Half time report

Duke Gekantawa

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

Just as I could say the guys who bought Raith didn’t have a lot cash left over after buying the club so their budget isn’t much bigger than ours……but then again it’s just punting speculation to suit a point of view.

In the absence of any actual data it’s just speculation.

There is data. We know that we had a £600K hole in our 22/23 budget. As I said it is only logical to think that resulted in significant reduction in the 23/24 playing budget. 

29 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

There is data. We know that we had a £600K hole in our 22/23 budget. As I said it is only logical to think that resulted in significant reduction in the 23/24 playing budget. 

You have provided no data on Raith … again.

31 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Why do I need data on Raith.

Because this started with your assertion they have more money than us , which you have not provided any information for but that’s fine it’s just something you think.

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Because this started with your assertion they have more money than us , which you have not provided any information for but that’s fine it’s just something you think.

I didn’t assert anything of the sort. I made the logical conclusion that given their new owners probable new investment and our reduced budget of at least £600K that it would be reasonable for them to be above us in the league.

6 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I didn’t assert anything of the sort. I made the logical conclusion that given their new owners probable new investment and our reduced budget of at least £600K that it would be reasonable for them to be above us in the league.

Both assertions are unsupported .

10 hours ago, javeajag said:

Wrong….i don’t have an agenda just possibly not willing to give the club and the manager lots of excuses for not being in the title mix as others.

I wasn’t in favour of sacking McCall last season and don’t think we should sack Doolan now either but he will soon be in the job for a year and needs to judged like every other manager..

We have not progressed from last season and performances have not been great either.

Actually we have progressed a little from last season. Last year we finished fourth with a ppg of 1.58. Right now we are (comfortably) third with a ppg of 1.68. Not earth-shattering I grant you, but a measurable, real improvement. And almost certainly achieved on a smaller budget.

5 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Actually we have progressed a little from last season. Last year we finished fourth with a ppg of 1.58. Right now we are (comfortably) third with a ppg of 1.68. Not earth-shattering I grant you, but a measurable, real improvement. And almost certainly achieved on a smaller budget.

Actually at half way stage last season we had 1.5 PPG (27points from 18 games). 

On 12/30/2023 at 7:22 PM, javeajag said:

so we are under achieving with a manager who is increasingly of concern.

Yes we know your views on Doolan. Glass half empty stuff. Look on the bright side of life; we are ahead of where we were this time last season 

• Like 2

Not really wanting to get involved in the debate of Rovers budget vs ours, however I note  that on the equivalent thread over on P&B, several contributors, including Rovers supporters comment on how well Ian Murray was backed by the new board given the players they recruited at the start of the season. I can't provide any data, however it appears to be generally accepted that their budget is at bigger end of scale.

The main point for me is that there were several extenuating circumstances at play during the close season, therefore it is way too soon to pass judgement on Kris Doolan's recruitment abilities.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, fenski said:

Not really wanting to get involved in the debate of Rovers budget vs ours, however I note  that on the equivalent thread over on P&B, several contributors, including Rovers supporters comment on how well Ian Murray was backed by the new board given the players they recruited at the start of the season. I can't provide any data, however it appears to be generally accepted that their budget is at bigger end of scale.

The main point for me is that there were several extenuating circumstances at play during the close season, therefore it is way too soon to pass judgement on Kris Doolan's recruitment abilities.

I don't think that will be the undeniable proof some posters would be willing to accept.

5 hours ago, scotty said:

I don't think that will be the undeniable proof some posters would be willing to accept.

The undeniable truth is that lots of thistle fans can give you lots of reasons / excuses/ justifications why the club is not successful, why 3rd place in the league is a great / not unreasonable  in the circumstances and that clubs have lots more money than us without providing any data or information on the subject using words like ‘ I heard …’, ‘ it’s likely ‘ or ‘ I imagine ‘, while choosing to ignore that the club currently top of the league has less money than the club second in the table …..cue let me tell you why that couldn’t be us …..

The undeniable truth is that lots of thistle fans can give you lots of reasons / excuses/ justifications why the club is not successful, why 3rd place in the league is a great / not unreasonable  in the circumstances and that clubs have lots more money than us without providing any data or information on the subject using words like ‘ I heard …’, ‘ it’s likely ‘ or ‘ I imagine ‘, while choosing to ignore that the club currently top of the league has less money than the club second in the table …..cue let me tell you why that couldn’t be us …..

So what does your verification of data show where thistle should be? Essentially your view is I'm afraid , subject to all the usual parameters. It is an opinion based on the square root of a finger in the air. You therefore are the same as all thistle fans, neither right or wrong. Accept it and move on. 

Edited by dl1971
Typo

8 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

So what does your verification of data show where thistle should be? Essentially your view is I'm afraid , subject to all the usual parameters. It is an opinion based on the square root of a finger in the air. You therefore are the same as all thistle fans, neither right or wrong. Accept it and move on. 

There is no data that I have seen which stops us winning the league or promotion, but you want to justify why we can’t/wont.

There is no data that I have seen which stops us winning the league or promotion, but you want to justify why we can’t/wont.

What is the definition of this supposed data you keep pointing at javeajag? And why does it justify us winning any league or promotion in the first week of January?

The only data that is relevant to winning the league and promotion is the league table after the 36 games are completed. Right now, we have 17 games to go before that line is reached. Perhaps any data - whatever you may define it as - can be more accurately evaluated then??

Edited by Barney Rubble

Pssst. Read my posts. I said promotion is possible via the play offs. Difficult to see us winning the league notwithstanding a mysterious algorithm. 

7 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

What is the definition of this supposed data you keep pointing at javeajag? And why does it justify us winning any league or promotion in the first week of January?

The only data that is relevant to winning the league and promotion is the league table after the 36 games are completed. Right now, we have 17 games to go before that line is reached. Perhaps any data - whatever you may define it as - can be more accurately evaluated then??

It’s the other way round eg people say raith have more money so it’s not surprising they are top ( no actual evidence supplied to support this assertion ) ……there is no reason we can’t challenge for promotion.

7 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Pssst. Read my posts. I said promotion is possible via the play offs. Difficult to see us winning the league notwithstanding a mysterious algorithm. 

Our points per game total is just slightly ahead of last season when we finished 4th and scrapped into the play offs on the last day…..not great progression.

39 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Our points per game total is just slightly ahead of last season when we finished 4th and scrapped into the play offs on the last day…..not great progression.

All I'll say on this is that 70% of teams in our division would love to be where we currently are. We look good for a play-off place, and who knows what's in store for our next round of matches against the two teams above us, in particular. Sometimes things just come together for a team, as it did in our last promotion season, for example. It just might be us again, or we might have to wait for another season, or more. That's how it is.

34 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Personally speaking I think it’s still worthwhile progression as this time last year promotion seemed a choppy prospect yet now we seem to be in ok position already for top 4 which when you factor in the difference in playing budget and squad to a year ago and players like Turner, Holt and Tiffs never being properly replaced I can’t really argue with being just behind Raith and Dundee Utd given their alleged bigger budgets.

Would like to think we are just a few players away from having another crack and hopefully better outcome at play offs come May.