Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

9 hours ago, MarciaBlaine said:

The kicker would be if Ayr finished above us thanks to his contributions, of course, but I don't see that happening (famous last words...)

The kicker would be if Tomi does not live up to expectations.  Last season he was a write off for him.  I think that is why he was loaned out.

If he does not get game time with Brian Graham playing all the time he will also struggle. 10-15 minute as a sub does not improve players.

That's great re Stanway. At the moment he's at absolute worst still worthy of a place on the bench. So hard to believe that he's not going to improve as he moves out his teens. In my mind even standing still this is a good piece of business. In reality I'm confident the lad will only get better and better. I rate him highly.

No idea but if Dowds going out on loan has financed this extension then I reckon it's money very well spent. Love to see youngsters commit to the Club.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Yes. He is under 23 and he was training with us for a couple of years. It won’t be much, but the training compensation is due

It might be more than I thought. Oxford Utd are a League One club, so would be category 3 when it comes to Training Compensation. That means it would be €10k for each year he was at the club from age 12 to 15 plus €30k per year for every year he was with us after age 15.

I think he was 17 when he left us. Any idea how old he was when he first joined TWA ?

Like most posters on this thread I had high hopes for Dowds as a Jags player and especially after his super subs performance.

However since Doolan became manager we have change our style of play. We now play a high intensity game where all of our players are attackers and when it's necessary all are defenders.

This style of play seems to demand players who are highly Mobile like Graham (who is just mobile enough) to Adeloye (who is extremely mobile). Dowds has never struck me as mobile.

In conclusion, perhaps our style of play is not suited to Dowd's attributes - waiting in the box for the ball to reach him!

9 hours ago, exiledjag said:

In conclusion, perhaps our style of play is not suited to Dowd's attributes - waiting in the box for the ball to reach him!

Not sure if the Ayr fans would agree with your assessment.  I think he just needed to play 90 min, rather than 15 min cameos.

No striker is going to get played ahead of Graham.

17 hours ago, exiledjag said:

First time I seen him he tore our defence to shreds while playing for Arbroath, he certainly wasn’t waiting in the box. He was fast & strong running at us from a wide position. I was hoping for more of the same when we signed him

Loans out to same division can come back to bite you. Especially in such small leagues where a team down the bottom beating one near the top is hardly newsworthy.

Think tho' Dowds going to Ayr is just so logical. Anton wouldn't want to go to a lower division. Last time down at Somerset Pk it was fairly obvious that Ayr needed a big fella to partner their lad upfront. And if he stayed at Firhill it would take two injuries, perhaps even three, for him to get a start.

I suppose it would be a real back biter if his goals help Ayr to finish above us in the league. We'd possibly have lost any savings from his move to prize money. A risk worth taking I feel. Have said before that Anton was too similar a player to Graham in style but not in quality. Maybe the potential is there and he was impressive for Arbroath. But we were never likely to find out if a place on the bench was the best the lad could hope for. 

On 10/12/2023 at 12:25 AM, erty13 said:

Not sure if the Ayr fans would agree with your assessment.  I think he just needed to play 90 min, rather than 15 min cameos.

No striker is going to get played ahead of Graham.

Lost his way after he got injured, was doing well before that .

Don’t think he was ever an impact sub and that was the issue.