Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Bobbyhouston

Are we allowed in for Dunfermline cup game ?

Recommended Posts

Just to say great to be back at Firhill. Thought the event was very well run and organised so credit to those involved in the circumstances, though it was all a little surreal. Not much to add to comments already made on the football. In typical Thistle fashion raised expectations in first 20 mins, then the roof fell in. New League Cup set up always throws up some strange results, so lets hope there was an element of that. Thought Turner, Bannigan, Docherty, Tiffoney and Graham looked generally decent. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was great to get back to Firhill today and also have a chat with @partickthedog. We started of well and should have been a couple ahead before they scored. It was concerning at how  easily they got them. I felt that for a good bit of the game it felt like and was also played like a pre season game.  A number of our players didn't look up to speed, which is probably not surprising considering the amount of games that have been played and training has also been disrupted for various reasons for some of them.

Although this is the league cup i feel a number of teams use this competition to get their squad up to speed and i feel that this would be the best way for us. League imo has to be the priority, so let's try and get the defence and midfield working together, give Harry Stone a chance in goals and see who else we bring in.  Let's see how we  start our league campaign in 3 weeks time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

But! But! The manager says he takes this competition seriously? Surely he wasn't telling fibs?

Maybe he was and the defence weren’t??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Last season we lost our first game which was a League Cup group game  conceding 4 goals and went on to win the League :)

A cover version this season will do nicely!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

It's his job to make sure the players do!

Some of the players in their 30s should be experienced enough to know that for themselves 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't go to the game as I'll save my powder to the 31st July. To even attempt to judge a thistle team at this stage is a) futile b ) pointless or c) insanity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, elevenone said:

Already a few matches forfeited 3-0 due to covid.  Forfar ‘beat’ Ross C and St Mirren ‘beat’ Dumbarton.

This got me thinking. Under "normal" conditions, such as a flu outbreak, can't teams apply for a mere postponement of a match if too many of their squad is infected?

If so, then why is another contagious virus, namely Covid-19, treated differently. You only have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, through no fault of your own, and get infected. So why should clubs actually get punished if this has happened to some of their players (unless of course there is clear evidence that the club itself has not complied with required protocols)? 

 

ETA: Or is it the affected teams themselves who forfeit the match and give the points or tie to the opposition?

Edited by Jaggernaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jaggy said:

I thought that too and was wondering if Bobby Houston agrees, cos if Senna isn't a player I don't know what that makes O'Ware

My reaction when O'Ware was kept on was "Oh Why?" He was obviously bang average (admittedly, like most of his team mates) before his terrible injury, and I reckon he's now unlikely to be able to reach even those previous dizzy heights of averageness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the highlights, I thought we looked quite good in attack. Two scored, could/should have been at least double.

But the defending..... unacceptable lack of coordination and it has to be said, some individuals looking like they couldn't be bothered to put in any more than minimal effort.

Sneddon isn't among those up for criticism.... totally let down by those in front of him for all four goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

From the highlights, I thought we looked quite good in attack. Two scored, could/should have been at least double.

But the defending..... unacceptable lack of coordination and it has to be said, some individuals looking like they couldn't be bothered to put in any more than minimal effort.

Sneddon isn't among those up for criticism.... totally let down by those in front of him for all four goals.

There didn’t seem to be anyone in command at the back..no shouting or basic communication going on.Also felt with Foster roaming up the park we were badly exposed at right of defence for at least two of their goals .

Edited by Anniesland Jag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the basis of what the Manager said in his reaction  to the match he is pretty much in agreement with comments on this thread. 

Lots positives going forward from Midfield to Striker; two goals should have been more (the old PT story) and  very poor defensively not just the back line but as a team! 

Also, and importantly, a number of players not quite up to match fitness. Given his long absence O'Ware certainly one of then in addition to our whole Midfield (all of whom, it seems missed periods of training). 

Not often fans and a manager come up with similar match appraisals! 

Although we lost the match the statistics and comments suggest we actually  had the measure of Dunfermline who let's not forget reached the play-offs last season. So let's trust the manager to get the players fit and improve our teamwork and defending as a team!

Personally I was delighted to see Rudden score from the off! 

I am still enthusiastic about this season. Another text from Doncaster saying 'Partick Thistle worthy Champions' will be very welcome! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course it’s early days. But yesterday’s game exposed an inherent weakness on the right side of defence. All the goals came through that channel.

I would hope management will review because all 4 were easy, gifts.  There appeared no cover for Foster. I’ve no idea where O’Ware was and Turner and Docherty(who had a shocker) disappeared. Already I’m thinking that midfield 3 isn’t going to work. 
 

Not sure why some are blaming Sneddon. Blameless for all 4 goals.

Has McKenna done something wrong? Couldn’t believe he wasn’t on at ht.

We should have been 3 up.  We were playing some great stuff.  The non strikers need to be told that they are expected to score. Docherty misses far to many chances because he doesn’t consider himself a goal scorer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

There didn’t seem to be anyone in command at the back..no shouting or basic communication going on.Also felt with Foster roaming up the park we were badly exposed at right of defence for at least two of their goals .

Much what I was getting at with my too many chiefs gibe. Vast experience across the back as with two central midfielders. Captain and ex captain within these ranks.

Common procedure when a full back moves upfield out of position is either the remaining three defenders move across a position and a wide or defensive midfielder fills in as the other full back, or more simply a central mid covers for the attacking full back. Doing neither is not really an option at least if the game is still in the balance. 

 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the highlights, mainly to check if the 3rd and 4th Dunfermline goals were legit.  Fair play to the officials, both calls were correct.  Never been a fan of Conner Murray but thought he played well yesterday, hopefully this will be a big season for him.

Clearly that defence needs a lot of work between now and the 31st July.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Just watched the highlights, mainly to check if the 3rd and 4th Dunfermline goals were legit.  Fair play to the officials, both calls were correct.  Never been a fan of Conner Murray but thought he played well yesterday, hopefully this will be a big season for him.

Clearly that defence needs a lot of work between now and the 31st July.  

Thought Murray looked the only Jags player on the park fresh and fully match  fit yesterday .Foster tried to be foil for him on then right but kept stopping short when in mattered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Didn't go to the game as I'll save my powder to the 31st July. To even attempt to judge a thistle team at this stage is a) futile b ) pointless or c) insanity.

Agree. Undoubtedly there was problems with our defending, but I think we have had problems with training due to covid issues, this is of course not just been a problem for Thistle, this has effected a number of teams, with some having to forfeit their game. I also think we seen just how much we missed Brownlie. If it does turn out it is a long term injury whoever replaces him is going to have a very important part to play. I never want to see us lose a game, but I would prefer us to get the issues we have sorted out now and hopefully make a good start to the league. The league results is what I will judge McCall on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A semi interesting look at how our league competitors got on yesterday. ICT & Morton didn't play for different reasons but games involving the six remaining clubs resulted in FIVE clean sheets, with only Queens conceding in a 0-1 defeat. None of the six scored freely, which is encouraging, but on albeit very limited data it doesn't appear that those clubs have defensive worries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

A semi interesting look at how our league competitors got on yesterday. ICT & Morton didn't play for different reasons but games involving the six remaining clubs resulted in FIVE clean sheets, with only Queens conceding in a 0-1 defeat. None of the six scored freely, which is encouraging, but on albeit very limited data it doesn't appear that those clubs have defensive worries. 

Although all the others played teams from Lower leagues. I guess Ayr & Queens could be more worried than us at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The common theme from managers seems to be they are still looking to add 3-4 players to their squads so by the time the season starts teams that played yesterday could look quite different and that is not taking in to consideration players returning from injuries/COVID related absences.

Unfortunately the way the season is structured now means the group stages of the League Cup are, either intentionally or otherwise, an extension of pre-season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

The common theme from managers seems to be they are still looking to add 3-4 players to their squads so by the time the season starts teams that played yesterday could look quite different and that is not taking in to consideration players returning from injuries/COVID related absences.

Unfortunately the way the season is structured now means the group stages of the League Cup are, either intentionally or otherwise, an extension of pre-season.

I suppose it is kind of like the Nations league. Better to have competitive friendlies maybe ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×