January Transfer Window

JAG1970

Agree with comments about Carson and SOD.

The former will be totally comitted to the cause and the latter will bring experience and composure to, at times  a panicky defence.

According to the Courier Byrne has decided to sign for Raith Rovers. Looks like he won't be coming to Firhill. Obviously he is being ill advised turning down the chance to become a Jag!

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Agree with comments about Carson and SOD.

The former will be totally comitted to the cause and the latter will bring experience and composure to, at times  a panicky defence.

According to the Courier Byrne has decided to sign for Raith Rovers. Looks like he won't be coming to Firhill. Obviously he is being ill advised turning down the chance to become a Jag!

Is he signing for Raith Rovers or just going on loan as he is already on loan there?

11 hours ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

Personally I would have Stephen O’Donnell back in a heart beat. I know he’s 31 now but he is a regular starter in the premier league and still looks in great shape. I believe he’s out of contract in the summer and would be a realistic target as someone who is still will liked at the club. I understand the age aspect but I see no reason why he couldn’t give us a good few years in the championship if he’s still performing at premier league level. Also a threat going forward to try and fill the gap McMillan will leave. 

Not sure we could get near Stephen’s wages unfortunately 

On 1/13/2024 at 8:21 PM, Third Lanark said:

Is he signing for Raith Rovers or just going on loan as he is already on loan there?

Courier said he was going to sign a permanent contract with Raith. Implied in the brief article was that he has been told he has no future at Dundee.

All of this though might just be 'paper talk'.

16 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Doolan willing to let Lyon go out on loan according to media

Might be better for Lyon as the alternative seems to be warming the bench.

I suspect McInroy will return to Kilmarnock at the end of the season and if we can offload Alston that would create space for Lyons.

I wouldn't be averse to Bannigan leaving either but isn't he on a two year contract? There is also Robinson whom I would be happy to retain.

We might be stuck in terms of what we can do for Lyons so at some point I think Doolan is just going to have to bite the bullet and either release him or play him ahead of Alston etc.

I would hope for the latter.

4 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Might be better for Lyon as the alternative seems to be warming the bench.

I suspect McInroy will return to Kilmarnock at the end of the season and if we can offload Alston that would create space for Lyons.

I wouldn't be averse to Bannigan leaving either but isn't he on a two year contract? There is also Robinson whom I would be happy to retain.

We might be stuck in terms of what we can do for Lyons so at some point I think Doolan is just going to have to bite the bullet and either release him or play him ahead of Alston etc.

I would hope for the latter.

Yeah, I don't see how you can really get an idea of a player's potential value if he doesn't get more than two or three consecutive games in a starting position. I'm pretty sure that Lyons hasn't had that opportunity.

3 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Lyon is both a scorer and a creator of goals, and a very tidy and intelligent footballer. I really hope that he can become a regular Thistle first team starter, though perhaps more likely next season than this

This is spot on. James is a midfielder who operates primarily in forward areas. There's rather an overload of competition in that area at present. If he is loaned out it's important he goes to a club who'll play him in an advanced position as opposed to being used as some sort of midfield cover. It's Lyon's goal threat, direct and assisting, that should be utilised.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

This is spot on. James is a midfielder who operates primarily in forward areas. There's rather an overload of competition in that area at present. If he is loaned out it's important he goes to a club who'll play him in an advanced position as opposed to being used as some sort of midfield cover. It's Lyon's goal threat, direct and assisting, that should be utilised.

Out of likes, so will just say “Couldn’t agree more”!

41 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Rudden and Kerr both told to find new clubs this month by Dundee.  Whilst I don’t think we now need a Rudden back at Firhill he is kinda player I hope does not end up at Raith.

He probably will go to raith simply because anytime we are linked with a player they seem to then sign him - with the exception of o Reilly 

57 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

He probably will go to raith simply because anytime we are linked with a player they seem to then sign him - with the exception of o Reilly 

Might be more likely to be Queens Park as Davidson tried to sign him for St Johnstone and QP have been a bit lightweight up front this season.

I was never much convinced by Rudden, but I suspect he was carrying an injury for much of his time with us. Anyway, not much fussed even if he does sign for Raith.

Cammy Kerr might be a useful addition to the defence. I still think we look a little light weight at the back and he has always looked solid when I’ve seen him.

Imo we have enough upfront with Graham, Adeloye and Diak, with Robinson also able to step in further forward if required. Also i would rather Diak got more game time than bring in Rudden which would also push Diak down the pecking order.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I was never much convinced by Rudden, but I suspect he was carrying an injury for much of his time with us. Anyway, not much fussed even if he does sign for Raith.

Cammy Kerr might be a useful addition to the defence. I still think we look a little light weight at the back and he has always looked solid when I’ve seen him.

I also never really understood the furore when he left. He blew very hot and cold, with a lot of cold.

On 1/21/2024 at 1:23 PM, Fawlty Towers said:

Might be more likely to be Queens Park as Davidson tried to sign him for St Johnstone and QP have been a bit lightweight up front this season.

His best pal from his days at Rangers is Jack Thomson at QP as well

I liked Rudden in his last season with us as he added goals to his hard work. He was always committed to the cause. However I felt he was too quick to leave us and for his own good could have stayed for another season. I had doubts about whether or not he was ready for the step-up to the SPL.

I also agree that with Adeloye, Diack and Graham we have enough goal threat povided we continue to play with our current formation. If we change to playing with 2 strikers then we need to sign another striker but I would be looking for someone who is more mobile and who has more football in him than Rudden.