Conrad Balatoni wearing number 8

An old one but it's always puzzled me.

When we beat Dunfermline 5-1 in our championship-winning season (possibly my favourite ever Jags game) the line-up was a confusing one, as Conrad Balatoni was listed as number 8. (This was before we had squad numbers and always played a starting 1-11.)

Does anyone know why? Seeing it, I presumed he'd transformed overnight into an attacking midfielder. Unless I've misremembered, I think he actually played where he belonged in central defence. Was it mind games by McNamara? Just a random thing?

15 hours ago, MarciaBlaine said:

An old one but it's always puzzled me.

When we beat Dunfermline 5-1 in our championship-winning season (possibly my favourite ever Jags game) the line-up was a confusing one, as Conrad Balatoni was listed as number 8. (This was before we had squad numbers and always played a starting 1-11.)

Does anyone know why? Seeing it, I presumed he'd transformed overnight into an attacking midfielder. Unless I've misremembered, I think he actually played where he belonged in central defence. Was it mind games by McNamara? Just a random thing?

Yon 5-1 game was an absolute joy! One of the rare occasions when a big bunch of us from the family (siblings, in-laws, nephews, nieces) were all there, loving it. It will stay in the memory.

Edited by Jaggernaut

I don’t think I have ever seen a better goal at Firhill than the one from SOD. If Messi had scored it, it would have been on permanent repeats.

Actually, Messi wouldn’t have made the tackle that started the move.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I don’t think I have ever seen a better goal at Firhill than the one from SOD. If Messi had scored it, it would have been on permanent repeats.

It depends what you want in a best goal assessment. Agreed that SOD's goal was an excellent team move with a deft finish. If you want a one-off great shot then Jack Storer v Morton and Chris Erskine v Airdrie (the 1-0 victory early in 2013), or indeed Ross Forbes as already mentioned, would be candidates. For individual brilliance Chris Erskine again with the run ending with the lob v Falkirk has to be up there. No doubt there could be other suggestions.

• Like 1

The importance of the game surely comes into play when deciding on how good a goal is. So, Erskines at Falkirk would definitely be up there as it clinched the league and got the conga started. I think McBeths goal betters Storer’s anyway. And we scored a few crackers during the playoffs last season - Tiffoney’s at QP was pretty special.

17 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Almost every denis mcquade goal was the climax to an adventure of some sort or another. But Dan mclindon's stunner against Dundee United in 1966 remains fixed in the memory...

1 hour ago, robphil said:

Almost every denis mcquade goal was the climax to an adventure of some sort or another. But Dan mclindon's stunner against Dundee United in 1966 remains fixed in the memory...

Agreed. Still my all time favourite goal! 

The Forbes goal from that game is the one that stands out for me. If I recall correctly, we'd just had to sub the keeper and at 3-1 there was a chance we'd wobble. Got an utterly perfect view of it arcing into the top corner from the Lambie.

But Fitzy's late winner against DU is probably the Firhill goal that's produced the most pandemonium. I've still got a scar on my leg from the scenes!

46 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

For pandemonium and drama, none can possibly beat Billy Gibson at Peterhead. What a moment.

I think it was Firhill goals being mentioned.

For away goals I'd raise you Geordie Shaw's winner at Parkhead. 

Absolute bedlam with 4000 Jags falling all over the place.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

For pandemonium and drama, none can possibly beat Billy Gibson at Peterhead. What a moment.

Though nowhere near as important, and ultimately in vain, special mention has to be given to Doolan's equalizer in the diidy cup final against QotS for pandemonium

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2024 at 9:58 AM, SteppsJag said:

Agreed. Still my all time favourite goal! 

I was there.

I recall attacking the Northy end he got the ball on the half way line out by what is now the Jackie Husband stand. He set off on a run, swerving right and left beating one united player after another and then belting the ball into the goal from I think just outside the 6 yard box. Not sure about this last bit as it could have been about 12 yards from goal.

I read one report years ago saying that Dan walked the ball into the goal but I don't recall that.

What a goal and what a player.

• Like 1

My own favourite goal was scored in 1963 at Firhill in a top of the table clash Kilmarnock which resulted in a 3-2 ?win forvthe Jags.

Attacking the Northy end McParland received the ball out on the left-wing (I think from one of our defenders), carried it forward a few paces and passed inside to Neil Duffy. He also carried the ball forward before again passing inside to Billy Hainey. He did likewise then passed to Gordon Whitelaw who in turn passed outside to Ian Cowan who by this time was at the right hand  corner of the penalty area on thev18byard line. Cowan took a few steps forward and blasted the ball high into the net for what I think was the winning goal.

So the ball was move at speed in a diagonal left to right direction with Cowan applying the perfect finish. A goal right from the training ground.

When the ball hit net it brought the house down.

Sadly the newspapers, the main source of news in the early 1960s,  hardly  made anything of this great goal.

Had the goal been scored by the Rangers forward line of Henderson. McMillan, Miller, Brand and Wilson I am sure the whole football world would have heard about it. 

By no means the best goal, but I think my wildest celebration was when Tom Snith scored a late equaliser at Celtic park in the mid 90s.

A combination of the stage of the season, our league position,  the opposition and venue, my age, the time of the goal and the fact that it followed immediately on the back of one that had been harshly disallowed.

it was perfect.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, allyo said:

By no means the best goal, but I think my wildest celebration was when Tom Snith scored a late equaliser at Celtic park in the mid 90s.

A combination of the stage of the season, our league position,  the opposition and venue, my age, the time of the goal and the fact that it followed immediately on the back of one that had been harshly disallowed.

it was perfect.

I was there, right down at the corner flag, about 10 feet from Chico.  The 2nd one was a carbon copy of the 1st. Both left foot (well of course) inswingers to the back post, Tom nodding in unmarked.

• Like 1