen out if Ross County are in the Premiership playoffs.

Similar rules that determine Dowds cannot play against us or come back to play in the playoffs as he was loaned out in the January window.

11 hours ago, Ancipital said:

"One hundred per cent, if Thistle had gone up to the Premiership last season I would have probably stayed at Thistle"

Very strange phrasing.

I don’t think it is strange. He obviously wanted to play in the premiership. He knew Thistle and where his place was here. Moving somewhere else is always a bit risky. But the deal would need to be right.

The transfer I most regret was losing Joe McBride to motherwell in 1962. The following season the Jags finished third in the league. With McBride's goals we would probably have finished second and who knows, maybe even have been crowned champions but for his loss and the Great Freeze which interrupted our season.  Joe went on to score around 60 plus goals in 88 games before signing for Jock Stein's Celtic where he would have been a member of the Lisbon Lions but for injury. Whose departure broke your heart?

21 hours ago, Ancipital said:

"One hundred per cent, if Thistle had gone up to the Premiership last season I would have probably stayed at Thistle"

Very strange phrasing.

It is strange but I believe in the current lexicon "100%" simply means "yes"

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ancipital said:

Very strange phrasing.

I don’t think that an O level in English is a required qualification to become a professional footballer.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, robphil said:

The transfer I most regret was losing Joe McBride to motherwell in 1962. The following season the Jags finished third in the league. With McBride's goals we would probably have finished second and who knows, maybe even have been crowned champions but for his loss and the Great Freeze which interrupted our season.  Joe went on to score around 60 plus goals in 88 games before signing for Jock Stein's Celtic where he would have been a member of the Lisbon Lions but for injury. Whose departure broke your heart?

The first one for whom I was old enough to really feel a sense of loss was Tommy Gibb. Then maybe Arthur Duncan. Those probably desensitized me to the inevitable break-up of the 1970 and 1971 super legends, all of whom I was sad to see leave, but a few seasons later I felt another pang of "injustice" at losing Alan Hansen before we got to enjoy more of his sheer class.

Edited by Jaggernaut

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Do you mean he would probably have possibly stayed on or that he would possibly have probably stayed on ?

I think I mean that the probability of Kyle staying with Thistle would have been greater than the possibility of his leaving Partick Thistle. In other words there would have been a rebuttable presumption that Kyle would have stayed with Thistle.

9 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

The first one for whom I was old enough to really feel a sense of loss was Tommy Gibb. Then maybe Arthur Duncan. Those probably desensitized me to the inevitable break-up of the 1970 and 1971 super legends, all of whom I was sad to see leave, but a few seasons later I felt another pang of "injustice" at losing Alan Hansen before we got to enjoy more of his sheer class.

After I got over Gibb and Duncan and most of the 1971 team, along comes Somner. Then he left. To St Mirren! I’ve disliked them ever since.

On 5/1/2024 at 3:28 PM, a f kincaid said:

I knew Dougie from work. He was a P/T player and worked in the Civil Service. He told me he didn't want to leave Thistle but St Mirren's offer was too good to refuse. Just another in a long line of players who Thistle wouldn't or couldn't retain. C'est la vie!

I had no idea he was part time. That’s incredible. I know he’s in our and St Mirren’s hall of fame.

He was great in the air, had a brilliant left foot, could hold up well. And he put it right up the opposition, especially the Old Firm. Perhaps didn’t have the pace for international team but he was definitely one of the best around.

Didn’t realise we had McAdam at the same time. Not a bad reserve/replacement.

41 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

I had no idea he was part time. That’s incredible. I know he’s in our and St Mirren’s hall of fame.

He was great in the air, had a brilliant left foot, could hold up well. And he put it right up the opposition, especially the Old Firm. Perhaps didn’t have the pace for international team but he was definitely one of the best around.

Didn’t realise we had McAdam at the same time. Not a bad reserve/replacement.

Our striking options in the period 1976 to 1980 included Doug Somner, Colin McAdam, Joe Craig & Jim Melrose and also Sandy Frame who might have reached similar levels if his career had not been ended by injury. Glory Days!

On transfer traumas, I went in the huff when Jimmy Bone was transferred mid-season and for a lowish fee, breaking-up the League Cup winning team and the dynamic Coulston & Bone partnership all too soon.

Almost as painful was the transfer of my all-time favourite Jag, Ronnie Glavin, to Celtic🤢