Scully

clarencegarter

I won't go down the road of the OP opinion, but it's clear he is not good enough at this level. There can be no excuses for him as he has had two seasons of first team football at Dunfermline, where ironically enough I think he was their POTY both seasons. He is probably OK for that level but is sadly lacking at top league level.

I always wonder whether the level has the same influence with a goalkeeper. I'd have thought that a good second division goalkeeper could show up well in the premier. The job is the same.

Think it's more about confidence.

Probably just highlighting my ignorance.

If Černý was to sustain a long term injury next season, I am not confident Scully could step up to the mark. Since Scully has been in goals our defensive record has declined and I think that is a combination of his poorer technical ability and more importantly his inability to instil confidence in his defenders. In our 1st Division winning season, Scott Fox picked up that injury against Dunfermline, and I honestly feel a repeat of that next season could be disastrous. I think Scully has a future in the game, but it may mean a couple more seasons on loan at a Championship team.

we would be in serious trouble if we had to rely on Lindsay at centre defence and Scully in goals. everytime I've seen them both they have looked liked bombscares, to be honest I think I see the same problem in both of them, they both look over coached, as if they are told , you need to to be in this position at this time, then this position if the ball is in this area, they are both a bit robotic and have absolutely no anticipation of the ball or the opposition player at all.

The lack of command of his area is alarming and I simply can't believe he went thru two seasons at East End Pk in such a manner. What's equally alarming is the lack of leadership immediately in front of him. The defensive unit has been rightly praised but it's fairly clear to me that Cerny is the lynchpin. Without Tomas if things fall apart it's easy to blame Scully. I've no problem with that but please don't exonerate the more experienced players in central defence. To me the goal we lost up at Dingwall sums up this more than one to blame argument.

He's just not ready for top flight football. Not confident enough in commanding his area, his kicking is dreadful, and the supposed strong point of his game is shot-stopping yet he flaps at it quite a bit (see the Inverness game especially).

What is concerning is that despite having a run in the team, he doesn't seem to be getting very much better. He's clearly an improvement on what he was in the First Division winning season, but frankly not *that* much and the reason he's getting games ahead of Paul Gallagher is probably because the latter is really quite old now, even by a keeper's standard and the Club want to "give Ryan a chance".

I saw a stat, possibly here, possibly elsewhere, that showed Cerny conceded about a goal a game this season, while Ryan conceded more than two.

If your goalkeeper is conceding more than two goals a game and you've got a team like ours that this season averaged only just over one goal a game, is it any wonder he loses us points?

It's one thing to say that he's inexperienced, but Scully is going to be 24 years old next season. This isn't the YTS kid. We've got to expect from a back-up keeper at this level that they're at least in the same ballpark as good as a solid Championship stopper. Ryan hasn't even proved he's that good yet.

It might seem harsh, but I don't see how we can justify giving him another contract unless Gallagher and Archie really do see something in him that most of the fans just don't.

Woodstock, Cerny is our player of the season. He's made some incredible saves to keep our goals against very respectable. It would be unrealistic to expect Scully to come anywhere near matching Tomas statistically. Put another way I've seen Scully lose goals that half the top league keepers would lose but Cerny quite likely save. Tannadice on Tuesday for instance.

Kinda repeating myself but if you use statistics to condemn Scully in a way you're undermining Cerny who has just had one of the best goalie seasons I've seen since Rough.

The stats speak for themselves, but at the same time we'll never have a back up as good as the first choice. The question is can he improve to the point where we don't worry every time he plays? I'm not sure. He isn't the toughest but as a goalkeeper he's still fairly young. I feel he would probably develop better elsewhere where he would probably play more regularly.

In run of games he's had since the start of april, I'd wager he's played behind 6 different back four line ups.

He's gotta a long way to go to be anywhere near challenging Tam for the jersey, but I think he looks keen for that challenge.

A goalie at 23 still has time to prove his worth. Galls is 36 now and was at times outstanding for us last year, and yes Tam is a very deserving POY, but at 30/31 we're hoping this is him just approaching his peak right? That'll be why we offered him a 2 year extension on his contract maybe?

TC made his breakthrough in the "all about youth" hamilton team while still in the first div. Won his place and could then work on keeping it after promotion.

Ryan's task is arguably alot tougher, trying to break through into a top flight team.

He has played a part of our survival this year. 9(?) starts, 3wins(?) 2(?) draws and yeah 4 pretty horrendous defeats and a sending off .... However.... He's had one clean sheet, killie away, a game that really mattered. It's been heart in mouth at times but he's helped get us over the line.

As I understand it, he's still considered a bit of a hero at the Pars, and I reckon there's a few there who would take him back for their step up to the first. It's a tricky call for both club and player deciding what's best for his progression and improvement.... we need back up but we need our back up to improve, get game time etc... Scully's still more potential than proven for sure.

"One of the worst goalkeepers in thistles history" .... A bit suspect at his near post and should probably grow a beard or sumthin to give him a little more presence... but worst? .... not that i've seen, mate... nah.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 2

Woodstock, Cerny is our player of the season. He's made some incredible saves to keep our goals against very respectable. It would be unrealistic to expect Scully to come anywhere near matching Tomas statistically. Put another way I've seen Scully lose goals that half the top league keepers would lose but Cerny quite likely save. Tannadice on Tuesday for instance.

Kinda repeating myself but if you use statistics to condemn Scully in a way you're undermining Cerny who has just had one of the best goalie seasons I've seen since Rough.

Of course Scully is conceding goals other goalkeepers would concede. But frankly, he's also conceding those they wouldn't at this level, or at least nothing like as often. He isn't just not as good as Cerny; he's a quantum leap behind him.

I wasn't using statistics to condemn him. I was using them to illustrate the gulf.

I do not believe that Paul Gallagher would have conceded more than two goals per game had he played ahead of Scully this season.

In our first season back-up we lost about 1.7 goals per game. In our second it was down to 1.16. This season was 1.32.

The average goals per game conceded by the teams from 4th to 8th this year was 1.45. Last year it was 1.28. The year before it was 1.35.

If a goalkeeper is conceding more than two goals a game at this level, either his defence is abnormally appalling at this level or he isn't good enough.

Even if Cerny let in another 15 goals this season he'd have been bang average. But the stats suggest had Ryan been between the sticks we would have conceded an additional 32 goals during Tomas' games. That swings the 5th best defensive record in the league to the worst by 12 clear goals.

Clearly your second choice keeper isn't going to be as good as the average regular starter in the division, but the trend doesn't lie. Scully isn't even close to being as good as essentially any of the first pick keepers in the league and even as a second choice is very far down the pack. He's just straight-up not ready for this level and it shows.

It might not matter if we were a free-flowing, high-scoring team. But during the crunch time of this season, we've seen our "style" of play hinge-upon being defensively tight first and foremost. If that's to work as a system it's clear we need a keeper that can hold the defence together. Scully ain't doing that.

• Like 1

Of course Scully is conceding goals other goalkeepers would concede. But frankly, he's also conceding those they wouldn't at this level, or at least nothing like as often. He isn't just not as good as Cerny; he's a quantum leap behind him.

I wasn't using statistics to condemn him. I was using them to illustrate the gulf.

I do not believe that Paul Gallagher would have conceded more than two goals per game had he played ahead of Scully this season.

In our first season back-up we lost about 1.7 goals per game. In our second it was down to 1.16. This season was 1.32.

The average goals per game conceded by the teams from 4th to 8th this year was 1.45. Last year it was 1.28. The year before it was 1.35.

If a goalkeeper is conceding more than two goals a game at this level, either his defence is abnormally appalling at this level or he isn't good enough.

Even if Cerny let in another 15 goals this season he'd have been bang average. But the stats suggest had Ryan been between the sticks we would have conceded an additional 32 goals during Tomas' games. That swings the 5th best defensive record in the league to the worst by 12 clear goals.

Clearly your second choice keeper isn't going to be as good as the average regular starter in the division, but the trend doesn't lie. Scully isn't even close to being as good as essentially any of the first pick keepers in the league and even as a second choice is very far down the pack. He's just straight-up not ready for this level and it shows.

It might not matter if we were a free-flowing, high-scoring team. But during the crunch time of this season, we've seen our "style" of play hinge-upon being defensively tight first and foremost. If that's to work as a system it's clear we need a keeper that can hold the defence together. Scully ain't doing that.

I refer the Honourable member to the answer I gave some moments ago, and ask that he might apply a more liberal analysis while referring to statistics and forming a conclusion. :thumbsup2:

More important than whether Scully is good enough or not is can we get anyone better who is going to be happy to be number 2 behind Cerny ? I'm sure that there is not a queue of keepers asking to sit on the Jags bench every week.

Agreed, that will be a problem if Scully is released (though I don't see that happening to be honest) Cerny would have to be injured or hit a massive form dip or loss of confidence for him to lose the No 1 jersey