New manager/coach

Big Wull

4 hours ago, MonehJags said:

Next seasons budget

Optimist! :)

Trying hard myself to be optimistic re whatever our financial state is. So I've one question I'd like to ask opinions on..........

Assume finances about now were such to allow some latitude. Would you rather see certain players contracted to May 03 re-signed OR would you prefer to effectively lose these players and bring in a permanent manager?

A side point to that question indicates a glass half empty situation. McCall didn't re-sign (or lengthen contract of) a single player in or before the January window*. Indeed our wage bill is probably a tad less than it was going into the window. There's been no mention of contract renewals. With that in mind it strongly suggests that we're not exactly in the hunt for a new manager at this moment of time. Just how long a this moment in time lasts is what we should really be concerned about.

*eta McCall did extend Hodson's loan but balanced that with others leaving.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

17 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Trying hard myself to be optimistic re whatever our financial state is. So I've one question I'd like to ask opinions on..........

Assume finances about now were such to allow some latitude. Would you rather see certain players contracted to May 03 re-signed OR would you prefer to effectively lose these players and bring in a permanent manager?

A side point to that question indicates a glass half empty situation. McCall didn't re-sign (or lengthen contract of) a single player in or before the January window*. Indeed our wage bill is probably a tad less than it was going into the window. There's been no mention of contract renewals. With that in mind it strongly suggests that we're not exactly in the hunt for a new manager at this moment of time. Just how long a this moment in time lasts is what we should really be concerned about.

The trouble is that there are too many unknowns in the equation.

- What is the confidence in Doolan as an interim manager v any permanent manager

- What managers would be interested as a Championship club v a Premiership club

- How much would it cost to recruit a permanent manager

- How many of the players would be interested in resigning as a Championship club

- How many more would be interested if we were to be promoted

- How much would it cost to sign the players that are interested (and that I would want)

Just too many unknowns for me.

18 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Excluding loan players, 10 of the current first team squad will see their contracts expire at the end of the season. It's fair to assume that none of these will be extended until a permanent manager is in place &, more than ever, the number is likely to be dependent on finance. For what it's worth my order of preference is:

Sneddon, Turner, Tiffoney, Docherty, Holt, Banzo/Mullen, Muirhead, Brownlie, Smith.

PS. remember we could only extend Hodson's loan with financial support from TJF

7 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The trouble is that there are too many unknowns in the equation.

- What is the confidence in Doolan as an interim manager v any permanent manager

- What managers would be interested as a Championship club v a Premiership club

- How much would it cost to recruit a permanent manager

- How many of the players would be interested in resigning as a Championship club

- How many more would be interested if we were to be promoted

- How much would it cost to sign the players that are interested (and that I would want)

Just too many unknowns for me.

And how many out of contract players have already received tentative offers from other clubs? I'm sure I read at least a couple have.

55 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

For what it's worth my order of preference is:

Sneddon, Turner, Tiffoney, Docherty, Holt, Banzo/Mullen, Muirhead, Brownlie, Smith.

I was forgetting that it was TJF that got Hodson's extension over the line. Only emphasises more how dire our finances might be.

I'm kinda impressed with the Muirhead/Holt partnership. Central defence is more often than not the case of the whole exceeding the sum of the parts. The fact both of them can cover other positions as well pushes them up my priority list. A fit Tiffoney would still be top priority but there's a big worry there.  

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Excluding loan players, 10 of the current first team squad will see their contracts expire at the end of the season. It's fair to assume that none of these will be extended until a permanent manager is in place &, more than ever, the number is likely to be dependent on finance. For what it's worth my order of preference is:

Retaining Sneddon, Turner and Milne are a must for me. I also think the Muirhead/Holt partnership is a good one.

Smith can depart.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I think you order of preference is pretty much right. Only debate would be if Muirhead should be higher up the list

I wouldn't be offering Smith an extension no matter what. It pains me to say it but I would also suggest its the end of the road for Brownlie's time at Firhill. Also think Mullen has some work to do to earn a new contract.

Doolan will be getting an uplift in wages for being the interim manager

The way some on here are going on about the clubs financial problems is like we are on the brink. I dont know as to what the budgets are as do anyone on this forum of speculation. Its the club boards responsibility to figure out what funds are available. We dont need two assistants for a start

4 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

The way some on here are going on about the clubs financial problems is like we are on the brink. I dont know as to what the budgets are as do anyone on this forum of speculation. Its the club boards responsibility to figure out what funds are available. We dont need two assistants for a start

I don't know what the optimal number of 'assistants' should be, although I favour quality over quantity with regards to backroom staff.

Darvel appears to favour quantity

First Team Manager: Michael Kennedy

Assistant Manager: Craig McEwan

Blair Munn – Head Coach

Scott Duncan – Coach

Gerry Hamilton – Coach

Stephen Fleming – Coach

Zander Cowie – Goalkeeping Coach

Jamie McDonald – Fitness Coach

John Walker – Team Analyst

Andrew O’Donnell – Physio

43 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I don't know what the optimal number of 'assistants' should be, although I favour quality over quantity with regards to backroom staff.

Darvel appears to favour quantity

First Team Manager: Michael Kennedy

Assistant Manager: Craig McEwan

Blair Munn – Head Coach

Scott Duncan – Coach

Gerry Hamilton – Coach

Stephen Fleming – Coach

Zander Cowie – Goalkeeping Coach

Jamie McDonald – Fitness Coach

John Walker – Team Analyst

Andrew O’Donnell – Physio

There was me worried we couldnt afford a manager either

5 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I don’t get this Turner love in. I would put Doc way above him in priorities.

I don't know what you have been watching DD . but turner has been our playmaker for month's now , since he got a run in the team , and played in his right position, Doc has been wofull since he came back from injury..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MonehJags said:

Ignoring job titles for the moment, how many posts do you think a club like Thistle should have managing and coaching the team? I've gone through every team in Championship and the only one I could find that didn't have three or more staff managing/coaching the 1st team was Morton. A lot of clubs have additional posts, I assume on part-time basis - performance analyst fitness coach, sports scientist, etc. So having three staff I would think is pretty normal. 

22 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I don’t get this Turner love in. I would put Doc way above him in priorities.

Leading assist maker this season and last and taken into account the serious family issues he had to deal with for a young lad that makes his performances even more impressive.

Not arguing that Docherty is not of the utmost priority to get signed up too but just putting why people would want Turner signed up.

Personally I would like both of them signed up

2 hours ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

From Beeb site!  Guess he's not interested in us then!

"Former Celtic and Hibernian manager Neil Lennon, who has been out of work since being sacked by Cypriot club Omonia in October, is keen to get back into the dugout - but insists nothing is taking his fancy at the moment "

phew