Jags V Subsea Utd

Aberdeenjag

24 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

A short period? McCall certainly wasn't sacked after a short period. And he thoroughly deserved the sack with the mediocrity he served up with a more than healthy budget. But if you are happy to accept the mediocrity on offer, then bash on!

IMO Doolan's most glaring weakness is his inability to react when it's clear the team is struggling. That could involve changing the shape of the team &/or making tactical substitutions. These are not mutually exclusive but his apparent reluctance to make early substitutions (eg half time on Saturday) strongly suggests that recruitment has been average at best.

16 hours ago, javeajag said:

Ok …. I need to ask what is ‘ transitional season ‘ ? Since it seems to be the excuse of the week 

it was always going to be tough to get past DU given their finances but why should we struggle to get into the top 4 ? 

unless Doolans recruitment is poor 

We lost the core of our team (Doc, Holt, Turner) to teams that pay way more than us, our 2 best wingbacks have either been injured or not recovered form from injury (Milne & McMillan), add to that we’ve had to cut the budget. 

Of course it’s transitional, he’s effectively having to start building a team again, blooding youth (which thankfully we have some great prospects). Play offs should be the goal with all this. He’s on track for that

• Like 2

On 10/22/2023 at 8:32 PM, Garscube Road End 2 said:

It's becoming clear that Dollan is out of his depth as a manager.

I don't think there is evidence for this currently. Objectively he improved results after taking over last season, and the play-off run was impressive of itself despite the eventual outcome. A dreadful result on Saturday, but we are 3rd after a quarter of the season, 9 points from the bottom 2 sides. The usual reason for considering managerial change at PTFC is relegation, or imminent threat of it, which is not currently happening. This time last year we were just embarking on a run of 5 league defeats in a row under Ian McCall which effectively ended our challenge. Something similar might happen now, of course, but it hasn't yet.

Edited by milhouse

3 minutes ago, milhouse said:

I don't think there is evidence for this currently. Objectively he improved results after taking over last season, and the play-off run was impressive of itself despite the eventual outcome. A dreadful result on Saturday, but we are 3rd after a quarter of the season, 9 points from the bottom 2 sides. The usual reason for considering managerial change at PTFC is relegation, or imminent threat of it, which is not currently happening. This time last year we were just embarking on a run of 5 league defeats in a row under Ian McCall which effectively ended our title challenge. Something similar might happen now, of course, but it hasn't yet.

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

We lost the core of our team (Doc, Holt, Turner) to teams that pay way more than us, our 2 best wingbacks have either been injured or not recovered form from injury (Milne & McMillan), add to that we’ve had to cut the budget. 

Of course it’s transitional, he’s effectively having to start building a team again, blooding youth (which thankfully we have some great prospects). Play offs should be the goal with all this. He’s on track for that

At the moment, I don’t share your assessment that we are on track for the playoffs. We are currently 3 points worse off than last season when we just scraped in. But more worrying is the way that heads go down when go behind by two goals. Not only is there no belief that we can come back from that, but it is more likely that we lose heavily.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

At the moment, I don’t share your assessment that we are on track for the playoffs. We are currently 3 points worse off than last season when we just scraped in. 

We had a fairly decent first quarter last season, yet still only managed a 3 point difference with a much better squad.

I don’t think your logic is that sound. Being 3rd does mean we are on track for a playoff place. Last season we followed that decent first quarter with a truly abysmal second quarter which really should have gotten McCall the sack earlier than it did. This is the reason we only scraped into the playoffs in the end.

This also suggests that there is a surprising amount of leeway to make the playoff, given we lost 5 on the trot. I would say that this actually strengthens the argument that we are on track; there’s every chance we’ll have a better second quarter this season. 

29 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

We had a fairly decent first quarter last season, yet still only managed a 3 point difference with a much better squad.

I don’t think your logic is that sound. Being 3rd does mean we are on track for a playoff place. Last season we followed that decent first quarter with a truly abysmal second quarter which really should have gotten McCall the sack earlier than it did. This is the reason we only scraped into the playoffs in the end.

This also suggests that there is a surprising amount of leeway to make the playoff, given we lost 5 on the trot. I would say that this actually strengthens the argument that we are on track; there’s every chance we’ll have a better second quarter this season. 

Well, first off, you have omitted the bit of my post that makes my argument. Secondly, last season we were top with only 3 points more, not 7 points behind. This shows the difference in squad quality. I hope you are right about the 2nd quarter, but shooting 3 blanks in 4 games doesn’t give me confidence.

18 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

That could literally describe every thistle manger in every season …. It goes with the job.

on Saturday we started with : sneddon, Milne, muirhead, Graham, lawless , bannigan , Fitzpatrick which is 7 out of 11 and if MacMillan had been fit that would have been 8 out of 11.

thats not a new team that’s 3/4 changes the same as every other team in the league.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, javeajag said:

That could literally describe every thistle manger in every season …. It goes with the job.

on Saturday we started with : sneddon, Milne, muirhead, Graham, lawless , bannigan , Fitzpatrick which is 7 out of 11 and if MacMillan had been fit that would have been 8 out of 11.

thats not a new team that’s 3/4 changes the same as every other team in the league.

I don't think norge is arguing re quantity. Rather the quality of our losses over the summer and our inability to replace that quality due to financial restrictions.

I tend to side with him tho' I'm critical about us not filling a certain position. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The key issue is the players we lost we were unlikely to replace like for like. So it's not that simple. My expectation remains the play offs and if we achieve that it will be viewed as a success by most. 

21 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

A short period? McCall certainly wasn't sacked after a short period. And he thoroughly deserved the sack with the mediocrity he served up with a more than healthy budget. But if you are happy to accept the mediocrity on offer, then bash on!

If you read my previous post you will note I suggested Doolan needs to be given at least 2 full seasons to put a plan in place and implement that plan.

Meanwhile you can " bash on " about wanting people sacked whenever we have a disappointing result.

How often have you been at Firhill this season?

16 minutes ago, Emsca said:

If you read my previous post you will note I suggested Doolan needs to be given at least 2 full seasons to put a plan in place and implement that plan.

Meanwhile you can " bash on " about wanting people sacked whenever we have a disappointing result.

A disappointing result is happening all too often. Its not just about the result. The performances are pretty bad. Even when we have won, we aren't totally convincing. As said by a few on here, Doolan doesn't seem capable of changing things when we fall behind. We seem to down tools when we are behind. 

Doolan 's recruitment has been very underwhelming. He hasn't addressed our real problem area in midfield. And he constantly keeps playing Bannigan. Signed players who have historic injury problems.  

Regards attending Firhill. What relevance is there to this discussion?

There are enough media outlets to see action from Thistle games and commentary to glean what is actually happening with this team.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I don't think norge is arguing re quantity. Rather the quality of our losses over the summer and our inability to replace that quality due to financial restrictions.

I tend to side with him tho' I'm critical about us not filling a certain position. 

Maybe but again that’s his job …. And the jury is definitely out on recruitment …. What is the point of Alston ? 

40 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

The key issue is the players we lost we were unlikely to replace like for like. So it's not that simple. My expectation remains the play offs and if we achieve that it will be viewed as a success by most. 

I agree we should make the playoffs but recruitment has been less than stellar so far 

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

A disappointing result is happening all too often. Its not just about the result. The performances are pretty bad. Even when we have won, we aren't totally convincing. As said by a few on here, Doolan doesn't seem capable of changing things when we fall behind. We seem to down tools when we are behind. 

Doolan 's recruitment has been very underwhelming. He hasn't addressed our real problem area in midfield. And he constantly keeps playing Bannigan. Signed players who have historic injury problems.  

Regards attending Firhill. What relevance is there to this discussion?

There are enough media outlets to see action from Thistle games and commentary to glean what is actually happening with this team.

I notice you avoided answering re your attendance at Firhill by using the old technique of answering a question with a question. In my view it is relevant because you are probably the most ardent exponent of wanting the manger sacked at every poor result and yet you seldom attend games.  I appreciate you can view games via other mediums. Call me old fashioned but I think a supporter is someone who pays their ticket money and watches their team live.

Anyway you bash on.

5 hours ago, Emsca said:

Re iterate what you’ve said , Kris Doolan has had 1 transfer window to build a team , it doesn’t work that way in football.

It takes time to build football teams , we should give Doolan time to do that .

5 hours ago, javeajag said:

Maybe but again that’s his job …. And the jury is definitely out on recruitment …. What is the point of Alston ? 

What’s the point on various players signed by every manager we’ve ever had.

Coulinbaly 

Roger Eli

Dowds

Lyons we signed from Montrose

Some players are signed to improve squad and end up regular starts, others don’t and you don’t see them.