Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

2 hours ago, stolenscone said:

This feels like a positive outcome for the football club in the long run.

Gerry will always be the King of Spain, but I agree with your conclusion. The last vestiges of the dark empire have been swept away. 

7 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Legally I believe we need a CEO. It is often the chairman that takes the role in a small business 

Private limited companies do not formally need a CEO. Prior to Ian Maxwell being appointed CEO (he was previously employed as a General Manager) I don't believe Thistle ever had one.

A limited company does need to have at least one director, and will usually (though does not, as a matter of statute law, have to have) a company secretary. Those are different roles which can, but need not be, held coterminously with a role of CEO.

Gerry had to walk a difficult line during the Low era as an employee of the Club ,however he helped drive us through a very difficult during covid,lockdown,relegation and the fallout of the Low era.He was also a great player for us and would hope he is afforded the respect and a friendly welcome he deserves at Firhill on any return .

Edited by Anniesland Jag
  • Like 3

It’s good for all concerned that Gerry is moving on. He will always be remembered as a great player for us.

his departure now creates a clean slate with the new board as we move very, very slowly towards fan ownership and a new future.

since we seem to appoint ex players as ceo/gm how about chic charnley ? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ChiThistle said:

Personally I think Kris Doolan will make a fantastic CEO when he is announced on Friday.

Hopefully it won’t interfere with his other responsibilities like running the team and working the pie stall at halftime.

Talking of Pie Stalls I understand Pie Sports have revamped all their stalls and are now looking the dog ‘s whatnots !.

15 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Does a fan owned club need different skills from its CEO, particularly or is it just coincidental circumstance that he was available?

I don't know the answer to that but the Club's gotta be congratulated over cost cutting. No needless costly adverts placed in the situations vacant columns. :)

Is it me or is this the thinnest squad we've ever had at this point of a preseason? Love all the OS updates but the lack of player news is doin ma head in. Doolan has 2 weeks to beef out the squad and I may skoosh some cash on a ST. Otherwise it's watching from the couch for me this season.

Lack of signings are to be excepted. 

With the club in financial difficulty, we could be saving a hefty fee by not signing players too early and paying them over June, July, and August. Obviously that means we are likely to miss out on high value targets, but I don't think we were expecting to aquire household names this pre-season anyway. I wouldn't be getting worried just yet. 

Indeed, if that is the strategy, I doubt the board held out too much hope for the League Cup. But a win on Saturday and I think we can safely say we've over achieved given the size of the squad. 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

16 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

Is it me or is this the thinnest squad we've ever had at this point of a preseason? Love all the OS updates but the lack of player news is doin ma head in. Doolan has 2 weeks to beef out the squad and I may skoosh some cash on a ST. Otherwise it's watching from the couch for me this season.

Gotta say I see it differently. It's only a few weeks gone since many of us were thinking we'd be lucky to assemble anything close to a competitive squad. Admittedly threadbare but thought was the squad would be padded out with even more youngsters (our own and loanees). That may still be the case but the very fact it hasn't happened hints we may be able to secure more established players. 

Surely the current situation is considerably rosier than it looked like it would be six or so weeks ago?

1 hour ago, The Legend Blows said:

Time will tell. I know Doolan needs ST money to get players in. The fact that people like me are holding off and complaining hasn't escaped me either. Still, I'll hold off and see what kind of squad he's rustled together a couple of days before RR at Firhill and decide then.

Mate he can't assemble a good squad without our ££££

1 hour ago, The Legend Blows said:

Time will tell. I know Doolan needs ST money to get players in. The fact that people like me are holding off and complaining hasn't escaped me either. Still, I'll hold off and see what kind of squad he's rustled together a couple of days before RR at Firhill and decide then.

It’s a kind of catch 22. ST money helps Doolan get a better squad.