Another kick in the baws

jaggy

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

Championship clubs get £500k grant, League 1 only get £150k :(

The total grant is £10,000,000.

Championship clubs get £500,000, i.e. 50% of the total.

League 1 clubs get £150,000 i.e. 15% of the total.

League  2 clubs get £100000 i.e. 10% of the total. 

Full time clubs like Thistle, Falkirk  and Queens Park are disproportionately affected by this allocation, with Alloa and Arbroath the clear winners.

The club needs to urgently seek the SFA/SPFL to explain the logic here. Pity there is no vote involved, as Morton and QOS  need their cash before the end of this month.  This split defies all logic.

Edited by East Kent Jag II

The grants were £10 million to lower leagues, that means £2.5 million is missing somewhere and i doubt that is going to Lowland/Highland teams. Doncaster got his fingers in the till? Surely something like £450k Championship, £200k League 1, £100k League 2 would have been more sensible. How they get a £350k drop from Championship to League 1 i will never know, especially when there is only a £50k drop down to League 2. Crooked SPFL as always.

Whilst I think the split does seem skewed in favour of the Championship we need to focus on ourselves and what we do with the money we receive. At the moment we don't know if there are any conditions attached - can't imagine the Scottish Government being too happy if clubs which were indicating they could not pay wages suddenly splashed out on more players!

From the statement made prior to the AGM:

"As things stand, with the budget notionally balanced, any additional income from now on will strengthen the Club’s position as the financial year progresses."

I am sure that the manager will want to do some work in January but with injured players returning that could lessen the need to spend there. At some point fans will return to stadiums and broken seats, leaky roofs, etc will still need fixed so it is important we use the money we are given wisely. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Whilst I think the split does seem skewed in favour of the Championship we need to focus on ourselves and what we do with the money we receive. At the moment we don't know if there are any conditions attached - can't imagine the Scottish Government being too happy if clubs which were indicating they could not pay wages suddenly splashed out on more players!

From the statement made prior to the AGM:

"As things stand, with the budget notionally balanced, any additional income from now on will strengthen the Club’s position as the financial year progresses."

I am sure that the manager will want to do some work in January but with injured players returning that could lessen the need to spend there. At some point fans will return to stadiums and broken seats, leaky roofs, etc will still need fixed so it is important we use the money we are given wisely. 

I am pretty sure we will use it wisely.

other teams (particularly those in the championship) I’m not convinced will use it with the right intentions 

You can bet Doncaster and McLennan will work tirelessly to keep down  the clubs perceived by them as the  enemy and right now Thistle and Falkirk will be in that category. 

I suspect we and others can expect to be on the thick end of  future decisions. An example might be calling the season in the lower Leagues and cancelling the play-offs! 

The full time teams in League 1 should get together and make a public complaint about this distribution and write to the Sports Minister to register their protest. Anything that will highlight the incompetence and maliciousness of the SPFL. 

10 hours ago, Pinhead said:

The grants were £10 million to lower leagues, that means £2.5 million is missing somewhere and i doubt that is going to Lowland/Highland teams. Doncaster got his fingers in the till? Surely something like £450k Championship, £200k League 1, £100k League 2 would have been more sensible. How they get a £350k drop from Championship to League 1 i will never know, especially when there is only a £50k drop down to League 2. Crooked SPFL as always.

The £10,000,000 for the lower leagues was intended for lower pyramid teams outside the SPFL and the womans game, as well as Championship  Leagues 1 &2 clubs.  Non SPFL leagues also got £ 1.25 million lottery/ SFA grant. 

No SPFL/SFA  press release yet, outlining the breakdowns. 

Our issue is that we are full time in a part time league. Morton & QOS will need to be saved from going bust, but I suspect you'll find The SFA/SPFL will argue you disadvantage clubs in a league by giving differing amounts to different clubs . 

The difference in value between Championship  and League 1 is colossal,  but reflects full time to part time status.  Alloa,  Arbroath  win, Thistle,  Falkirk & QP lose .  QOS  chairman Hewison  will no doubt say there will be winners and losers. 

"Boss, that was Partick Thistle and Falkirk on the phone."

"Who? Never heard of them".

"Falkirk and Partick Thistle, boss. They play in League 1".

"League what? Never heard of that either. What do they want"?

"They're complaining that Championship teams have got £500k but they've only got £150k."

"So"?

"Well they're full-time clubs yet there are part-time clubs in the Championship . Hardly seems fair".

"Ah, quite right. We've made a dog's dinner of this. Tell you what, charge them with bringing the game into disrepute and haul them up before a disciplinary panel. That'll teach them to get above their station.  Fine them  both £150k when they're found guilty and I'll let you know what to do with the money. I've a few phone calls to make first".

• Like 1

Surely the split should be based on the normal turnover of the business? I dont imagine some of the smaller premier teams wont be to happy either ( not that I care much ). Be interesting to see the logic behind this and who was consulted. Maybe Hearts will give us a wee hand out for our " support " on the fight against demotion?