Morton at home

55 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

I'm going against the grain here - but that was a poor performance by a team that could and should be doing much better against such poor opposition. Winning by 1 goal in three isn't nearly good enough, and only by dint of a good save did we not come away with another draw after going 2 up.

<rant> This passing along the back line is wasting time that should be spent getting the ball up the park to where it threatens the opposition, among our most effective players, the goal scorers. Instead, our heroes seem to suffer from the delusion that they're displaying the talents of Real Madrid to the yokels and wearing them down: sorry, boys, but you aren't at that level - not even in work rate, and it shows in the huge number of goals you concede. Yet another clean sheet thrown away today.

As for throw-ins, we shouldn't complain about the opposition being smarter, but learn from them: why don't we use long throw-ins? Is none of these players capable of throwing a ball into the box or, for that matter, to one of our own players? By all appearances, that is the case. There certainly doesn't seem to be any work on throw-ins during training, let alone thought given to the most common set piece in the game. :wall:

Fitzgerald is obviously crocked but is still being played although he's slower than usual and in discomfort, if not pain. Why isn't he being given time to recover?

We and everyone else in the division knows that this team is suspect when high balls come into the box, but instead of ensuring there's an out ball (!) and breaking quickly to relieve the pressure, which they showed today they're capable of, they cling on to the ball in defence, allowing the opposition to get organised for the oh-so-predictable attack down one wing, followed by the cross in. As for free kicks into the box and corners.... Why bother? No imagination; no speed; only Robinson and Graham seem prepared to pounce on opportunities as they occur. (Since the game against ICT, Robinson has provided much-needed tenacity in the centre.)

As for bringing has-been Bannigan on... Well, he conceded a needless free kick and the team conceded a goal after that subsitution: enough said.

Our defence is still honking, despite finally arriving at a centre-back pairing that seems effective. Why? Because both full-backs think they're really wingers born in the wrong bodies (or something like that).  After all this time, Milne still can't trap for toffee, and McMillan regularly gets stranded upfield while the opposition breaks - leaving Lawless to fill in at right-back. Both full-backs also need to be made aware that they should - must - be able to play with either foot, or be caught out time and time again.

</rant>

I remember I used to go to clubs and moan about the music until a friend asked why I went if I didn't enjoy it. It was a fair point - I stopped going to clubs.

The point being if you get so little enjoyment from watching Thistle, that your primary reaction from our first win in two months or so is as above, you perhaps need to find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Unless of course you enjoy being angry, in which case fill your boots.

• Like 3

I thought we were good today. When you're on a run without a win nothing comes easily. You have to drag yourself out of it. We dominated throughout but we didn't win comfortably because we're a bit vulnerable.  But we did well and got over the line. Very happy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Utter nonsense.

His shooting may have been below par, however his work rate and closing down of their defenders was exemplary.

Couldn’t agree more. He was poor against Raith but like the rest of his teammates his attitude and work rate was vastly improved today. 

We noticeably dropped deeper and stopped pressing high when he went off. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Thought McInroy, Robinson, MC Beth, were outstanding today, for someone who was playing Junior football 2/ 3 months ago MC Beth has been a real find,  one of Doolans best.. How many others are out there...???????

I think you just mentioned McInroy and Robinson in your own post 🤷‍♂️

What a signing Macbeth has been! 

I would have given the MOM to Graham with Robinson and Macbeth close to it. 

We would be nowhere this year without Graham, what a season he is having! 

Fitz still not doing nearly enough over 90 mins, hopefully he finds his form in last few games like last year. 

Good game to get back to winning ways and hopefully we can kick on. 

6 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Great result. Played well for about 70 mins and gave away a needless goal. All about the win today. Robinson and McBeth standouts I thought. 

That's my view on the game as well. On the others:

Mitchell had a couple of good saves, and looked comfortable throughout.

Thought Milne was careless at times. The McMillan and Lawless partnership worked mostly well, for the first time in a while. Fitzpatrick made some good runs, one terrific one in the 2nd half; his final ball too often lets the move down.

Muirhead: had a good game.

Neilsen: I'd rather see him where he played yesterday than as a central defender.

BBG: worked hard throughout, unlucky his first burst through the defence and shot at goal wasn't placed slightly better. 

McInroy worked hard too, with some effective harrying of the opposition, not giving them time on the ball. A better performance than of late.

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 2

Mitchell was fine today - badly let down by his defence for the goal.

McBeth looked a natural at CB. Read the game well, and his tackling was clean. Robbie Muirhead is a handful, and, goal apart, McBeth kept him quiet throughout.

What was noticeable to me was that it appeared that McBeth was the dominant CB calling the shots with Aero falling into line.

Midfield was OK. Neilson has something in that position,  but has to think and act more quickly to be truly dominant in that area of the field.

Scott Robinson - love this guy. His work rate is phenomenal. He is the best foil for Brian Graham that doesn't disrupt the formation, and his leap for a guy of average height is truly impressive. Well merited MoM today.

Going forward, perhaps McBeth could cement the dominant CB role??

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Mitchell was fine today - badly let down by his defence for the goal.

McBeth looked a natural at CB. Read the game well, and his tackling was clean. Robbie Muirhead is a handful, and, goal apart, McBeth kept him quiet throughout.

What was noticeable to me was that it appeared that McBeth was the dominant CB calling the shots with Aero falling into line.

Midfield was OK. Neilson has something in that position,  but has to think and act more quickly to be truly dominant in that area of the field.

Scott Robinson - love this guy. His work rate is phenomenal. He is the best foil for Brian Graham that doesn't disrupt the formation, and his leap for a guy of average height is truly impressive. Well merited MoM today.

Going forward, perhaps McBeth could cement the dominant CB role??

100 % agree about Robinson.  The amount of headers he won against a big Morton defence and midfield was amazing. I also noticed how much big Luke was bossing the defence too. BBG as captain and mcbeth as vice captain was what it looked like.

12 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Thought McInroy, Robinson, MC Beth, were outstanding today, for someone who was playing Junior football 2/ 3 months ago MC Beth has been a real find,  one of Doolans best.. How many others are out there...???????

Was saying exactly this to my pal at the game today. Maybe we should be looking at the Juniors rather than loanees from the OF? You can see how much it means for McBeth to be part of the club and I would love to see more players with that kind of desire than pampered OF cast offs.

• Like 1

The defence looked much more solid and it was disappointing we lost the goal at the end. We should’ve had 3 or 4 by that point though and they wouldn’t have scored if Zander hadn’t had a brain freeze a few moments beforehand. The win was the most important thing, though.

18 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Was saying exactly this to my pal at the game today. Maybe we should be looking at the Juniors rather than loanees from the OF? You can see how much it means for McBeth to be part of the club and I would love to see more players with that kind of desire than pampered OF cast offs.

Did you know it was actually former player Gary Fraser who recommended him to us

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westertonjagfan said:

In no way do I disagree. I would tho' like to know how potentially effective our current scouting system is likely to be. Dools has mentioned it on at least a couple of occasions. Ideally I'd like to see a squad comprising of more ex academy players and others sourced out of leftfield such as the Juniors and lower leagues down south. Players brought in on loan with an option to sign, as opposed to the usual wannabees at the OF.    

11 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

I did notice Aero getting absolutely livid at McBeth for something near the end of the game (but before Morton scored). They spent a minute having a proper go at each other. Maybe Aero didn’t enjoy being schooled by the rookie?

He did look good in defence though 

A very important and imo a well deserved 3 points yesterday. Some teams who only a few weeks ago looked as if they would be playing to stay away from the relegation play off position have now put themselves in contention for 4 th. Praise for whoever thought of putting the advertising boards a bit closer to disrupt Morton's long throw tactic, which we dealt with very well.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

A very important and imo a well deserved 3 points yesterday. Some teams who only a few weeks ago looked as if they would be playing to stay away from the relegation play off position have now put themselves in contention for 4 th. Praise for whoever thought of putting the advertising boards a bit closer to disrupt Morton's long throw tactic, which we dealt with very well.

If we play them again, get the boards weighed down & immovable! 

17 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

If we play them again, get the boards weighed down & immovable! 

we could also get the ball boys/girls to chuck em back a medicine ball instead and see how they like ‘em apples 😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t get it. They aren’t the only team that have someone with a long throw. 

when he wasn’t showboating by sitting on the ball, I used to love Don McVicars long throws.  Can be a viable tactic at times.