Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Jaggernaut

vs Killie

Recommended Posts

We should have won. A dreadful decision for the pen. Good goal from Docherty with a special mention for Mayo who brung the ball forward from defence to create the chance. Rudden had a very good first half but did next to nothing in the second half apart from the petulant barge on their keeper. The keeper made the most of it but it was imo stupid and pointless from Rudden. Good to see us keep going and not cave in after they scored. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Rudden but I don't get the mass hysteria caused by the BBC tonight and all the stuff in the press about scouts looking at him, he was pretty much anonymous tonight  as he is most weeks unless he scores. If you were Neilson or Alexander or Courts or Maloney etc would you think 'ooft we need to sign this boy' ? no chance. Good luck to him if he goes but I don't think he's anywhere near Premier league level, Why are no teams scouting Mckenna, Shaw, Graham, Zanatta or Adeloye who have scored the same or more goals than him? Dunno if the McCall talk was trying to gee him up or put pressure on him, but I always think Rudden plays better with Graham up next to him feeding off his scraps and flick ons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Killie went into the usual McInnes mode. 1 up and shut up shop. 

That’s exactly why I do not understand why there is all this talk about McInnes being a major upgrade on Wright. 2 similar managers with similar styles and similar records.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

Did you watch the game tonight? That's why.

I did watch the game tonight. Scroll up and look at my earlier post!

My one criticism of our performance was that we still don't get the ball forward quickly enough and that is not just down to Bannigan  but a team issue.  Kilmarnock did move the ball forward quickly and as a result were able to play in space in front of our back four. Fortunately for us they failed to exploit this.

By comparison by the time we got the ball up to the 'final third' the area was congested and our players had little space in which to play. We need to get the ball forward, on the ground, quicker!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

We should have won. A dreadful decision for the pen. Good goal from Docherty with a special mention for Mayo who brung the ball forward from defence to create the chance. Rudden had a very good first half but did next to nothing in the second half apart from the petulant barge on their keeper. The keeper made the most of it but it was imo stupid and pointless from Rudden. Good to see us keep going and not cave in after they scored. 

It is perhaps a good thing you were not in your normal place in the front row guarding the entrance to the first vomitory in the John Lambie Stand. The penalty incident was right under where your nose would have been, and you might have been arrested for assault for throwing your balaclava at the referee in an aggressive manner.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, watties wallies said:

good performance from the jags

never a penalty

all these so called managers watching rudden tonight ?

 I thought tiffoney was a stand out

kilmarnock i thought were pretty average, expected more from them

all to play for

still feel that mccall is playing the long game

playoffs this season but really pushing for promotion next season

equaliser from the doc   ya dancer 

onwards and upwards 

:thumbsup2:

 

 

Great dribbler though he is, Tiffoney frustrated me by wanting to get past the defender(s) one last time, rather than get the cross in earlier. Those efforts to get right on to the bye line each time basically failed (sure, they work sometimes, but it wasn't happening here): either the cross found nobody, got easily cleared, or he crowded himself out too near to the line.

Bannigan and Docherty were excellent, especially SB with some beautiful passes, and he looked sharp. Screamer of a goal from the Doc. I also thought Graham looked up for it when he came on, and think that if we'd had another 20 min he might have nicked a goal.

I wonder what the referee supervisor will say to that clown..... probably no more than "You've got to be certain; well done."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I did watch the game tonight. Scroll up and look at my earlier post!

My one criticism of our performance was that we still don't get the ball forward quickly enough and that is not just down to Bannigan  but a team issue.  Kilmarnock did move the ball forward quickly and as a result were able to play in space in front of our back four. Fortunately for us they failed to exploit this.

By comparison by the time we got the ball up to the 'final third' the area was congested and our players had little space in which to play. We need to get the ball forward, on the ground, quicker!

 

Agreed.

As in the days of SOD and ATS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I did watch the game tonight. Scroll up and look at my earlier post!

My one criticism of our performance was that we still don't get the ball forward quickly enough and that is not just down to Bannigan  but a team issue.  Kilmarnock did move the ball forward quickly and as a result were able to play in space in front of our back four. Fortunately for us they failed to exploit this.

By comparison by the time we got the ball up to the 'final third' the area was congested and our players had little space in which to play. We need to get the ball forward, on the ground, quicker!

 

I don't disagree.

However, it's interesting that our goal came from Mayo making a direct run from defence, and no defender coming to block his run early.

That created the space for Docherty to have a dig even although Foster was open outside him due to defenders coming inside to cover Mayo's run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ref couldn't give the penalty quick enough, yet he was at least 20-30 yards behind play and was the wrong side of Foster's arm so did the assistant tell him it was handball I wonder? Also he was very close to the handball incident by the Killie defender in the first half and gave nothing. Very strange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We completely outplayed Killie and would have won but for the incompetence of the ref.  It was an extraordinary decision.  He doesn’t know the laws of the game.  McCall was amazingly restrained.

The performance should give us confidence that we can beat the top teams as we were a class above our opponents and McInnes admitted it.

Creating chances still appears a problem though. I think Lawless (instead of Smith) could perhaps have opened the defence. Heyho!

I love Tiff. What a fantastic footballer! But he needs to improve his delivery from the byeline and also the timing of his pass. We’d have a world beater if he could improve these aspects.

Ive never been a fan of McIver but he’s great in the air and brings others into play. He’s also quick. We’d need to change our style of play but perhaps he’s due a start. We’d need to hope that chances fall to someone else.

Great to see Stuart back to his best! He seems to have regained his pre-injury confidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have probably been Bannigan's biggest critic on here, but last night he seemed to being back to the player he was pre injury. The way he sprayed balls all over the park was great to see. And ( I don't know the stats) , but I don't think any of his passes, deliveries missed a Thistle jersey. Great to see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

I don't disagree.

However, it's interesting that our goal came from Mayo making a direct run from defence, and no defender coming to block his run early.

That created the space for Docherty to have a dig even although Foster was open outside him due to defenders coming inside to cover Mayo's run.

Agreed.

Confirms my point though. That direct run was probably one of our quickest forward movements  all night. The others were fron brilliant long diagonal cross field passes from Bannigan which led to opportunities where we should have done better.

I was amazed not one Killie player challenged Mayo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I have probably been Bannigan's biggest critic on here, but last night he seemed to being back to the player he was pre injury. The way he sprayed balls all over the park was great to see. And ( I don't know the stats) , but I don't think any of his passes, deliveries missed a Thistle jersey. Great to see.

Agreed. It was great to see.

He was different class last night and to think I suggested he should have started on the bench!

As his second biggest critic if he can keep this up I will no doubt become his second biggest fan - you beingvthe first!

I would like to see a midfield of Turner/Bannigan/Docherty and the 3 of them cab roam all over the field as long as we have all of the areas covered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, exiledjag said:

Agreed. It was great to see.

He was different class last night and to think I suggested he should have started on the bench!

As his second biggest critic if he can keep this up I will no doubt become his second biggest fan - you beingvthe first!

I would like to see a midfield of Turner/Bannigan/Docherty and the 3 of them cab roam all over the field as long as we have all of the areas covered.

My ideal Thistle midfield. This, for me would be the best midfield in the division. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working last night so missed the game.Sounds like we were hard done by but them’s the breaks…we’ll play worse and win .Looking forward to getting back to Firhill next week and ragdolling the “wee Sevco “ mark IV in the cup.

Edited by Anniesland Jag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

However, it's interesting that our goal came from Mayo making a direct run from defence, and no defender coming to block his run early.

That created the space for Docherty to have a dig even although Foster was open outside him due to defenders coming inside to cover Mayo's run.

I think it was less than a minute before his assist, Mayo had the opportunity to do similar but checked his run about the half way line and played a short pass. I don't know of course whether that made him change his mind moments later and storm forward instead. Whatever I'm glad he did. We're not usually good at breaking down a side that's lying deep protecting a lead or a draw. Both Lewis and Tunji are pacy for centrebacks and relatively decent with the ball at their feet. Like to see them do this more often.

 

eta Re the penalty. I thought refs were supposed to err on the side of caution and give the defending side the benefit of the doubt. As usual the linesman didn't see it, was not consulted or was just plain disinterested.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought the midfield 3 of Docherty, Crawford and Bannigan was excellent for the first 45.

Bannigans cross field passes caught the eye but they were only possible because of the movment in midfield of the other 2. Kilmarnock didn't know which of the midfielders was the sitting midfielder, which was the playmaker or which one was supporting the attack they all revolved really well. It was noticeable that when Crawford tired the midfield started to be more of an even contest.

Holt and Tiffoney in the first half gave Hodson a torrid first half. Once Hodson got close to Tiffoney to stop him running at him, Tiffoney pulled him higher up the park to allow space for Holt to run into. Second half wasn't as effective due to the state of the pitch on the wing that Tiffoney had to operate in. I did wonder if it would have made sense to switch Tiffoney over to the right to make use of the better playing surface.

At the back we did look like we had a mistake in us. Whilst Akinola was good at attacking the ball his interception and passing was a bit clumsy and to a Kilmarnock player on too many occassions. Akinola has been getting a lot of good reviews and rightly so but to my mind Mayo has been every bit as good if not better. It'll be hard for Brownlie to get back in team if those 2 are still around.

If the playing surface was better I would be pretty confident that we would win most of our remaing games at Firhill as I think our midfield with the addition of Crafword is probably the best in the league.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else getting p***ed off with the media's fawning over Derek McInnes?

Last night's game showed Kilmarnock as being no better than any of the other top 5 sides in the championship. If it hadn't been for an incompetent ref they would have been nowhere near going "top of the division" but the way they are talked up, their return to the top flight is all but guaranteed in the minds of certain pundits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scotty said:

Anyone else getting p***ed off with the media's fawning over Derek McInnes?

Last night's game showed Kilmarnock as being no better than any of the other top 5 sides in the championship. If it hadn't been for an incompetent ref they would have been nowhere near going "top of the division" but the way they are talked up, their return to the top flight is all but guaranteed in the minds of certain pundits.

Ah but! McInnes is an ex Ger, don't you know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jags on tour said:

I love Rudden but I don't get the mass hysteria caused by the BBC tonight and all the stuff in the press about scouts looking at him, he was pretty much anonymous tonight  as he is most weeks unless he scores. If you were Neilson or Alexander or Courts or Maloney etc would you think 'ooft we need to sign this boy' ? no chance. Good luck to him if he goes but I don't think he's anywhere near Premier league level, Why are no teams scouting Mckenna, Shaw, Graham, Zanatta or Adeloye who have scored the same or more goals than him? Dunno if the McCall talk was trying to gee him up or put pressure on him, but I always think Rudden plays better with Graham up next to him feeding off his scraps and flick ons.

Think that it’s a lot to do with who he used to play for: if there’s anyway at all to sneak a wee H*NS reference in they will!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Another win for Arbroath today.  Got to doff your cap to the Bunnet, they’re top on merit. Big game for us at Gayfield in two weeks time. 

Beating Raith hasn't done us any harm either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×