Thistle v Dunfermline 23rd Feb 2024

CotterJag

A big test coming over the next 3 weeks starting Tuesday away to Ayr, then Dundee U, QP, Raith and Morton..

We’ve now conceded 40 goals in 24 league games, 1.7 per game, it just hasn’t improved all season and short of a fit OReilly possibly making a difference I think Doolan needs to look for a Steven Anderson type loan to shore things up. I see no reason why the existing personnel are suddenly going to improve.  Can’t keep asking the forwards to score 3 or more most weeks. We’ve managed just 4 clean sheets in 24 games. 

18 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Tonight's game was a strong argument for VAR. 

Conspiracy theory - 

Recent discontent by prem clubs over VAR, so much so 'top' ref has to make statement that it works and should stay.  Nothing to do with refs being worried they will be excluded from euro and international games of course. 

Answer - make some clearly dreadful decisions in games on tv they don't care about to so show VAR is needed. 

• Like 1

At the game i couldn't tell if goals were chopped of correctly, in fact from the front of the Lambie stand i couldn't see what happened with our 'second goal', but after seeing a replay of the second it was a terrible call. Our defending was terrible as it has been to many times this season so far and it has been what has stopped us putting in a real challenge to finish second or higher, but they do say goals change games and if the first 'goal' was not disallowed and Graham then goes on to put us 2-0 up, for me we go on and win the game comfortably. But we really need to sort out our defending or we could struggle to make top 4. When you consider the way Dunfermline defended in the first half in particular you see the difference, if they hadn't blocked a number of shots we had in the box we could have been out of site by half time. As has already been said i know this was his first game for us but Stewart didn't fill me with confidence he could be the answer to what is undoubtedly a problem position for Thistle.

One other decision that baffled me and had a massive bearing on the game and possibly not been mentioned. 

The equaliser comes from a corner given when our keeper catches the ball on or behind the goal line, I’m not sure exactly as even on tv it’s unclear, but either way he moves forward with the ball not backwards. If he catches behind the line it’s a goal kick, if he catches on the line it’s play on. It was never a corner, yet just like with the Livvy game it’s wrongly given and we concede.

Did anyone nearer the goal line have a clearer view & opinion?

Edited by jaggy

On 2/22/2024 at 6:36 PM, Fawlty Towers said:

Appears he got kicked in the knee by someone matching the description of Lindsay Hoyle.

On a cheerier note, David Munro is the ref 😡

Fs you called that right! Appalling performance, have any of this latest batch of refs ever played the game?

5 minutes ago, jaggy said:

One other decision that baffled me and had a massive bearing on the game and possibly not been mentioned. 

The equaliser comes from a corner given when our keeper catches the ball on or behind the goal line, I’m not sure exactly as even on tv it’s unclear, but either way he moves forward with the ball not backwards. If he catches behind the line it’s a goal kick, if he catches on the line it’s play on. It was never a corner, yet just like with the Livvy game it’s wrongly given and we concede.

Did anyone nearer the goal line have a clearer view & opinion?

At the front of the Lambie stand so impossible to say if corner was correct call. What i did see was us clearing the ball and nobody challenge the Dunfermline player who was allowed to stroll forward and have a shot unchallenged. We should have put a tackle in.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

At the front of the Lambie stand so impossible to say if corner was correct call. What i did see was us clearing the ball and nobody challenge the Dunfermline player who was allowed to stroll forward and have a shot unchallenged. We should have put a tackle in.

Exactly 

Incompetent officials and an inept thistle sums up tonight for me, we probably deserved to win tonight but were hamstrung by what most be the worst referee ever to have attempted to officiate a game. Graham's 2nd is clearly onside, the line person official agreed yet he (the ref) decides that his coupon needs a pars win so he changes his own decision for absolutely no reason, just to give offside (that no one called) is astonishing.  This guy should never referee a kids football game never never mind a professional game ever again.  How can football perpetuate this by continuing to allow these charlatans to referee games?   If you were this bad at your job you'd get sacked or sued for incompetence!

• Like 1

The key issue for us as it has been all season is our inability to defend. We have now lost an average of 1.66 goals per league game which is just very very poor. 

We play the same goalkeeper and back four ( unless forced to do so by injury) irrespective of form or results and not surprisingly nothing changes. Our midfield are too easy to play through and provide inadequate defensive cover.

i do wonder what we do in training all week as there doesn’t seem to be any learning or improvement happening. We have lost 9 goals in our last three games.

our focus now is getting into the playoffs but our form is now a concern.

doolan has some work to do.

• Like 1

For me the  one thing that stood out as much as our defensive shortcomings was the lack of fitness in the team. Dunfermline were much sharper and quicker. We seem to have no desire to get forward quickly or to track back to defend. Our main tactict is to slow games down as much as possible and hope the opposition just switch off.

Edited by scotty
  • Like 1

You'll never convince me that Var is needed. Certainly not with one blatantly wrong decision. Mistakes happen, but if they take away the ability to celebrate a goal when it is scored, I don't see the point in football.

7 hours ago, jaggy said:

If he catches behind the line it’s a goal kick, if he catches on the line it’s play on. It was never a corner, yet just like with the Livvy game it’s wrongly given and we concede.

It had already deflected off the Thistle defender.

Thistle are the league's soft underbelly. Haven't won in two months? Sitting bottom of the Premiership? No worries, come along to Firhill and you'll be sure to leave with full points. 

Refereeing aside, last night was a disgrace. Muirhead is absolutely done. Not only does he get done like a totally diddy - but he stops, puts his hand up, and calls for an offside rather than playing to the whistle. 

I'm getting concerned about Doolan's ability to change things. Yes, we are hampered by the players we have (many of whom Doolan signed). But it might be the case of changing the shape and formation. It might be that we have to stop McMillan and Milne going forward as much. 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

13 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

...It might be that we have to stop McMillan and Milne going forward as much. 

We play fullbacks that are bang average defensively (if that) trying to become extra wingers. Our defence, Neilson apart, is rank rotten. The solution is to replace them all, because all successful teams in football are founded on a secure defence. (The journos are wrong.) Did someone mention a second tranche?

A remarkably unsuccessful team like that of Dunfermline Athletic can win convincingly by playing a pressing game (unsettling defenders) and punting high balls into our box. We have no adequate response to these.

The training also seems to be making these players regress: many are increasingly favouring their preferred foot, while throw-ins, though they are the most frequent set piece, are left more or less to the whim of whoever is the full-back on that side and whoever else happens to be around. It's embarrassing to see throwers wondering who is going to help. (Contrast this with the corner kicks: regardless of outcome, they have obviously been practised on the training ground.)

Whilst I am as scunnered as everyone else after last night - we did not play well in the second half which we can't blame the officials for we will still be 3rd after today's game with 12 games remaining. I would still rather be in our position than Morton's, Airdrie's or Ayr's.

37 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Thistle are the league's soft underbelly. Haven't won in two months? Sitting bottom of the Premiership? No worries, come along to Firhill and you'll be sure to leave with full points. 

Refereeing aside, last night was a disgrace. Muirhead is absolutely done. Not only does he get done like a totally diddy - but he stops, puts his hand up, and calls for an offside rather than playing to the whistle. 

I'm getting concerned about Doolan's ability to change things. Yes, we are hampered by the players we have (many of whom Doolan signed). But it might be the case of changing the shape and formation. It might be that we have to stop McMillan and Milne going forward as much. 

We’ve only won once since 2nd Jan ourselves. But I don’t really see Doolan learning much. Maybe he had no choice to play Stewart in goal last night but putting McInroy out right instead of bringing on McKenzie, I think was the wrong substitution. Even later on I think he would have been a better choice than Adeloye or Diack.

10 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

You don’t concede three goals at home that soft and win football matches.

Can’t blame tonight’s defeat on the (admittedly poor) officiating. A dreadful keeper and two inexcusable failures from the centre backs cost us.

Well you can, in that if we are leading we aren't playing such a highline we don't lose their second goal as the dynamic of the game changes.

Your first paragraph is spot on. 3 goals lost in the last 3 games 😬

8 minutes ago, jagfox said:

We only have Doolan, Paul McDonald, a fitness guy and KA as coaches in the backroom team. Seems a bit light compared to other clubs?

I've not playerd football above a free-for-all level at school so am no expert on behind the scenes but do teams train as defensive units or are the goalkeepers and back line treated as seperate?

1 hour ago, allyo said:

It had already deflected off the Thistle defender.

Ah! I never noticed that at the time. Thanks for correcting me. None of our group realised that from where we sat. 

I’m still not convinced it crossed the line but then again the same assistant gave Graham offside

Edited by jaggy

12 minutes ago, scotty said:

I've not playerd football above a free-for-all level at school so am no expert on behind the scenes but do teams train as defensive units or are the goalkeepers and back line treated as seperate?

When I've wandered by it seems to be the whole group doing routines. Sometimes the younger lads will stay behind for extra drills.