Club Statement

Jag

Very impressive that the Pars have managed to sell over 1,400 season tickets so far. I wonder how many we had last season and how many we will get this season - would be good if the club provided info in the way that a third tier club does.

https://twitter.com/officialdafc?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dafc.co.uk%2F&profile_id=72582858&tw_i=605102852848123904&tw_p=embeddedtimeline&tw_w=491669314760503296

I renewed via my MacBook, obviously couldn't use my iPad as it's not got Flash player. All in all a minor inconvenience and not one I'll be making a stink over, nor will I be making one over the Celtic games either that's unfortunately just down to cold hard economic reality!

To be clear, you can renew on an ipad (I just have), provided you're keeping your old seat. You only need Flash player if you're choosing a new seat

Very impressive that the Pars have managed to sell over 1,400 season tickets so far. I wonder how many we had last season and how many we will get this season - would be good if the club provided info in the way that a third tier club does.

https://twitter.com/...669314760503296

It is impressive, but they seem to be in a pretty desperate situation if you read their official website

https://twitter.com/...669314760503296

I think the concert involved the remnants of Big Country and Nazareth, which should've been a decent fund-raiser. I believe the Pars are staying full time next season, a decision that surprised a lot of their fans.

What I find curious is they more or less mirrored Hearts in their fall from grace, administration and subsequent resurrection. Yet one club can get out of the division they were demoted to first time of asking whilst the other struggles big time. I'd imagine if they're still a third tier club the season after next they'll be in real soapy bubble.

The Buddies have reached 2,000 season tickets sold so far:

https://twitter.com/saintmirrenfc

I don't expect that we will ever release our figure but it is slightly worrying to me that a relegated club and a third tier club (Dunfermline) look to have already sold more season tickets than we had last season (assuming we had approx 1,500).

• Like 1

The Buddies have reached 2,000 season tickets sold so far:

https://twitter.com/saintmirrenfc

I don't expect that we will ever release our figure but it is slightly worrying to me that a relegated club and a third tier club (Dunfermline) look to have already sold more season tickets than we had last season (assuming we had approx 1,500).

Slightly worrying it may be, but probably simply a reflection that these clubs are the only senior clubs for their respective towns, while we unfortunately share our city with certain undesirable elements. And while I'm well aware that they suck support from everywhere, It is always going to have the biggest impact on us (and other Glasgow clubs).

• Like 1

We do particularly poorly in comparison to other clubs. Is this because of the longstanding interpretation that Thistle are terrible, the cuddly toy of Scottish football? "Partick Thistle Nil" and all that? Or just because you have to be truly weird in Glasgow not to choose Proddie or Catholic, Blue or Green?

Dunfermline's population in 2011 was 49,706, and they announced season tickets sales of 1452 as of 31st May, or 2.93% of the city. That seems not bad for a third tier club.

In Saint Mirren's case, Paisley's population was 74130, and their just announced current season ticket sales are at 2050, a percentage of 2.76%. That's for a club just relegated and playing in the second tier next season.

The 2011 population of Glasgow was 598,830. But let's reduce our catchment area to the North-West of the city only, that still gives us a population of 197,375.

Of course the club don't tell us how many season tickets we sell, but let's be generous and say it's 2000 - that's a percentage of 1% of the available population.

I guess only a period of consistent success - high finishes up the league, a good few cup wins or at least appearances in finals - would do something to alleviate what is really a terrible lack of local interest compared to other clubs.

St Mirren are the third best supported club by folk living in Paisley. The Pars are the third best supported club by folk living in Dunfermline. That further makes their reported season ticket sales most impressive especially when you factor in their current lack of success.

I know if I gave up buying a season ticket it would be more likely not have much to do with the Jags having poor performances. So in that regard I'd be like the Pars and Buddies fans who continue to purchase STs. Fair then to assume I'd be far from alone. What concerns me more is the sheer repetition of fixtures and the possibility of us installing a plastic pitch.

Without knowing precise reasons why our ST sales/gates in general appear to be relatively poor I suggest the Club looks first to the interests of its existing fanbase.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2

We do particularly poorly in comparison to other clubs. I guess only a period of consistent success - high finishes up the league, a good few cup wins or at least appearances in finals - would do something to alleviate what is really a terrible lack of local interest compared to other clubs.

While a decent analysis I think a more logical way of looking at it is comparing the various fan bases. Our home average this season was c. 3500, St Mirren's was c. 3,900 while they were in relegation form most of the season. Regardless of local population our supports are not all that different - or that different from several other teams, though you'd think ours would be a wee bit better considering we had a decent season. If our season ticket sales are poorer than the likes of St Mirren then there is something wrong with our fanbase which can't just be blamed on being in the same city as the OF.

We are in some ways an odd club: we have an exceptional away support for a club our size (with guys trying to attend every game home/away) yet at the same time some fans are very fickle. Hopefully it's a decent take up this season - it would be nice if the club would let us know how things are going though.

What kind of discount do ST M and Dunfermline get when buying a ST compared to PATG ? There is a lot of negative comment on here about the price we pay for a ST even although at the renewal price of 308 it is 5 games free - over 20% discount. Even at the standard cost it is 3.5 games free - still 18% discount.

Maybe it is not promoted properly. Maybe our support don't trust the custodians of the club as much. I think there are more factors than just local population or fan base.

Impressive though these figures are, they are probably influenced by the current financial state of Dunfermline and their appeals to fans to get behind the club and St Mirren fans who see the opportunity of a fresh start to rebuild under a new manager after a very disappointing season.

On the face of it no other club suffers from geographical proximity to Celtic and Rangers as much as Thistle (we seldom "have Glasgow to ourselves" as old newspaper reports used to say) but it's easy to make too much of this. Are there any "floating" fans nowadays? I think not.

Unless we can consistently break the 3,500 - 4,000 barrier every week and/or find someone to invest sustainably in the club to take it to a higher level (egg-chicken, chicken-egg), then hovering around the bottom 6 is likely to be all that we can realistically hope for - an achievement in itself. Hanging on in there until the enough Weir youngsters come of age is essential.

Paradoxically, there aren't many teams that regularly take around 25%-30% of their home core support to away matches so the commitment is there - if not the numbers.

Perhaps Mr Fox has a point after all, but I doubt he'll find it any easier in Dingwall.

St Mirren are the third best supported club by folk living in Paisley. The Pars are the third best supported club by folk living in Dunfermline. That further makes their reported season ticket sales most impressive especially when you factor in their current lack of success.

I don't think more people actually travel from Dunfermline or Paisley to Ibrox and Celtic Park than go to see their home town teams. Maybe they do. Who knows the figures of such a thing? It would be interesting if there was a survey of where exactly all the fans actually travel from.

I think it's more accurate to say people outside Glasgow buy the shirts and watch the Old Firm on TV rather than go to their local games; and in that case the Big Four English teams can be added as well as the two Spanish clubs. I mean, you'll see more kids wearing Barcelona shirts in Glasgow than Thistle shirts. Do these people ever attend football matches though, and will anything tempt them away from their tellies?

I don't think more people actually travel from Dunfermline or Paisley to Ibrox and Celtic Park than go to see their home town teams. Maybe they do. Who knows the figures of such a thing? It would be interesting if there was a survey of where exactly all the fans actually travel from.

Nobody will argue with that tho' if you count up the supporters buses regularly leaving the Dunfermline area for ugly sister venues against the amount of Pars fans buses going to away fixtures you'll maybe get an inkling. A salient point maybe that once an urchin from Foxbar or Halbeath dons a sevco or Celtic top they're more or less lost to the cause.