Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

TalkLatics @talklatics · May 21

My understanding that the players will be Aaron Taylor Sinclair and a loan extension for Nick Powell. Could even be Matt Smith (Leeds)

eyHjeQzJ_normal.jpegTalkLatics @talklatics · May 21

Uwe also says he hopes to have Two deals for incoming players tied up in the next Week or so

Hibs- LOL no. Thomson is still decent but would be on a high wage and is injury prone. Wouldn't take Cairney back.

I'd definitely take Cairney back. One of the few players in that team that has an end product.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/motherwell/276094-stats-zone-who-were-the-top-strikers-in-the-scottish-premiership-in-1314/?

anyone think it may be worthwhile trying to get liam henderson on loan from celtic? with a new manager coming in I don't know if he will play the youngsters right away and a seasons loan at the Jags might do him good.

They'll win the league at a canter (though perhaps not as much of a canter as this season past as it seems their budget is being slashed), so I suspect he'll get plenty of game time.

I'd definitely take Cairney back. One of the few players in that team that has an end product.

http://sport.stv.tv/...rship-in-1314/?

With every respect to Paul Cairney, who was a good player when he was with us, we've moved on as a team since then, and I don't see where he would come into the starting XI nowadays. We're adequately covered in central midfield, as evidenced by how little time George Moncur, who is an excellent prospect, got in the first team while on loan to us.

With every respect to Paul Cairney, who was a good player when he was with us, we've moved on as a team since then, and I don't see where he would come into the starting XI nowadays. We're adequately covered in central midfield, as evidenced by how little time George Moncur, who is an excellent prospect, got in the first team while on loan to us.

Cairney would fit perfectly into the central player of the three behind the striker. With Higgy on the left and a new signing on the right.

Cairney would fit perfectly into the central player of the three behind the striker. With Higgy on the left and a new signing on the right.

From what I've seen of Cairney at Hibs he seems to play wide. Apart from the Jags v Hibs games (two I think he played in) I've only seen edited highlights. He was ineffectual against us but whenever you see Hibs highlights of Cairney he's usually out wide. I think what I mean by that he may be selected in central midfield but he looks more useful playing the Higgy role.

I'd have thought if we were to sign him he'd mostly play deeper right of Doolan with Higgy on left. I think we need more steel in the central role and probably someone more defensive as well.

I think it's clear he has been playing out of position with Hibs and is a reason for his under performances sometimes. He can't defend very well which is needed for the wide players.

When he was with us he played centrally and was excellent but when played out wide is far less influential. He's not a winger.

If you look at the top ten players providing assists for goals over the past season, Cairney is sitting at number 6 (if my memory is correct) which is remarkable given the little game time he's had. Hibs would be crazy to let him go, but if they do, I would be delighted if he came back to Thistle.

If you look at the top ten players providing assists for goals over the past season, Cairney is sitting at number 6 (if my memory is correct) which is remarkable given the little game time he's had. Hibs would be crazy to let him go, but if they do, I would be delighted if he came back to Thistle.

He's actually fourth in the league for assists when game time is taken into account if you see the link I posted earlier in the thread.

FWIW I think he's best through the middle and would complement our current squad. A forward midfield three of Higgy, Cairney and Erskine would be great. With two of Fraser, Bannigan, Osbourne or Welsh behind them (should any of the latter two be fit) then I think our midfield would be pretty decent. We then need to strengthen at the back considerably.

He's actually fourth in the league for assists when game time is taken into account if you see the link I posted earlier in the thread.

FWIW I think he's best through the middle and would complement our current squad. A forward midfield three of Higgy, Cairney and Erskine would be great. With two of Fraser, Bannigan, Osbourne or Welsh behind them (should any of the latter two be fit) then I think our midfield would be pretty decent. We then need to strengthen at the back considerably.

With every respect, we need to START by strengthening at the back considerably.

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks Ryan McGivern would be a good replacement for ATS should be watching this game. Kicks it the way he's facing! The very definition of hoofball.

As for Ziggy Gordon, looks a tidy wee player but most definitely not a left back

With every respect, we need to START by strengthening at the back considerably.

Well of course that is the priority, but we aren't going to wait until the defence is sorted before thinking about anywhere else in the team. I'm sure both can be done concurrently.

Well of course that is the priority, but we aren't going to wait until the defence is sorted before thinking about anywhere else in the team. I'm sure both can be done concurrently.

agree mate I'm sure Archie will be looking at defenders but we do need midfielders strikers as well for back up. Hopefully an offer in for Lyle. Cairney and erskine coming back home and an extension to higgys contract would be great news for midfield and striker options.

Never a good idea playing a right footer in the left back position.

It's common enough and usually no problem from a defensive point of view unless he's as hopelessly one footed as Paul Paton . Where I'd agree is when going forward particularly the wingback type of player. It's normal these days to have right footed attackers out left (like Higgy) and having a rightsided guy playing wingback would unbalance things somewhat. We may thru necessity have to settle for right sided left back but it'll be far from ideal.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett