Ryan Stevenson - Signs

ifu03340

Happy with this. How times have changed if it's true he knocked back Sevco for us. I love that. Instant hero in my eyes.

It could simply be that he is a well informed kind of guy and realises he will be able to see his contract out with us and get all the wages/bonuses he is due - and we will still be around if he wants to take up that third year option. :evil:

The good thing is the way we play had an influence in him coming here, hopefully that will attract some good players. He also said he didn't want to be involved in a relegation battle and that's why he came here aswell, hopefully Archie has assured him of the type of player we're after and he thinks we'll do well this year.

Ryan Stevenson brings with him a wealth of experience and the mutual respect of his peers. I think its a great signing for the club and shows our intentions of not just making up the numbers. Archie has demonstrated that he can be active and successful in the transfer market. This signing also brings with it a feel good factor for the fans and the players. Hopefully Archie has his eyes on some more players to bring in. I don't think king lyle will be back as much as I would love him to return, so another striker would be positive, and of course a left back to replace ATS, a centre back would be helpful possibly to get us through the season like mr mair last season. Archie knows what he is looking for at the back and i believe he will get who he wants. other than that still fantastic to be a jags fan.

Having Stevenson makes our attacking squad stronger than at the start of last season. If we can get another good forward in (perhaps one who can also play wide) we will be much stronger in that department even if we don't get Taylor.

With ATS missing our defence is weaker than start of last season so we need to really strengthen here. Two positions are obvious. I'd like to think we can afford a third. If money is a concern maybe we could sign someone who can play centre back, left back (for cover) and maybe even defensive midfield (Muirhead can do this on the right hand side). Though I'd only sign someone like that if he could genuinely play at least two of the positions well.

I've been wondering if McMillan could play in defensive midfield. I know he's played there before at a lower level. Iirc he also played there last game of the 12/13 season at Dumbarton. That was during a mini hurricane and in front of three centrebacks so nothing really to judge him on. Even when playing right back last season Jordan was often involved in a more central area.

SOD should've fully recovered by pre season and I feel neither McMillan or a fully fit O'Donnell should necessarily be kept out the starting eleven simply because they cover the same position. Welsh is the club captain and imo Jordan would make a good captain as well. No disrespect to either Doolan or Gallacher but I believe the best position for a captain to play is centre mid. Welsh or McMillan could take care of that.

As it is Archie may have to use the lion's share of what remains of his budget bringing in a quality left back plus I think both experience at centreback and someone at the level of Taylor, if not Lyle himself. He possibly would have to set his sights lower if he needs to sign a holding midfielder as well. A lot depends of course on the fitness of Sean Welsh and of course how effective Jordan would be in that role. Could be worth a try.

SOD should've fully recovered by pre season and I feel neither McMillan or a fully fit O'Donnell should necessarily be kept out the starting eleven simply because they cover the same position. Welsh is the club captain and imo Jordan would make a good captain as well. No disrespect to either Doolan or Gallacher but I believe the best position for a captain to play is centre mid. Welsh or McMillan could take care of that.

Or we could play McMillan at RB and SOD further forward - SOD on the right, Higgy on the left and Stevenson through the middle behind Doolan / Taylor.

Or we could play McMillan at RB and SOD further forward - SOD on the right, Higgy on the left and Stevenson through the middle behind Doolan / Taylor.

Absolutely we should give this a go at some stage next season, SOD has played further forward in the past (the 5-1 against Dunfermline he was definitely further up, with Muirhead at right back if i recall correctly), and was good at it. I would say his delivery is good, albeit erratic at times, and its a position he could become very effective in. McMillan is also a better right back IMO. We should try it out against some absolute dross in the cup or against Dundee or something.

Absolutely we should give this a go at some stage next season, SOD has played further forward in the past (the 5-1 against Dunfermline he was definitely further up, with Muirhead at right back if i recall correctly), and was good at it. I would say his delivery is good, albeit erratic at times, and its a position he could become very effective in. McMillan is also a better right back IMO. We should try it out against some absolute dross in the cup or against Dundee or something.

He played further up the park against Hamilton away and was shite, then got moved over to the left.

Not sure why so many people saying Stevenson through the middle? He is without doubt going to be best in the right wing role. Strong defensively, covers ground, can bomb forward, cut insid with shots. Everything for that position. The centre attacking position needs someone more akin to Craigen who can thread the ball through to others. All be it a better/ more rounded version would be Prefered to Craigen probably. Great signing though.

Not sure why so many people saying Stevenson through the middle? He is without doubt going to be best in the right wing role. Strong defensively, covers ground, can bomb forward, cut insid with shots. Everything for that position. The centre attacking position needs someone more akin to Craigen who can thread the ball through to others. All be it a better/ more rounded version would be Prefered to Craigen probably. Great signing though.

I seem to remember him as a right winger but that may be a long time ago. He's rated these days as an "attacking midfielder" who can fill in as a centre forward if required (and winger too I suppose). I assumed he was going to be the better version of Craigen with Lawless maybe on the right wing cutting in. Or maybe we'll be going for another winger. Who knows. With the system we play we often have players interchanging positions during a game, so I think someone who can play in several attacking positions is ideal for us.