Bottom Of The League

Barney Rubble

My big disappointment is the attack.I don't mind losing 2 if we score 3.Really thought we had the firepower to give teams a going over.

Agree to a degree. I can't say we've exactly been scoring for fun..

Five games is far from ideal in making any comparison but as jaf says there's a bit of revisionism on the go. Personally I was never convinced about the Frans/Seaborne pairing anyway but the only time they played together during those five games was yon 0-3 humiliation at Tynecastle.

One of the issues is surely that we sign players late - and so we start slowly as new players bed in, without the benefit of having settled down? Might be wrong but this feels like a theme most seasons.

Then Archie's superiority to other managers sees us develop and do well - then at the end of the season we have gaps to fill again, due to our living within our means, so the cycle continues.

Am usually wrong but that's my impression anyway.

One of the issues is surely that we sign players late - and so we start slowly as new players bed in, without the benefit of having settled down? Might be wrong but this feels like a theme most seasons.

Then Archie's superiority to other managers sees us develop and do well - then at the end of the season we have gaps to fill again, due to our living within our means, so the cycle continues.

Am usually wrong but that's my impression anyway.

Archie's longer term vision in signing players means that the turnover this season has been considerably less than when he took over in early 2013 and with evident benefits. As a result there's been a greater sense of anticipation amongst us for this season, and not unnaturally so after the encouraging start in the cup.

However starting at Tannadice the weak spot has been exposed; we lost 3 out of 5 very good defensive players during the close season, and suddenly what was the strongest part of the team last season (back 4) has suddenly become considerably more unreliable.

That's curious if for no other reason that as soon as Miller, Frans and Seaborne decided not to stay, then it meant that at least two of those needed to be replaced like for like.

Whether they have been to a sufficient degree is presently open to debate.

And we need Doolan and Azeez to start scoring - Erskinho is absolved as he has been chipping in well so far.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Didn't know that. Encouraging as I believe that Devine is every bit the player Frans was and more. That I admit is hardly grounds for celebration.

So far what I've seen of Devine makes me think he's questionably even an improvement on Conrad Balatoni, let alone Frans. Frans was an excellent defender at our level, denied as much game-time as he could have demanded for most other clubs in our league.

• Like 3

I often wonder how long some people here have actually been supporting Thistle?

Boxing Day 2006. 3-0 home loss to Stirling Albion in Division 2. Colin Stewart in goals.

Promoted that season, incredibly, the following season we lost 6-0 to Gretna, 5-1 to St Johnstone and 4-0 to Clyde - all at home, in the same season.

So for people to be so downbeat after just 5 games in to our 4th straight season in the premier league? Sorry, I'm not having it and I give absolutely no credibility to those that do.

• Like 1

Boxing Day 2006. 3-0 home loss to Stirling Albion in Division 2. Colin Stewart in goals.

Promoted that season, incredibly, the following season we lost 6-0 to Gretna, 5-1 to St Johnstone and 4-0 to Clyde - all at home, in the same season.

So for people to be so downbeat after just 5 games in to our 4th straight season in the premier league? Sorry, I'm not having it and I give absolutely no credibility to those that do.

Well said. A good point in time to highlight just where we were ten years ago. Beaten at home in the challenge cup by Albion Rovers into the bargain.

And the 1-5 home game Ian refers to was played in front of 2900+, a slightly larger crowd than turned up for the corresponding fixture this season. Highlighting that our improvement from the lower half of the 2nd tier owes absolutely nothing to increased revenue.

So ten years of following Thistle gives you the authority to talk down to supporters who dare criticise? Sanctimonious, are we not?

Personally I've followed Thistle for 47 seasons and seen worse defeats, horrors than you have mentioned. So when you'very done a few more years then come back and condescend to me!

I'm a Valencia fan and we think we have had a bad start !

As ever we are not likely to be huge scorers in this league....therefore we need to get the goals against down

Probably we are all realizing not being in the bottom 2 is a good achievement

Interesting that our Goal difference at -2 is the best of the bottom six, albeit we have still to play Celtic as have Dundee and Hamilton

That was glory days compared to the Benny Rooney era

Jim Delahunt was most certainly NOT bottom of the big hero league this weekend just gone whilst attending a certain Perthshire based wedding. Jim Delahunt was the guest of honour and delivered an utterly STIRRING speech which reduced the entire place to a sobbing wreck! After partaking in several VODDIES at the free bar with my big pal, Mark Hateley, Jim Delahunt met a Richard Ashcroft lookalike who was simply DELIGHTED to have met a true and genuine celebrity such as myself! The end of the evening was signalled by Hateley decking it into the wedding cake whilst dancing to Big Country, spoiling the TRULY fetching pair of tartan trews he was sporting. Using his unrivalled charm, winning smile, and excellent dress sense Jim Delahunt smoothed things over with the disgruntled bride and the group of HEAVIES who were on the verge of landing a punch or two on Hateley's coupon. A limousine was swiftly ordered on Jim Delahunt's personal account and the entire party was transported to my outstanding Trendy West End Pad where the bottles of Bollinger flowed until the wee hours. Delahunt does it again!

• Like 6

Jim Delahunt was most certainly NOT bottom of the big hero league this weekend just gone whilst attending a certain Perthshire based wedding. Jim Delahunt was the guest of honour and delivered an utterly STIRRING speech which reduced the entire place to a sobbing wreck! After partaking in several VODDIES at the free bar with my big pal, Mark Hateley, Jim Delahunt met a Richard Ashcroft lookalike who was simply DELIGHTED to have met a true and genuine celebrity such as myself! The end of the evening was signalled by Hateley decking it into the wedding cake whilst dancing to Big Country, spoiling the TRULY fetching pair of tartan trews he was sporting. Using his unrivalled charm, winning smile, and excellent dress sense Jim Delahunt smoothed things over with the disgruntled bride and the group of HEAVIES who were on the verge of landing a punch or two on Hateley's coupon. A limousine was swiftly ordered on Jim Delahunt's personal account and the entire party was transported to my outstanding Trendy West End Pad where the bottles of Bollinger flowed until the wee hours. Delahunt does it again!

It's a PLEASURE to see Jim D back on the Forum

• Like 3

The only consolation I am taking at the minute is that of our 7 games, 5 have been against top 6 teams and we have taken 4 points from the other 2 games.

I have said previously that I think we had a few blows injury and budget wise which I think means we would be fighting relegation rather than competing for top 6. The next 3 games are important to making sure that we don't get cast adrift early