January Transfer Window

JAG1970

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not sure Crawford would cut it in the Premiership. Tongue in cheek maybe, but I'm uncertain how we can be offering terms when we don't know what division we'll be in. I can see some players dropping down to being considered squad players if we were to go up. These players tho' would be regular starters in our current division. Certainly Crawford currently qualifies at that level. Again even putting our unknown league status aside,  I'm wondering whether signing a central midfielder is that much of a priority

Neilson will return to Hearts, McInroy to Killie, Bannigan another year older, Alston hopefully away and McBeth now a central defender I would say central midfielder is quite a priority. 

Apparently Crawford has been playing as the man in behind their #9 and has plenty of energy and presses on the opposition.

Highly rated by Imrie as he has offered a new contract too.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not sure Crawford would cut it in the Premiership. Tongue in cheek maybe, but I'm uncertain how we can be offering terms when we don't know what division we'll be in. I can see some players dropping down to being considered squad players if we were to go up. These players tho' would be regular starters in our current division. Certainly Crawford currently qualifies at that level. Again even putting our unknown league status aside,  I'm wondering whether signing a central midfielder is that much of a priority

I think it's a bit of a juggling act and you can't leave all recruitment until the outcome of the playoffs is known. Maybe there's some conditional contract terms - additional payments if we end up in top division sort of thing.

I think it makes good sense to get a few players in early, especially players like Crawford who are obvious targets for clubs in top half of the championship. Yes it's a gamble, but on balance of probability, a gamble that's more likely to pay off than not.

My recollection of Crawford from 2 seasons back was that he was a less exotic version of Ryan Edwards - always scampering about and ending up where the ball had just been.  I would be very disappointed if this was a signing for  next season's Championship squad.

2 hours ago, laukat said:

I thought Crawford was for us. Always thought he was held back by McCall playing him as right winger (Although when the alternative was Cammy Smith who could blame him?)

However I think he was held back even more, as was Turner, by McCall's insistence that it was Crawford or Turner to take the third midfield berth alongside Bannigan and Docherty. I would have liked to see how Crawford, Turner and Docherty got on.

Maybe not impossible we see Crawford and Turner next season?

Heard a rumour we were in for Oakley at Morton as well. No idea how real that is but I'm sure our pals from Greenock will love the idea that we could take their 2 best players.

There was no need for that.

Just the very sight of his name provokes head-shaking. We were effectively a man down any time he took the field for us.

His role in Queens Park's fourth goal at Firhill 18 months ago summed him up.

6 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

My recollection of Crawford from 2 seasons back was that he was a less exotic version of Ryan Edwards - always scampering about and ending up where the ball had just been.  I would be very disappointed if this was a signing for  next season's Championship squad.

That could be a good shout on the style of player Crawford is. 

However, I feel Edwards got a bit of a bad rep with the way things went that season and the way he buggered off at the drop of a hat at the end if a horrible season.

I don't think Crawford is even as good as Edwards but he would be a very good signing at this level and even a decent squad player should we go up. 

We have lacked energy at times so why not get a Duracell bunny in to recharge the midfield.

Really liked Ryan Edwards, 

A buzzer of a midfielder whom Archie destroyed by playing him in a central 2 with Adam Barton in 17-18 when it clearly wasn't working for either player.

His goal celebration at New Douglas Park in the 2-1 win in March 2017 - he put his head into Doolan's cross when many wouldn't have even put their foot in - was something to behold. Especially given that Matthias Pogba, the other scorer that day, made the fastest sprint of his life to get to the corner flag to celebrate.

7 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Really liked Ryan Edwards, 

A buzzer of a midfielder whom Archie destroyed by playing him in a central 2 with Adam Barton in 17-18 when it clearly wasn't working for either player.

His goal celebration at New Douglas Park in the 2-1 win in March 2017 - he put his head into Doolan's cross when many wouldn't have even put their foot in - was something to behold. Especially given that Matthias Pogba, the other scorer that day, made the fastest sprint of his life to get to the corner flag to celebrate.

I checked his Wiki page, out of curiosity. He's now plying his trade in the third tier of Spanish football.

47 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I checked his Wiki page, out of curiosity. He's now plying his trade in the third tier of Spanish football.

Second tier.

52 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

According to the Greenock Telegraph we have expressed an interest in George Oakley.

We'll  have some bench next season haha.

8 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

He was great again last night.

I think he is a Hibs player - be interesting to see whether they want to retain him, but they have been very poor defensively this season to Montgomery may see a place for him. 

I didn't think Megwa was quite as effective last night as he was on Tuesday night, agree he does look a good player. He is a Hibs player. Started the season on loan at Airdrie went back to hibs Dec/Jan, went to Saudi Arabia i think it was during the winter break with Hibs and  played a few games in the Premier league before returning to Airdrie on loan.