Today's results

scotty

As i have said in last nights match thread i don't see any team running away with this league.

Pre season i expected Dundee to win the league, Thistle and ICT vying for 2nd and 3rd and Morton 4th.

It all depends on how quickly we bounce back from last nights disappointment, but i think 3rd is the least we should be. 

Once again January window could decide a lot for some teams.

45 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Pretty sure the same was said of Arbroath. I think there will still be a fair few twists and turns in this league.

Once everyone, players, management team and fans realise that Thistle are the best team in the league, we should drift away from all the other dross.

The attitude against Caley was wrong from the start. We should have been getting it right up them before the sending off instead of being fearful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

Once everyone, players, management team and fans realise that Thistle are the best team in the league, we should drift away from all the other dross.

The attitude against Caley was wrong from the start. We should have been getting it right up them before the sending off instead of being fearful.

Did you think it was attitude? I thought we lacked energy, particularly in 1st half. I was a bit late sitting down to watch the game, but it was 20 mins before I realised Tiffoney was playing, Lawless was the one double marked, so didn’t have as much time. Also, the guy Mackay was giving MacMillan a tough time, so he wasn’t getting forward as much. 

43 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

First half they just looked bigger, stronger and outmuscled us. We hardly won a 50-50 and we had no time before someone was in our face. 

Agree. Maybe we were trying to emulate how we played against them at Firhill. That day we looked to deliberately not challenge for 50-50s  instead getting goalside and winning second balls. Worked then to good effect but from what I could make out on TV it looked a weakness on Friday night. 

On the positive side we were only narrowly beaten with a man short. Feel we've got a settled and competent enough back four. Would dearly love an Osman like defensive mid for further protection but if we continue to have a decent scoring we may well get away without such a player.   

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Did you think it was attitude? I thought we lacked energy, particularly in 1st half. I was a bit late sitting down to watch the game, but it was 20 mins before I realised Tiffoney was playing, Lawless was the one double marked, so didn’t have as much time. Also, the guy Mackay was giving MacMillan a tough time, so he wasn’t getting forward as much. 

The guy commentating on the game could not believe that  we were not getting the ball out to Tiffoney more..........Got to get back to winning ways on  Saturday v Accies.........

Looking at the table after 9 games last season we were 4th with 15 points so being 1st with 17 points is an improvement. Strangely when the perception is we are a good attacking side but no so much in defence we actually have scored 2 goals fewer but conceded 2 less this season.

Our next 2 league games are against teams who both lost 5-0 this weekend. However both Ayr and Queen's supporters agree that the difference between the sides was Ayr being more clinical and on another day Queens would have scored a few as well. However Morton and Accies supporters both agree that Accies were just very poor.

4 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Looking at the table after 9 games last season we were 4th with 15 points so being 1st with 17 points is an improvement. Strangely when the perception is we are a good attacking side but no so much in defence we actually have scored 2 goals fewer but conceded 2 less this season.

Our next 2 league games are against teams who both lost 5-0 this weekend. However both Ayr and Queen's supporters agree that the difference between the sides was Ayr being more clinical and on another day Queens would have scored a few as well. However Morton and Accies supporters both agree that Accies were just very poor.

The Hamilton game is a very dangerous one. Most will expect us to win. Just look at Morton since we beat them last week, 2 victories and 7 goals scored against 1 conceded. Ross County lost 5 against Motherwell and won 1-0 yesterday.

The players need to be warned to have the correct attitude, we will need to earn the win. Do that and we should win, go in with the attitude we just need to step on the plastic to win we will lose.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

The Hamilton game is a very dangerous one. Most will expect us to win. Just look at Morton since we beat them last week, 2 victories and 7 goals scored against 1 conceded. Ross County lost 5 against Motherwell and won 1-0 yesterday.

The players need to be warned to have the correct attitude, we will need to earn the win. Do that and we should win, go in with the attitude we just need to step on the plastic to win we will lose.

That surface is a great leveller (levelling down rather than levelling up). The 6-1 hammering is a total outlier as compared to most of our performances and results at Hamilton.

15 hours ago, partickthedog said:

That surface is a great leveller (levelling down rather than levelling up). The 6-1 hammering is a total outlier as compared to most of our performances and results at Hamilton.

A good point. Accies and QP both got trounced on grass.

Think tho' if we're going to challenging for the title we have to get results on artificial surfaces. My view is that grounds like NDP and Starks Pk are at least large surfaces and thus the effect of playing on plastic negated to a degree. Conversely playing away at tight parks like Stenny & Cove are more problematic especially in bad weather. Just as managers often tweak their line ups for an away match I reckon there's a case for bringing in certain players who are less affected playing on artificial surfaces. Probably in practice that means under 30s and/or those without any niggling injuries etc.  Dowds for Graham perhaps? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

A good point. Accies and QP both got trounced on grass.

Think tho' if we're going to challenging for the title we have to get results on artificial surfaces. My view is that grounds like NDP and Starks Pk are at least large surfaces and thus the effect of playing on plastic negated to a degree. Conversely playing away at tight parks like Stenny & Cove are more problematic especially in bad weather. Just as managers often tweak their line ups for an away match I reckon there's a case for bringing in certain players who are less affected playing on artificial surfaces. Probably in practice that means under 30s and/or those without any niggling injuries etc.  Dowds for Graham perhaps? 

I don't think the over 30 thing would fly. Muirhead, Lawless  and Bannigan all over 30....Holt 30 in January. Reality it we play our best team. That said Dowds probably due a start.