Home and away part 4, the final countdown

Auld Jag

So far the home an away threads have seen Thistle win 5 games and draw 1.

We have now reached the final 2 games of the season and it is Thistle against Ross County over 2 games to decide who will be in the Premier league and who will be in the Championship next season. Since the playoffs in particular Thistle have been in great scoring form and after losing 3 goals at home to Queens Park we have kept 3 clean sheets.

Since i did not go to the game at Ibrox this will be the first game that i have attended that has VAR, so after 60 years or so of following Thistle a new experience for me. I hope our players are reminded that VAR is in operation and that things that would normally go unpunished will be scrutinised and could end up costing us the game.

Looking forward to another big crowd, hopefully with no flares or any pyrotechnics.

I think we will need a lead to take up to Dingwall, preferably by more than 1 goal.

C'mon the Jags, just another 2 games and we could be playing Premier league football next season.

26 minutes ago, scotty said:

Good to see this:

The club are also in the final stages of planning a screening event at Firhill this Sunday for any Thistle fan who can’t make the trip to Dingwall, but who would like to watch the game amongst fellow supporters.

5 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

For me.  Play the same team again even if Banzo is back from injury.  We are on a roll.

Agree. We are on a very good run and playing with confidence. Go at them from the first minute. As i said in the opening post imo we need to take a lead to Dingwall, the bigger the better.

Jackie Husband Stand Concession Ticket going free

For reasons too complicated to explain, although I am going to my usual place in the John Lambie Stand on Thursday, I have ended up in possession of a surplus concession ticket for the Jackie Husband Stand.

I am happy to make this available free of charge to anyone on the Forum who would like it for themselves or for a guest. Obviously I am keen to maximise the Thistle support and would not want this seat to remain unoccupied (I should say that of course the seating is unallocated, so you can still join up with other companions).

Please PM me if you would like this and we can arrange a rendezvous on Thursday. 

Ross are going to be a very different prospect. For most of the season they have been on the backfoot and therefore have been defending for most of it. The defence and keeper (who can't be as bad as Ferrie or Albinson) will be well used to being under pressure and defending in numbers. Getting the first goal is going to be absolutely crucial as if they get it, they will try to shut up shop. If we can get that first goal, they will have to try to attack and that would bring our pace on the counter into play

2 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Some photos of training on twitter, Banzo in one of them. If everybody is fit imo we should start with the starting XI we have started with in the last 3 matches. If required bring Banzo off the bench, later in the game.

Thinking the same AJ.

The team have been brilliant, so can't really change anyone.

Banzo could be needed for the second leg.

I’m probably the only one here, but I am hoping for a better game on Thursday than the one we got at Ayr. I didn’t enjoy it as from the kickoff we had such a lead that a defeat would be embarrassing. After the red card and 2nd goal it was all over and there was no jeopardy, no jangling nerves waiting for the whistle. For me you need a bit of that for it to be a good game.

Clean slate tomorrow and I doubt that Ross will capitulate as easily.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I’m probably the only one here, but I am hoping for a better game on Thursday than the one we got at Ayr. I didn’t enjoy it as from the kickoff we had such a lead that a defeat would be embarrassing. After the red card and 2nd goal it was all over and there was no jeopardy, no jangling nerves waiting for the whistle. For me you need a bit of that for it to be a good game.

Clean slate tomorrow and I doubt that Ross will capitulate as easily.

I personally would be more than happy for a repeat of Ayr games.  My nerves could do with a rest being a Jags fan all these years and given my fingernails are already been bitten down I do not want to be in stand tomorrow trying to reach my toenails.

Same 11 as last Ayr games, into em from the start with high tempo, on the deck passing and keep it simple at back.  2-0 Jags :fan:

• Like 3

Ross probably on paper favourites due to Premier league status and experience.However,momentum surely with us going by recent free scoring results and feel good factor under Dools. Ross  also have injury issues and another energy sapping journey South in under a week ahead of them which won’t help.We really need to get the win and a clean sheet tomorrow but have to be tighter in midfield and central defence .

I go along with what seems to be the consensus opinion about not changing the starting eleven. The game's at home, it's a winning formula and our attacking players are all on form. Unless we're chasing the game I think tho' we'll at sometime require to revert to a more containing formation by shoring up midfield. Bannigan and/or Hodson being brought on to do just that. Also got to mind that there's not much recovery time before the 2nd leg. As way of example we've all seen the difference in a fit Tiffoney as opposed to when he's perhaps only 80% fit. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

2 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Ross probably on paper favourites due to Premier league status and experience. However, momentum surely with us going by recent free scoring results and feel good factor under Dools. Ross  also have injury issues and another energy sapping journey South in under a week ahead of them which won’t help.We really need to get the win and a clean sheet tomorrow but have to be tighter in midfield and central defence .

Mackay trying to talk us up as favourites and playing mind games:   "They're on form, they've come through the play-offs and they're flying. If they want to take the favourites position for the game, that's fine. Ross County are used to being underdogs. If we're the underdogs, that's fine.

'If we're the underdogs, that's fine' - Mackay - BBC Sport

Regardless of their form and ours, only one manager is at risk of losing his job by Monday morning. 

10 hours ago, elevenone said:

I personally would be more than happy for a repeat of Ayr games.  My nerves could do with a rest being a Jags fan all these years and given my fingernails are already been bitten down I do not want to be in stand tomorrow trying to reach my toenails.

Same 11 as last Ayr games, into em from the start with high tempo, on the deck passing and keep it simple at back.  2-0 Jags :fan:

Agree. We have not been doing it the 'Thistle way' recently, and i am more than happy with it. If we continue playing in the manner we have done in the last 3 games in particular, it will take 2 very good performances from Ross County to win the tie. I am not saying we are favourites btw.

I know we have sold out the John Lambie Stand but it would be great if the JHS was also sold out or close to it. The fans have been great this season and in the playoffs in particular, flairs excluded. So let's get right behind the team for one last time at Firhill this season. C'mon the Jags. :fan: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I know we have sold out the John Lambie Stand but it would be great if the JHS was also sold out or close to it. :fan: 

On that note, any updates on how many tickets have been sold. It would be good to know how early I need to get there to get a parking space not too far away.

After defeats to Cove and Hamilton in January and February who would have thought we would be 2 games away from promotion? The football Thistle have played over the last few games has been a real pleasure to watch.

Since Bannigan's injury we have played a formation and style that is in part a throwback to the days of 2 up front with 2 proper wingers and part  a new tactical innovation with an overlapping and underlapping right fullback supported by the remaining defenders playing as a back 3 when we are attacking. Doolan and McDonald have shown more fluidity in formation and tactics than any Thistle management team I can remember and I've been watching for over 40 years.

A few weeks ago we would have thought we would need a new team if we got promoted. The current performances are showing that we potentially have a team that will only need 3 or 4 first choice additions to compete in the premier (although we may well have to add more numbers to provide cover).

Whatever happens against County I've enjoyed what we have done so far. I hope this team and manager get promoted as they have real potential to do something special if they stick together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

No. Only thing i have seen is about the John Lambie stand being sold out. Not sure how many away fans will be at Firhill. Probably 500 or so at the most.

Sorry AJ. I was only using your post as a reference. It was meant as a question to anybody that might know.