Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

If we have less of a budget do players from down south not cost more?  Presumably we have to help them with accommodation costs 

Hopefully Doolans signings from English leagues are better than Archie’s where he was an agent’s dream taking anyone and we ended up with woeful signings with guys like McGinty, eccleston etc

... and some like Osman, Dumbuya and Barton, who were all excellent (at least for a while!).

14 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I think we have to remember what kind of matket we are in. 

We have less of a budget than last season and we can't just swoop and sign who we fancy. It will be a mixed season. Plenty of ups and downs and frustration. Survival in this division is paramount. Top 4 a bonus 

27 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

... and some like Osman, Dumbuya and Barton, who were all excellent (at least for a while!).

Osman had played in Scottish football before he joined us so was used to the game.  He was excellent but had experience of the game up here

The Dumbaya thing is a complete myth - people completely fail for it he was terrific for 3 months- got injured and for the remaining 2 and 3 quarters years was injured.  3 months out of 3 years is not good value for money.  Worse his injury wasn’t even from football but from larking about with his mates on nights out

Barton was very good for his first year.  The second year his attitude was stinking despite picking up a good wage

Edited by Third Lanark

After today's 2 signings I can't see anyone coming in without someone leaving. First team squad looks ok but I'm not convinced we have a leader in midfield.

On paper our back 4 has more depth but I fear it won't get the chance to gel because we don't have someone in midfield able to protect them.

I would assume at least a couple from McCready, Stanway, Lyon and Stevenson will head out on loan. Can't see Dowds be around for too long.

That might free up a wage to bring someone else in.  With the amount of midfielders we have it seems daft to say I think we need another one but I think we need another one. Morton just signed Alan Power who should have been someone we should have looked at.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Well that's about it for cover. I know McMillan can cover centreback but at a guess if we were to add any more to the squad it'll be a left sided centreback.  

Kieran should be a really good signing - plenty of championship experience and very highly rated as a young player at Aberdeen 

14 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

I think we have a very decent squad considering the fear after Dingwall. 
Happy with what’s been achieved, we have competition for places - something we lacked over recent seasons. 

The jury is very much out.

Nothing to suggest Robinson is an upgrade on Turner. Nothing to suggest McDonald is an upgrade on Tiffoney.  In fact it could be argued they are downgrades.

Williams possibly better than Brownlie but still looks he has got a lot of mistakes in him.  Neilson for Holt we can wait and see I suppose. Holt was great for us, Neilson is highly regarded.

34 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Nothing to suggest Robinson is an upgrade on Turner. Nothing to suggest McDonald is an upgrade on Tiffoney.  In fact it could be argued they are downgrades.

Williams possibly better than Brownlie but still looks he has got a lot of mistakes in him.  Neilson for Holt we can wait and see I suppose. Holt was great for us, Neilson is highly regarded.

With a smaller budget this season it may be some or all of them are downgrades.

I agree with you on central defence. A bit raw.

24 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

But what jury? Nobody I've talked to thinks we'll have a starting team/squad near the quality of last season.  After all we're effectively paying for last season's overspend by having a reduction in player cost this season. I suppose tho' even having debateable like for like comparisons can be viewed as positive. A couple of months ago I'd have thought that highly unlikely.

12 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

But what jury? Nobody I've talked to thinks we'll have a starting team/squad near the quality of last season.  After all we're effectively paying for last season's overspend by having a reduction in player cost this season. I suppose tho' even having debateable like for like comparisons can be viewed as positive. A couple of months ago I'd have thought that highly unlikely.

Totally agree with this. Even if our spending is down what will matter is how the squad matches up against the rest of the league, not last year’s squad.

13 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Some very good additions to the squad so far, but what's clearly evident is that not one of the new recruits is a solid and reliable defensive midfielder.

That's a gaping hole that needs addressed as a matter of urgency.

Don't disagree, but do you think we will sign such a player? If we did (and we'd obviously play the guy) it would mean we'd have eight other central mids contesting a maximum of two positions. Like you I worry about the lack of dig in midfield but it would be some overload in that area. 

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I’d have preferred Brownlie to Williams. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Don't disagree, but do you think we will sign such a player? If we did (and we'd obviously play the guy) it would mean we'd have eight other central mids contesting a maximum of two positions. Like you I worry about the lack of dig in midfield but it would be some overload in that area. 

As things stand, we have Bannigan as a defensive midfielder. No one else, unless Muirhead is employed in there in an emergency.

Let's not beat about the bush here:

1) For all his qualities, Bannigan is never, ever a primary defensive holding midfielder, period.

2) Bannigan can very successfully play off a a primary defensive holding midfielder and be a good defensive midfielder - see Ross Docherty for evidence.

3) Bannigan will almost certainly get injured and/or suspended between now and Christmas, And if not before, for certain in the new year.

As far as I can see, there is no primary Defensive Central Midfielder in this squad and that is a major concern. Williamson certainly has qualities, but being able to read a game and be a hard ******* when required are not part of those.