Ayr v Thistle Tue 27th Feb

elevenone

17 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Apparently Mitchell’s injury was misdiagnosed by physio team, nowhere near as bad as first feared, but by the time we realised, Stewart had been signed. 🤯

Then surely Mitchell should have been playing last few games- better than Sneddon and Stewart 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

He got through October and November last year losing 6 on the bounce. 

But yes we’re crap currently 

McCall at least had the excuse of a number of injuries to key players for most of that time …..Doolan just keeps doing the same things with the same players which is a classic sign of not learning.

4 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Last October into November 
18 goals in 5 games
4 at Aberdeen 
4 against Queens Park
4 at Ayr
3 at Raith
3 at Dundee

Then 2 at Morton 

It still doesn’t make last 4 games any better conceding 13 goals

Might be worth considering that it's mostly the same defence

Since the turn of the year we’ve managed 9 points out of a possible 21.

Raith have 10 out of 21 & Dungdee Utd. 13 out of a possible 24.

If our defence was even half decent we could have been right on their tails. As it is we’re now looking down the table. There has to be changes on Saturday or we’ll be torn apart - again. Can’t understand what the problem is with Mitchell. He’s far from perfect but from what I’ve seen he’s twice the keeper Stewart is. We need to change shape as well and try 3 at the back. Or 3 keepers! 

Doolan was always likely to suffer a poor run of form at sometime. Now it’s here, it will be a proper test for him as a manager Can he deal with low morale and can he actually address the main defensive issues, at least partially?

We are top league scorers and continue to keep scoring, which remains (bear with me) a positive. It does mean that we continue to get something right. We also remain third which exceeds my personal expectations at the season’s beginning.

However it is now glaringly obvious that we need to try something different in defence- a new formation and/or different personnel. What he does for the next  few games and how the team reacts might make or break him.

19 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Last October into November 
18 goals in 5 games
4 at Aberdeen 
4 against Queens Park
4 at Ayr
3 at Raith
3 at Dundee

Then 2 at Morton 

It still doesn’t make last 4 games any better conceding 13 goals

No idea why your comparing Doolan to McCall - even if we lose the next 4 Games and slip out of the Play Off Spot -he is not getting sacked - zero chance of that happening 

Young Manager - Legend - rebuilding - transition - Budget was 27th in the Championship ( so Dools actually did well ) Newly Signed Fan Agreement - Women's Team are in a Final - Jags for Good played Manchester Supporters Club - another £500K of investment agreed blah blah blah 

What on earth is going on?

The Ayr side we faced tonight are by some distance not their strongest starting eleven. We have arguably our strongest outfield 11. 13 goals conceded in the last 4 games is just crazy. McCall had a bad run in October/November last season but at least he had a partial excuse of losing key players for most of that. Doolan has pretty much everyone fit.

Starting the same 11 that were awful against Dunfermline is either sheer stubbornness, weak management or incompetence. Personally I think the managers weak and doesn't have the killer instinct to drop players if they don't meet the standard. Probably thought more about Stewart's confidence than he did about needing 3 points. Unless Mitchell's injury was that he lost both hands why on earth is he not starting? He's not perfect but he's the best we currently have

Imrie at Morton has shown what instilling a win at all costs mentality can do. With the exception of Graham we have a a management team and group of players who are only interested in playing pretty football. 

Just because its Dundee United on Saturday isn't a ready made excuse for accepting defeat. Airdrie beat them tonight whilst we haven't laid a glove on them.

Time is running out for Doolan. If there are no wins in the next 4 then I think its time to say enough and give Graham a go at it until the end of the season.

29 minutes ago, allyo said:

Might be worth considering that it's mostly the same defence

And there lies the problem.

Holt was our best defender by a country mile last season, and Neilson is this season, but Holts a better defender than Neilsen, add to that Milne isn’t the same player since his injury and Muirhead is another year older and slower.

Then we have the keeper situation, not one of the 3 I’d say are first choice material, would anyone play them in front of a Cerny, a Tuffy, an Arthur or a Murdoch? 

1 minute ago, Norgethistle said:

Holt was our best defender by a country mile last season, and Neilson is this season, but Holts a better defender than Neilsen, add to that Milne isn’t the same player since his injury and Muirhead is another year older and slower.

Then we have the keeper situation, not one of the 3 I’d say are first choice material, would anyone play them in front of a Cerny, a Tuffy, an Arthur or a Murdoch? 

The problem is 

1 recruitment … poor…. There is no cover for the back four that Doolan wants to start with 

2 organisation … poor …. The relationship between defence and midfield is non existent and provides no defensive protection

3 tactics … poor… why change a losing formation … our squad is actually better suited to a back 5

4 flexibility … poor…. We don’t react to what the opposition are doing and become too rigid week in week out

5 goalkeepers … poor… just poor 

Our defensive performance was a weakness under McCall and after a year in charge Doolan has not improved it at all which is a real concern.

20 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I get that none of our current 3 are of the standard of Cerny or other past favourites. I can also a reasonable debate on who's better between Sneddon and Mitchell but are we seriously suggesting that Stewart is a better choice than Mitchell?

Why is the manager not playing him? If he's still not fit tell us otherwise the only things we can deduce is that manager believes Stewart to be a better goalkeeper or that he has a disagreement with Mitchell. If its the latter he needs to put it to one side and do the right thing for the team if its the former its currently looking like very poor judgement 

I don't think its a bad thing all 3 are out of contract in the summer. Time to move on from all of them as a club we don't need 4 goalkeepers on our books.

7 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Neilson is an excellent footballer pinging the ball at times, pace out of defence with the ball etc BUT I emphasise footballer as he is the worst defender I have ever seen. His positional sense and defending crosses and corners is beyond belief at times he doesn't even jump. I feel so sorry for Muirhead cause defensively Neilson makes him look awful. McInroy in my opinion is an excellent player and collectively with the midfield forwards and full backs we always score plenty of goals. I remember we signed that ancient defender from St Johnstone number of years back, cant remember his name, he was great no nonsense defender did his job nothing else and I'd take him over Neilson any day. It however would be a masterstroke to see Neilson in midfield due to his pace and passing accuracy. I'm applying for manager.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dannygaruk said:

I remember we signed that ancient defender from St Johnstone number of years back, cant remember his name, he was great no nonsense defender did his job nothing else and I'd take him over Neilson any day. 

Steven Anderson.  Agree re Neilson - great with the ball, not so great without the ball.

Just back from Ayr...we have no other options for the back 4.. no matter how many goals we loose, that tonight was worse than school boy stuff, sorry to all primary 7s.. As much as I like Lawless I just wish he would put the ball into the box sooner than he does....

59 minutes ago, laukat said:

What on earth is going on?

The Ayr side we faced tonight are by some distance not their strongest starting eleven. We have arguably our strongest outfield 11. 13 goals conceded in the last 4 games is just crazy. McCall had a bad run in October/November last season but at least he had a partial excuse of losing key players for most of that. Doolan has pretty much everyone fit.

Starting the same 11 that were awful against Dunfermline is either sheer stubbornness, weak management or incompetence. Personally I think the managers weak and doesn't have the killer instinct to drop players if they don't meet the standard. Probably thought more about Stewart's confidence than he did about needing 3 points. Unless Mitchell's injury was that he lost both hands why on earth is he not starting? He's not perfect but he's the best we currently have

Imrie at Morton has shown what instilling a win at all costs mentality can do. With the exception of Graham we have a a management team and group of players who are only interested in playing pretty football. 

Just because its Dundee United on Saturday isn't a ready made excuse for accepting defeat. Airdrie beat them tonight whilst we haven't laid a glove on them.

Time is running out for Doolan. If there are no wins in the next 4 then I think its time to say enough and give Graham a go at it until the end of the season.

Why because Graham is doing well with the Women's Team ? 

Just because the Club PR talks up the Women's Team as being “ equal” its not comparable on any level with demands for the actual PTFC Football Team 

So we bumped McCall replaced him with a Legend with no experience then replace Doolan with a “Newish Legend” with No Experience - thats not a plan on any level 

However the scary thing is the Board will do exactly that 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Why because Graham is doing well with the Women's Team ? 

Just because the Club PR talks up the Women's Team as being “ equal” its not comparable on any level with demands for the actual PTFC Football Team 

So we bumped McCall replaced him with a Legend with no experience then replace Doolan with a “Newish Legend” with No Experience - thats not a plan on any level 

However the scary thing is the Board will do exactly that 

McCalls Recruitment was very good out with some terrible loans, we are now back to terrible recruitment and terrible defending / game management. We are worse off now ! 
Ships going down we won’t make the play offs this year. I was done on Friday when everyone blamed them the Ref.. wasn’t the refs fault. 

Anyone with ******* sense can see that Bannigan is finished ! Fitz and Lawless need a break .. and the subs Doolan makes are erratic and completely mis shapes the team. 

just plain stupidity at this point !

When he came in Doolan brought a freshness to the team, shaking off the stagnation under McCall and having us play some very exciting football.

However in my opinion, this season, recruitment has been dreadful and we have become very predictable in our style, with reliance primarily on Fitzpatrick, Graham, and Lawless.

Despite a crowded midfield, none are up to par for a team aiming to compete at the top of the league.

Our central defense is shocking. I'm no fan of Muirhead but he was signed as our fourth choice centre back last year.

January's transfer window was an opportunity to address squad deficiencies, but instead, we've worsened. O'Reilly, our "big" signing, has hardly had a shot and now is injured, while the other two aren't at sufficient quality. McBeth might get there but the step from juniors to this level is massive (look how long it took Doolan and Erskine to get up to speed and they were playing in less physically demanding positions) 

Looking ahead, next season looks like a potentially very weak division but Im afraid I don't trust Doolan to build a team to take the chance.

If changes are made I wouldn't want Graham. While I appreciate the women's team's efforts and am really looking forward to attending their final, it's incomparable to the men's tram. 

Comparatively, managers like Rhys McCabe and Dougie Imrie have excelled in building teams with clear identities on limited budgets at this level. 

All the usual posters reappearing I see. "Thistle are rubbish, the manager's rubbish, the board are rubbish and the team is rubbish and all we need to do is go back to the old ways when life was so much better."

The thing is we are where we are. We have no money to sack the manager and bring in someone else. Doolan got the job because he was already on the payroll and was all we could afford. Our signings were done late because we were in the playoffs and couldn't afford to gamble on getting promoted. The board is in a period of transition due to changes enforced by people playing petty power games with our club. We are a fan owned club due to the fact that no-one wanted to invest in the 3rd/4th financially attractive club in Glasgow and the shareholders at the time were desperate to divest themselves of their responsibilty for a football club.

For me this season's goal should realistically be staying in this division. Being third, at this stage, is shooting above our level as we need this season to build for promotion next season or the one following.

To do that the defence needs sorted out but we're not going to do that by dropping everyone and anyone as we have no-one to replace them.

So by all means come on and moan about losing games and offer opinions about the solutions (that's what fans do)  but we are in danger of just rehashing  old conflicts over whose pals are best to run PTFC.

Edited by scotty
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1