Jags vs. Lichties, 23rd Sep

Jaggernaut

Well, to say the build-up to this one has been low-key would seem to be an understatement. 

Arbroath have got off to a pretty good start to the season, and although I'm spectacularly wrong on occasion, I expect this game to be tight. Earlier this week I was even thinking it might end in a a draw, but now I'm hoping and indeed anticipating that we'll have the power to overcome them with a few goals to spare.

There, probably jinxed!

Just a word on Arbroath's Ricky Little: I thought he was a pretty neat player when he was with us. Now 10 years at Arbroath, and soon to clock up his 200th game for them. Well done; must be a potential for their Hall of Fame.

20 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Well, to say the build-up to this one has been low-key would seem to be an understatement. 

Arbroath have got off to a pretty good start to the season, and although I'm spectacularly wrong on occasion, I expect this game to be tight. Earlier this week I was even thinking it might end in a a draw, but now I'm hoping and indeed anticipating that we'll have the power to overcome them with a few goals to spare.

There, probably jinxed!

Just a word on Arbroath's Ricky Little: I thought he was a pretty neat player when he was with us. Now 10 years at Arbroath, and soon to clock up his 200th game for them. Well done; must be a potential for their Hall of Fame.

Little’s missing for this one, I think, having been sent off last week. Still feel a bit nervous that someone will take advantage of our lightweight midfield. Arbroath are pretty strong there and are scoring pretty freely too. Think this will be a tough game. Not sure if I will make it as I am in Northumberland but might have to head to Newcastle before coming up the road. 

54 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

After a poor start Arbroath have won their last 3 league games, so won't be an easy game, but one we should be looking to take all 3 points from.

Apart from bringing Milne back in i would keep the starting line up the same as last week.

McMillan misses out. Mackenzie will probably deputise. There could be other options which might involve other players moving around, but Zander in seems simplest.

11 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

McMillan misses out. Mackenzie will probably deputise. There could be other options which might involve other players moving around, but Zander in seems simplest.

Agree. McMillan will be a loss as his partnership with Lawless is a very good attacking option. Let's hope we get a good home support.

Edited by Auld Jag

As I see it every game we go into we are likely to lose goals. The clean sheet last week was verging on the miraculous. Too much emphasis therefore on our front three to score at least a couple of goals just to get a result. The one player in midfield with a bit of dig about him, who can influence the game at either end of the park appears to be McInroy. If he could somehow contribute defensively, not something he's signed to do, then we may win tomorrow with a bit to spare. Otherwise I think timing of goals will be all important. 

16 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Well, they are certainly doing that. Queen's 1 Ayr 4 at half time.

Now 5-2 with Dowds getting the 5th

As I said on one of the other threads I hope we have the option to recall him in January

Edited by dpj

Did anyone see the QP/Ayr game on TV last night?

According to the BBC website the game was televised on BBC Scotland at 7.45pm. I intended to watch  but all I got was Inside Centrsl Station and a Farming programme..

Anyway to today's game. Arbroath after a poor start are certainly firing on all cylinders now with 4 straight wins - 3 League and a League Cup!

We have enjoyed the upper hand against Arbroath in recent games but both teams will be confident of winning.

To be honest I haven't a clue how this game will go. As previously stated if we keep tabs on McKenna we can win. I think all our big players have all  got to play well -  Graham, Lawless  Fitzpatrick, McInroy  Milne & Sneddon  for example. 

In this league the first goal is always important and in this game I think critical. If we, with home advantage, can score first and get the momentum then I think we can  take the 3 points. Unfortunately I think the same applies to Arbroath! My only concern, as always, and has been already mentioned  is our paper thin  midfield. Something Doolan must try to address in the January window.

C'mon the Jags!!

Agree with Sandy except would like Adeloye on perhaps for whole of second half.

On a more general note given Arbroath's strength in midfield which  has already been mentioned on this thread, it might have been better to play Williamson instead of Stanway or Bannigan to give a bit protection to our back 4. Just a thought.