Martin Woods

javeajag

Helps us out - puts himself in shop window and/or chance of contract extension. Proven at this level - can't see what the negativity is about.

Whilst I've been as critical of recent performances as most, guess worth remembering that some recent signings (in particular Nitriansky & arguably McGinn) know they're likely to be 2nd if not 3rd choice when we have a full squad to chose from and out of contract - it's little wonder performances and results have suffered.

You get what you pay for ......

• Like 1

Helps us out - puts himself in shop window and/or chance of contract extension. Proven at this level - can't see what the negativity is about.

Whilst I've been as critical of recent performances as most, guess worth remembering that some recent signings (in particular Nitriansky & arguably McGinn) know they're likely to be 2nd if not 3rd choice when we have a full squad to chose from and out of contract - it's little wonder performances and results have suffered.

mcGinn got man of the match on Tuesday night. - if he puts in more performances like that I could see him being here longer
  • Like 2

This

Maybe significant that Archie sees Woods as a stand in for Banzo as opposed to Abdul. He's looked a useful player most times playing against us tho' maybe flies beneath the radar. Same could be said of Sean Welsh and I sense we miss him more than we thought we would. Can see us ending the season with more midfielders than we know what to do with but that's most certainly not a problem just now.

Woods could be match ready about the same time Fraser is able to put in 90 mins so who knows we may even have competition for starting places in midfield quite soon.

Maybe significant that Archie sees Woods as a stand in for Banzo as opposed to Abdul. He's looked a useful player most times playing against us tho' maybe flies beneath the radar. Same could be said of Sean Welsh and I sense we miss him more than we thought we would. Can see us ending the season with more midfielders than we know what to do with but that's most certainly not a problem just now. Woods could be match ready about the same time Fraser is able to put in 90 mins so who knows we may even have competition for starting places in midfield quite soon.

Just saw his interview (and Archie's re Saturday) and I hadn't realised he is left footed - though can play on right or at least claims to be able to play anywhere in midfield. That would suggest you're right and he would fit into Banzo's position comfortably. He made the point we have only 2 games in November which would give him a chance to get 100% fit before our tough December run. It occurs to me maybe he could play left back or at least left wing back but of course we can'r risk trying that out until he's fully match fit. Most likely to be on the bench Saturday,

Apologies if I'm wrong (put it down to an age thingy) but all talk in the summer was about us signing central defender(s), another striker and a wide attacker. I was at the Training Day Q & A and Archie didn't surprise us with the areas targeted. Obviously subsequent injuries to full backs required attention but nowhere have I read anything about central midfielders been targeted. I've not got the stamina to read relevant threads but I doubt you'll find many posts suggesting that signing a central midfielder was a priority and as I say Archie more or less confirmed that at the Q &A. Going with Osman, Barton, McCarthy, Edwards, Bannigan and later, Fraser looked a lot healthier than other areas in the squad.

...then add Erskine, Lawless and (subsequently) Spittal (presumably targeted) to that list and for sure there was no perceived need to target an already overcrowded midfield. Knicker wetters seem to have short memories.

Welcome to the Energy Check Stadium at Firhill Martin. We all hope you enjoy your time with Thistle and that this proves to be the highlight of your career! :clapping::head_ball::clapping:

Clearly not someone who is going to excite but from the limited time on the park today I was impressed. He looks as if he could be trusted to do a job and was very professional including running down the clock which is something we are not good at.

He may become a 'big' player for us this season with all the injuries.

• Like 2