2015/16 Season Transfer Thread

Kallum Higginbotham's about to sign for Kilmarnock, apparently...got to admit, this one hurts.

After the NDP game, he was quoted in the Herald:

Higginbotham said: "I have never approved of plastic pitches and never will. It is just not for me. It is hard to get any sort of game going on that surface. I did my knee earlier in the season down at Kilmarnock. Surely it is not good for your joints.

"You feel about 105 when you come off the pitch after the game. It just shows you that it is not suitable to play 90 minutes on.

"I don't know how Hamilton train on it every day as it must knock a couple of years off your career. The boy from Hamilton took a sore one and that was down to the pitch. His foot got jarred in the pitch."

The Firhill forward, who is out of contact this summer, revealed that he would be unlikely to sign for a club that plays on 3G in the same way that James McFadden opted not to play for Kilmarnock.

He said: "If you are prone to injuries there is no point in taking a risk. I have spoken to Faddy about it and he had the chance to join Kilmarnock but didn't because his knees wouldn't hold up.

"The more and more you bring them in the more the game is going to go downhill. I'm not sure if I could play for a club who play on an artificial pitch."

That would be one hell of a quick turn from Kallum. He could hurt his knee doing that!

• Like 2

If Higgy is off to Killie it's a bit of a sore one to take.

The guy had flashes of brilliance for us, but hardly kicked a ball last season, so no great loss.

With their pitch I suspect he'll miss more games than not. Strange one - similar to Fox to County.

As long as they live to regret it, I'll be happy.

Cheerio.

After the NDP game, he was quoted in the Herald:

Higginbotham said: "I have never approved of plastic pitches and never will. It is just not for me. It is hard to get any sort of game going on that surface. I did my knee earlier in the season down at Kilmarnock. Surely it is not good for your joints.

"You feel about 105 when you come off the pitch after the game. It just shows you that it is not suitable to play 90 minutes on.

"I don't know how Hamilton train on it every day as it must knock a couple of years off your career. The boy from Hamilton took a sore one and that was down to the pitch. His foot got jarred in the pitch."

The Firhill forward, who is out of contact this summer, revealed that he would be unlikely to sign for a club that plays on 3G in the same way that James McFadden opted not to play for Kilmarnock.

He said: "If you are prone to injuries there is no point in taking a risk. I have spoken to Faddy about it and he had the chance to join Kilmarnock but didn't because his knees wouldn't hold up.

"The more and more you bring them in the more the game is going to go downhill. I'm not sure if I could play for a club who play on an artificial pitch."

That would be one hell of a quick turn from Kallum. He could hurt his knee doing that!

He clearly isn't the brightest lightbulb in the display.

Usually hate these type of posts but it's slightly concerning that we have lost two of our players to teams that finished below us in the table (not that I'm bothered about Fox). Is it simply a case of not being able to match wages offered or something else? Genuine question - not intended as an implied criticism of the manager or board.

Usually hate these type of posts but it's slightly concerning that we have lost two of our players to teams that finished below us in the table (not that I'm bothered about Fox). Is it simply a case of not being able to match wages offered or something else? Genuine question - not intended as an implied criticism of the manager or board.

The 2 players to have moved to other SPFL clubs have both made contradictory statements and it raises concerns with me about why they've chosen to go at this time. I hope it's simply that they're chasing the money. But it reminds me of the last time we lost players to the teams around us in the league when guys like Hardie & Burns got out to avoid an impending disaster.

• Like 1

I personally think we will miss Higgy an awful lot. He was injured a lot last season but looked like he was coming back to form the last few games. The amount of assists from him and Sod we will miss next season will put a dent in our goals for tally.

Killie are one of the last teams I thought he'd go to not only because of the pitch but the football they play is sh1te too. I think this is a really bad move for him . Amazed this is where he has ended up, not looking forward to him playing against us next season either.

hope Archie has got something up his sleeve, we've had some big losses this window.

• Like 1

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/sco-premiership-2014-2015/1/

That shows attendances last year: our average is c. 500 down on Killie's. Not massive by any means but maybe enough to offer that little bit more to a player really wanted. Don't see Killie as a team whose way of playing will really suit him, never mind their pitch.

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/sco-premiership-2014-2015/1/

That shows attendances last year: our average is c. 500 down on Killie's. Not massive by any means but maybe enough to offer that little bit more to a player really wanted. Don't see Killie as a team whose way of playing will really suit him, never mind their pitch.

And the season before we had 800+ every game that Killie had. The difference is the Celtic factor, nothing more, and this season we'll likely be higher than them again.

I can understand what you're hinting at. Two players leave us and both so obviously guilty of hypocrisy. Neither player having obviously enhanced their career prospects tho' if that sounds biased I could correct and throw in the word "marginally". All the same I really doubt it.

The obvious big question is could we not compete on wages with County and Killie or did Archie value Higgy and Fox less than those clubs?. Can't say I know the answer but I'm not the least bit phased with Fox leaving and I actually believe our goalie situation has actually improved. Hopefully then I'll feel the same way once we've replaced Higgy. Obviously time will tell but I remain upbeat about the prospects. If however Conrad turned round and signed for say Motherwell then I'd be having a rethink and be extremely sceptical of coincidence. :)

Would've in all honesty like to have seen Higginbotham re-signing and most certainly would've preferred to not see him sign for a rival but these things happen. Could be a few weeks till we know if we're strengthening, consolidating or merely biting the bullet squad wise. Not over concerned at this point of time.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I can understand what you're hinting at. Two players leave us and both so obviously guilty of hypocrisy. Neither player having obviously enhanced their career prospects tho' if that sounds biased I could correct and throw in the word "marginally". All the same I really doubt it.

The obvious big question is could we not compete on wages with County and Killie or did Archie value Higgy and Fox less than those clubs?. Can't say I know the answer but I'm not the least bit phased with Fox leaving and I actually believe our goalie situation has actually improved. Hopefully then I'll feel the same way once we've replaced Higgy. Obviously time will tell but I remain upbeat about the prospects. If however Conrad turned round and signed for say Motherwell then I'd be having a rethink and be extremely sceptical of coincidence. :)

Would've in all honesty like to have seen Higginbotham re-signing and most certainly would've preferred to not see him sign for a rival but these things happen. Could be a few weeks till we know if we're strengthening, consolidating or merely biting the bullet squad wise. Not over concerned at this point of time.

If as someone said, we can roll out Lyle Taylor on the same day as the jersey launch, I think most of us would be delighted!

In successive seasons Archie has shown that he can get us into this league, keep us there and improve our position. It must be soul destroying for him having difficullty holding on to players at the end of each season. Another successful year and he too might be tempted to move on to pastures richer.

In a word, yes. I believe most players have been offered the same money as they were on last season or in some cases less. Also, some players looking for two year deals and getting one. Stephen O'Donnell's ambition was to play in England. It's likely Conrad wants to try something different too. The others are just wanting to look after themselves financially, which is understandable.

I heard Higgy was offered an improved deal but still turned it down. And, let's face it, he's not going to Ayrshire for the potatoes.

I have never really understood 1 year deals especially for guys the age of higgy etc. fair enough for some 32 year old that you don't know when he is going to hit the cliff.

Say we offered higgy a new one year deal with improved wages and he accepted the club would then have to offered a new deal next summer most likely with improved wages.

While a two or three year deal could tie that player to the club on those wages for a few years thus not having to renegotiate contracts constantly.

I know the club maybe looks at it like 'but what if we get relegated and have most of the team tied up on spfl wages'. if we think like that and only offer 1 year contracts it will be difficult to always replace these players with better ones and thusly we might get relegated.

Note* I don't know the ins and outs of player contracts and quite possibly in longer deals they get a wage increase each year written into the deal which changes the situation slightly.

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

And the season before we had 800+ every game that Killie had. The difference is the Celtic factor, nothing more, and this season we'll likely be higher than them again.

I was only making the point that that may be why they can maybe offer a wee bit more cash than us for a player. I shouldn't think they'd be able to do this right through their team. I can't really see this as a great move for Higgy, their style won't suit him.

In a word, yes. I believe most players have been offered the same money as they were on last season or in some cases less. Also, some players looking for two year deals and getting one. Stephen O'Donnell's ambition was to play in England. It's likely Conrad wants to try something different too. The others are just wanting to look after themselves financially, which is understandable. I heard Higgy was offered an improved deal but still turned it down. And, let's face it, he's not going to Ayrshire for the potatoes.

To add to your argument with guys like big Frans, Seabourne, Osman, Fraser, Lawless and Bannigan in the team for the new season I don't think the situation is one we should be panicking about. Sure with Hearts coming up and Motherwell likely to be better it will be hard for us but that would be true even if we'd kept Fox and Higgy..

I have never really understood 1 year deals especially for guys the age of higgy etc. fair enough for some 32 year old that you don't know when he is going to hit the cliff. Say we offered higgy a new one year deal with improved wages and he accepted the club would then have to offered a new deal next summer most likely with improved wages. While a two or three year deal could tie that player to the club on those wages for a few years thus not having to renegotiate contracts constantly. I know the club maybe looks at it like 'but what if we get relegated and have most of the team tied up on spfl wages'. if we think like that and only offer 1 year contracts it will be difficult to always replace these players with better ones and thusly we might get relegated. Note* I don't know the ins and outs of player contracts and quite possibly in longer deals they get a wage increase each year written into the deal which changes the situation slightly.

I'm in agreement with you on this.