New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

12 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

No being funny but to transform Barnsley would take hundreds of millions, to transfer us into a side capable of Europen football would be peanuts in comparison. Which may be another reason they want us.

Is there any evidence you can find that they actually invest ?

getting into Europe ?! Apart from the ugly sisters Europe costs teams money ! 

3 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

No being funny but to transform Barnsley would take hundreds of millions, to transfer us into a side capable of Europen football would be peanuts in comparison. Which may be another reason they want us.

It wouldn’t take hundred of millions to transform Barnsley, if you look at the teams like Norwich, Aston Villa etc , they’ve certainly spent money on their teams to get to the Premier League but not hundreds of millions.

To get us to anywhere near European football would take a minimum of at least 5 - 10 years IMO , having to overtake Rangers / Celtic , Aberdeen , Hearts , Motherwell, Hibs , Kilmarnock etc ,  all these Clubs have a infrastructure in place and a much bigger fan base .    Not sure if the Investment Company see us a long term plan or not , perhaps David Beattie could enlighten us .

Pinhead's correct in so much as we could get a regular Euro gig easier than Barnsley. But even if roles were reversed I still wouldn't like the idea of us buying raw talent and farming them out to Barnsley. However if we were producing players thru our academy and then farming them out that would be a different story. Alas how unlikely is that scenario?

4 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Pinhead's correct in so much as we could get a regular Euro gig easier than Barnsley. But even if roles were reversed I still wouldn't like the idea of us buying raw talent and farming them out to Barnsley. However if we were producing players thru our academy and then farming them out that would be a different story. Alas how unlikely is that scenario?

You don’t need European football with Barnsley you just need to get into the Premiership and your in the money and you don’t need to spend hundreds of millions to do that 

instead of us all speculating why doesn’t our chairman communicate with us ?

9 minutes ago, javeajag said:

You don’t need European football with Barnsley you just need to get into the Premiership and your in the money and you don’t need to spend hundreds of millions to do that 

instead of us all speculating why doesn’t our chairman communicate with us ?

Maybe missing the point tho' we're probably singing from the same hymn sheet. The cost of transforming a Scottish club into a regular Euro outfit is significantly less than getting an English championship side promoted AND then maintaining their top league status.

Regardless,  this patter is heading down a hypothetical dead end. No one can seriously believe Barnsley would be a feeder club to us. It's just that I, like most of us, can't see the commercial viability, from a billionaire's perspective at least, of us feeding Barnsley FC.

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Maybe missing the point tho' we're probably singing from the same hymn sheet. The cost of transforming a Scottish club into a regular Euro outfit is significantly less than getting an English championship side promoted AND then maintaining their top league status.

Regardless,  this patter is heading down a hypothetical dead end. No one can seriously believe Barnsley would be a feeder club to us. It's just that I, like most of us, can't see the commercial viability, from a billionaire's perspective at least, of us feeding Barnsley FC.

The more you think about this consortium and look at Barnsley the worse it gets  

Killie got very excited about qualifying for Europe but only played a team that we've drawn in the Challenge Cup.

Might not take much to qualify for Europe from Scotland, but you have to be a lot better if you're going to get anywhere. Aberdeen can't do it. If anyone thinks they are looking to transform us into something bigger than Aberdeen.... Well, I have my doubts.

And if getting into Europe is their aim then a Welsh or Northern Irish club could get them there much quicker and cheaper than buying and transforming Thistle.

So far today we’ve had turning cheap signings into millions of ££££ and finding their way into European football. Any other theories what this is all about?

3 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

And if getting into Europe is their aim then a Welsh or Northern Irish club could get them there much quicker and cheaper than buying and transforming Thistle.

So far today we’ve had turning cheap signings into millions of ££££ and finding their way into European football. Any other theories what this is all about?

Making money for them 

46 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

I've put my theory out there and so far no-ones denied it. Still think it's all about setting a precedent.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

But Aston Villa felt that they had to spend that to have a reasonable prospect of maintaining their Premier League status for a few seasons at least.

Think they’ll be alright even if they did go down, parachute payments alone are 100 million and I’m sure John McGinn is worth a lot of money now .

Don’t think we’re quite at that level .

19 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

But Aston Villa felt that they had to spend that to have a reasonable prospect of maintaining their Premier League status for a few seasons at least.

You do realise that income in the  ha,pionship, even for lower placed teams, dwarfs anything we could earn in Scotland don’t you?

49 minutes ago, scotty said:

I've put my theory out there and so far no-ones denied it. Still think it's all about setting a precedent.

If it is, then why Thistle ? 

I could be wrong, but I don’t believe that the shareholders were actively looking to sell (if they were then why let JLow become chairman). Therefore they must have approached Thistle when there are cheaper options that would be actively looking to sell.

I also don’t buy the loaning kids as there is no history of them doing that between Nice and Barnsley.

The one thing that probably makes us unique is the lack of debt, so they can take the pot of cash from the reserves then land us with debt without having to deal with a bank.

PS. I would love it if Chien/Conway/whoever were reading this an laughing at our theories

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Barnsley have brought 14 players in spent something like £5million this season

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-barnsley/transfers/verein/349

That’s absolutely peanuts in that division , Rangers spent 7 million on Ryan Kent , Celtic the same on Christopher Julien

They also sold Liam Lindsay for 3 million

Seems they don’t spend on players 

• admin locked this topic