Line Up V Dungdee

Paukea

I'd love to see us revert to a back three, but we just don't have the full-backs for it at the moment. I suspect Archie will go with something like this:

--------------------------Storey -----------------------------

----------Lawless ---------------------Spittal--------------

--------------------------Erskine----------------------------

----------------Barton ----------Edwards------------------

McGinn--------Devine----------Keown---------Nitrianski

--------------------------Cerny-----------------------------

Edited by Gnome on the Bing

Alternatively, we could provide more support for Barton in the middle by going 4-3-3, with the attacking personnel being quite interchangeable.

-----------Erskine-------Storey--------Spittal-------------

----------Edwards------Barton--------McCarthy----------

McGinn--------Devine----------Keown---------Nitrianski

---------------------------Cerny---------------------------

Edited by Gnome on the Bing
  • Like 1

Last week leading up to the Kilmarnock game I had a team in my head which I kept meaning to post on the forum, but never quite got the chance. Archie chose a different team and formation, but since then general forum mood seems to be swinging in the same direction as much of what I was thinking. So I am going to actually name my team this time and it is identical to last week's putative selection (a sort of 3-4-2-1 which could solidify into a 5-4-1 when needed):

GK-Cerny.

RWB-McGinn. Has to play on his natural side. Has tried gamely on the left, but is considerably less effective there. Offers far more than Nitriansky.

RCB-Keown, I would not argue if Devine were preferred, and will leave that call to Archie.

SWP-Barton. So much better here than lost in the midfield engine room. Carrying the ball out of defence, seeing the game clearly and making passes and runs both forward and to the sides.

LCB-Turnbull. Our best and most cultured defender, and could at times switch things by coming forward instead of or in combination with Barton. Has to start.

LWB-Bannigan. Harshly condemned for one poor performance v Motherwell. No worries with good defender like Turnbull behind. Knows the route to goal and can cut in rather than always go wide.

CDM-McCarthy. Now is the time for him to make the step up. Has confidence and ability in spades, and a wee bit of dig too. I think he will do well.

CDM-Edwards. Puts so much in all over the park and never hides. Just needs that clinical edge, so as not to waste his excellent work. Energy, spirit and driving force. Can be an inspiration.

RAM-Spittal. Creative in open and set play. Always likely to score. I see the wing backs giving width and the attacking mids being more central and combining to attack the box and/or win free kicks.

LAM-Erskine. Automatic selection and I am sensing that this could be one of his special days. However, Archie must be quick to change to Lawless or even Sammon if it is not working.

CF-Doolan. Talismanic and has to be the best chance of a goal. My only concern is lack of pace in the team and therefore Storey could get the nod or be a relatively early replacement.

My other positional change which I did mention last week and I believe bears repeating is a change of ends. In the decisive phase of the game, i.e. the latter part of the second half, the team should be feeding off the positive energy of the North Stand rather than being drained by its collective nervousness. A small shift in the mood music, but I think it could bring the freshness and vitality that we are all desperately craving.

Edited by partickthedog
  • Like 1

Victories for Crystal Palace and Bolton Wanderers last weekend left Thistle and Brechin as the only two teams in the eight leagues in Scotland and England without a league win this season.

Without a goal, never mind a win, Crystal Palace clearly felt the need to try something different. So they played with two pacy wingers up front, Zaha and Townsend, with no centre forward in between them, which unsettled their opponents. Worth a try with Storey and Sammon? Ok, not quite the same class of player. But we're not playing Chelsea.