Keeping The Manager - A Positive Reason

Fawlty Towers

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Earlier this season I started a "Should the manager be sacked" thread. I am coming at it from a different angle tonight - make a positive case for keeping him. We can't afford to get rid of him is not a positive reason.

If McCall stays I'm positive we'll regret it. That do?

Before deciding on this let’s have some suggestions of who would do a better job . Interestingly on this forum some of the the favourites I’ve heard in the past was Danny Lennon , Jim Goodwin and others who have been failures. Beware as we could end up with someone who would be really bad

Edited by dibble

4 minutes ago, dibble said:

Before deciding on this let’s have some suggestions of who would do a better job . Interestingly on this forum some of the the favourites I’ve heard in the past was Danny Lennon , Jim Goodwin and others who have been failures. Beware as we could end up with someone who would be really bad

Not disagreeing but just about every experienced manager has been a failure at some club. If we plump for a current manager who hasn't been sacked elsewhere we'd be likely looking at a manager whose success has been at a part time club. Not against bringing in a manager from the lower leagues but such appointments carry a low success rate.

Apologies to FT as we're not coming up with positives.

36 minutes ago, dibble said:

Not sure I want someone with loads of experience and who are set in their ways .

The manager I would be looking for would be someone the Board could work with over a period of time working to some sort of structure whether that be youth development or getting a scouting system in place to source talent.

Someone who fits the bill would be Stephen Craigan who knows the game , worked at the Motherwell Academy and brought guys like Alan Campbell  through to the first team.

Don’t think this is going to be a quick fix but we’re going absolutely nowhere as a Club just now .

8 hours ago, dibble said:

Pretty much every manager fails. 

• Like 1

I think the following is a positive:

1. When we have a full squad of players available (including one or two injured or suspended) we tend to win or at least not lose.

2. When we have 5/6/7 players injured, unwell and or suspended we lose, except if playing Queens Park then we lose regardless.

Conclusion - when most players are available the managers gets results so he seems to know what he is doing.

All our bad results or poor runs coincide with an excessive number of injuries etc. Just like ICT.

Unlucky?

We can't blame the manager when we have the number of injuries we have had and he can't field the team he wants to field.

Please don't argue its up to him to manage the situation. That's not  a realistic argument when 30 - 35% of the first team squad are not available for selection and we are playing players carrying injuries and can't put out a decent bench.

Losing games the way we are doing with a full squad and I would agree he has to go. I don't agree at the moment for reason given.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Please don't argue its up to him to manage the situation. That's not  a realistic argument when 30 - 35% of the first team squad are not available for selection and we are playing players carrying injuries and can't put out a decent bench.

That is exactly the job of a football manager. If your squad is picking up lots of injuries it’s either or both because you’ve signed a bunch of injury prone players and/or you’ve not put in place proper conditioning and injury prevention strategies.

Injuries aren’t (for the most part) a case of good or bad luck. It tells you a lot about what is being prioritised behind the scenes. Good managers mitigate and plan for absences and build a squad designed to minimise them in the first place.

10 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

That is exactly the job of a football manager. If your squad is picking up lots of injuries it’s either or both because you’ve signed a bunch of injury prone players and/or you’ve not put in place proper conditioning and injury prevention strategies.

Injuries aren’t (for the most part) a case of good or bad luck. It tells you a lot about what is being prioritised behind the scenes. Good managers mitigate and plan for absences and build a squad designed to minimise them in the first place.

I wonder how Ferguson would have coped7 with Keane, Beckam, Scholes, Schmichal, the Neville brothers and Bruce all out at the same time.

I agree with your latter point about planning to minimise the impact of injuries the problem we have had is the sheer scale of the injury situation.

There is clear evidence that IMC has done that since his first day in the job by focusing his signings players who can cover more than one position 

As far as I can see there is a huge element of luck in whether injuries happen in the first place and the extent to which they are serious - watch the highlights of the Hearts v Dundee Utd and the sending off of the United player.

As far as I am concerned IMC stays.!

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I think the following is a positive:

1. When we have a full squad of players available (including one or two injured or suspended) we tend to win or at least not lose.

2. When we have 5/6/7 players injured, unwell and or suspended we lose, except if playing Queens Park then we lose regardless.

Conclusion - when most players are available the managers gets results so he seems to know what he is doing.

All our bad results or poor runs coincide with an excessive number of injuries etc. Just like ICT.

Unlucky?

We can't blame the manager when we have the number of injuries we have had and he can't field the team he wants to field.

Losing games the way we are doing with a full squad and I would agree he has to go. I don't agree at the moment for reason given.

I am sure every manager would like to have all their players fit and on form for the whole season but that just does not happen and it is how you deal with that which will determine how successful or otherwise you are.

• Like 1

If McCall and his assistants walk away now, they can hold their heads up as having carried out a fairly good job. He’ll be respected and will pick up another position. He took over a shambles from Caldwell remember.

He can’t take us any further and should therefore go now without waiting to be sacked and effectively stealing a year’s salary.

A few months ago firing McCall could have made sense as a new manager such as Neil Lennon could have arguably got better results with the squad we have and might still have kept us challenging for the title.

Now our targets have moved partly due to injuries and results, partly due to the finances then what we need from a manger changes. I suspect this summer will see an exodus of players and unfortunately its mainly the good ones that will be going and that again changes what we need from a manager.

So now we need a manager that will this season keep us in the top 4 and recruit a new squad on less budget that will still be expected to be in the top 4. 

If you stand back and look for managers that have cv of recruiting squads and making the championship playoffs then it would be difficult to find someone with a better cv than McCall. It would be too much to ask of  novice manager in summer to take over and bring in a new squad so we would be looking at a very small group of managers. Of those available maybe only Jack Ross has done that and he only did it once at St Mirren a while ago and he would probably want more than we can offer.

However we can't go through another period of mutiple consecutive losses so McCall needs to get points on the board this month otherwise he has to go. With 3 away league games back to back at places we would normally struggle to get points at its difficult to see how he stops the rot.

Assuming he is on a 1 year rolling contract and even if he does get back on track and get us to the playoffs we should serve notice on his contract in the Summer. If he does well we can always extend, if not it lessens the cost of making a change. If he does a reasonable job of revamping the squad it makes a more easier handoff to an inexperienced coach like Graham or Doolan.

A nice idea, but ….

If we serve notice of termination in the summer, what is McCall’s motivation for the rest of the season.  He might as well down tools and put his feet up. An then there is the out of contract players and recruitment for next season. Who is going to sign when they don’t know who the manager is going to be.

Trying to do anything fancy is just going to create a period of uncertainty. Whenever it happens, it is going to have to be a clean break. For me that needs to be sooner rather than later to give the new man a chance to show what he can do and attract the players he wants to keep to sign on again as well as a head start on getting new players in

2 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

If McCall and his assistants walk away now, they can hold their heads up as having carried out a fairly good job. He’ll be respected and will pick up another position. He took over a shambles from Caldwell remember.

He can’t take us any further and should therefore go now without waiting to be sacked and effectively stealing a year’s salary.

Don’t about the other 2 but Archibald ensured he got his full payment last time as he was entitled to do.  Can’t see him walking away for free this time either and not sure the other 2 would either