Home and Away part 3

Auld Jag

7 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

No matter what happens in the final, Doolan has turned this squad into the team they should have been all season. We should have won automatic promotion. 

Totally agree. Bringing in Dools as manager has been the right decision. 

• Like 1

Doolan speaks differently from just about any other managers I've heard. He's not afraid to say that his team are really good, to pick out the attributes of his players, to challenge other teams by saying, this is a statement and we'll get better. 

He might fall on his face, but it's working so far. And to be honest, it's brave of him, but I can see how it would work well with the players.

Just to echo the praise for Doolan. He talks so positively but it's obvious he backs it up with hard work away from the cameras. He clearly has the senior players in the squad fully onside too.

It feels so much like the 2013 season all over again. I would be hard pushed to say which team I prefer and great there's 3 guys (Doolan, Bannigan and Lawless) linking them.

1 minute ago, fenski said:

Just to echo the praise for Doolan. He talks so positively but it's obvious he backs it up with hard work away from the cameras. He clearly has the senior players in the squad fully onside too.

It feels so much like the 2013 season all over again. I would be hard pushed to say which team I prefer and great there's 3 guys (Doolan, Bannigan and Lawless) linking them.

And Muirhead.

• Like 1

A big well done to Kris Doolan, his staff and the players. Also the travelling support - what a performance by all involved.

A fantastic result.

One point though. I have watched the Akinyel/Muirhead incident 3 or 4 times now at both real time and slow speeds and I do not understand why the TV pundits are saying the red card was harsh.

To my eyes it looks like Akinyemi made a fully fledge  punch at  Muorhead the force of which forced Muirhead back on his heels for 3 or 4 paces. Akinyemi's action left the ref with no choice but to send him off. I saw no evidence of Muirhead play acting.

The initial clash was certainly a foul by Muirhead and possibly a yellow card but Akinyemi's  reaction was definitely violent conduct and fully merited the red card.

The BBC pundits clearly felt they were robbed of a football spectale and choose to blame Muirhead - this is unforgivable as Akinyemi is the culprit.

• Like 3

Many many congratulations and praise to Kris, his management team and - above all - to the players for giving the club the opportunity to be playing for a place in the top league this coming week.

Given Kris was appointed in mid February after successive 0-1 home defeats in the league to teams that were both ultimately relegated, what has been achieved in 17 games since then is remarkable and fully worthy of acknowledgement.

On the red card tonight, it was justified due to the violent reaction, but let's not begin to pretend that Aaron Muirhead was Mr Innocent in the incident. We all know what goes on in these scenarios.

• Like 1

Doolan deserves great credit for getting us this far. The team play at a higher tempo under his leadership, players back each other up, work extremely hard and we are attractive to watch into the bargain. Reminds me of a Davie McParland team. 

I’m sure our next opposition will be be tough and not have as leaky a defence as QP or Ayr. But we are a threat to them, goalscorers all over the park, we have confidence and the opposition will be on a bit of a downer with massive pressure on them. Doolan’s team positivity and belief may be the difference. 

I expect we really will sell out the JL stand this time! 

Another very professional performance under our new management team.

The fans gave great backing, but i really wish they would do what i did when the 70's ended and ditch the flares.

Home and away part 4, 'The final countdown' coming soon.

Don't want to put a damper on another great night for Thistle, but with so many out of contract at the end of this season, i wonder how many of our starting XI will still be with us next season, no matter what league we are in. 

6 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Another very professional performance under our new management team.

The fans gave great backing, but i really wish they would do what i did when the 70's ended and ditch the flares.

Home and away part 4, 'The final countdown' coming soon.

Don't want to put a damper on another great night for Thistle, but with so many out of contract at the end of this season, i wonder how many of our starting XI will still be with us next season, no matter what league we are in. 

If we are in the SPL I would think most of the out of contract players would be keen to stay with us excepting of course if they receive offers from current SPL clubs or clubs in England.

8 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

If we are in the SPL I would think most of the out of contract players would be keen to stay with us excepting of course if they receive offers from current SPL clubs or clubs in England.

Rumours of some already going But as i say just rumours.

3 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

We have suffered plenty due to the dark acts of our sides but still would rather see our players beat their opponents with skill (call me old fashioned).

I thought the reason Muirhead went down easily was that he was off balance (from grappling with Akinyemi). Perhaps Muirhead should have been booked. But Akinyemi flung a straight arm punch at him, that's a sending off in any game. Doesn't even matter if you hit your opponent - though he did.

I thought the commentating team were disgusting in their continual comments that it wasn't a red card. (I guess it came from disappointment that it killed the game off).  Replays showed clearly that it was a punch and it doesn't matter how much connection it made, even a fresh air punch is a sending off by the rules.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Had a reasonable view and thought the sending off was fully justified. Also thought Aero should've got a yellow for the tackle. Great atmosphere tonight.

Don't want to sound too triumphant but the number of goal chances we missed over the two legs must be in double figures. Get a bit more clinical next week and we've a great chance of promotion. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I think Hodson's a tad underrated and provides a steadying influence when he comes on. Can fill a few positions as well. With that in mind it might be better if we're playing County.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Doolan deserves great credit for getting us this far. The team play at a higher tempo under his leadership, players back each other up, work extremely hard and we are attractive to watch into the bargain. Reminds me of a Davie McParland team. 

One difference from McCall's team I think is the number of players we get into the box. Sometimes under McCall we played nice football and had a lot of pressure but often when the final ball came in there was only one guy there. Some pundits have suggested luck at some of our goals but when you have 4 or 5 guys charging into the penalty area you're going to have a good chance of taking advantage of any breaks.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Incredible performance again, 16 goals, 3 clean sheets and 8 different scorers! Would you have believed this 3 weeks ago after the Raith game?

Let’s hope we can keep it up for the next 2 games.

Dools & the players really are doing an incredible job. Fans are brilliant, apart from the flares. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Muirhead did receive a yellow for his part in the Akinyemi incident.

Did he? I never saw that. I did think he overreacted at the time, but Akinyemi was just stupid doing what he did as it did look like a punch or forearm.

The ref had a decent game (as he did in the away game at QP) but he missed a foul on one of our players in the build up to the incident or it might not have happened

BTW, respect to Lee Bullen for his comments about us after both games

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaggy said:

Did he? I never saw that. I did think he overreacted at the time, but Akinyemi was just stupid doing what he did as it did look like a punch or forearm.

The ref had a decent game (as he did in the away game at QP) but he missed a foul on one of our players in the build up to the incident or it might not have happened

BTW, respect to Lee Bullen for his comments about us after both games

I can back up Barney. I was at the game and definitely saw the yellow card being shown to Muirhead. In the JagZone interview Doolan explained that Muirhead had been substituted to avoid any possibility of a second booking and consequent red card.

• Like 1

Was a red card without doubt except to the disappointed BBC, and Muirhead was shown a yellow for the same incident but not mentioned by the BBC.  There were several other Ayr fouls well off the ball early in the game that went unpunished.

Great performance all round, including that of the subs.  Nothing to fear from the finals, especially if we get a bit more clinical with our finishing - can't see any of our possible opponents being as leaky in defence as Ayr or QP.