January Transfer Window

JAG1970

On 1/28/2024 at 5:23 AM, Jaggernaut said:

A Bobby Lawrie, Denis McQuade, or Bobby Houston clone would do nicely.

I like all three but given a choice my preference would be  would prefer Houston (1st choice) or McQuade (2nd).

I thought Houston was the more consistant and without checking his goal tally had more goal threat!

I didnt think Lawrie was as good as Houston or McQuade.

As far as Messi and Ronaldo are concerned I just don't see either being able to do the business in a Jags Jersey. I think they would both be overwhelmed by the experience and responsibility.

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I like all three but given a choice my preference would be  would prefer Houston (1st choice) or McQuade (2nd).

I thought Houston was the more consistant and without checking his goal tally had more goal threat!

I didnt think Lawrie was as good as Houston or McQuade.

As far as Messi and Ronaldo are concerned I just don't see either being able to do the business in a Jags Jersey. I think they would both be overwhelmed by the experience and responsibility.

It’s all about opinion but Denis was magical, Annie was direct and a phenomenal worker (Lawless of the early 70s), and Houston was perhaps more adaptable but let down a bit by his temperament. Also Bobby once tried to give me his whippets ( not a euphemism!) whilst he was a bit drunk on a train coming back from Aberdeen in 1974? (1-1 Prudham) so he will always qualify in any top two wingers competition. In addition Lawrie and McQuade scored at Hampden whereas Houston’s goal was incorrectly disallowed!!!

21 minutes ago, robphil said:

Could field all three; if memory serves  I think Denis once scored a hat-trick playing at centre forward. But I've just completed five weeks of radiotherapy and my brain may be scrambled...

Against Dundee U (a fortnight after the 4-1). Bone injured, Denis at centre forward (I assume Glavin was also injured as he would have been the natural replacement and Charlie Smith was replacing him but can’t remember (Thistle Archive will know!)

Should have added that I hope you are feeling better soon. 

Edited by JeanieD

I thought that the plan was for James Lyon to go out on loan, but maybe other things that had to happen first have not fallen into place and/or a suitable team has not been found.

Perhaps he would have had to look to League 1 to get a starting place. However, it  did occur to me on Saturday that he would be uniquely suited to Airdrie's style of play with lots of movement in the attacking midfield area and sharp passes to feet between nimble players.

6 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I thought that the plan was for James Lyon to go out on loan, but maybe other things that had to happen first have not fallen into place and/or a suitable team has not been found.

Perhaps he would have had to look to League 1 to get a starting place. However, it  did occur to me on Saturday that he would be uniquely suited to Airdrie's style of play with lots of movement in the attacking midfield area and sharp passes to feet between nimble players.

I think both Lyon and MacKenzie would benefit from going out on loan. Different cases tho'. James is unlikely to get much game time this season with us. So I can only imagine we can't find him a suitable club. It's different with Zander. We possibly needed to bring in a player to justify his loss. Zander can come off the bench to cover a few positions. 

On 1/30/2024 at 7:05 PM, JeanieD said:

It’s all about opinion but Denis was magical, Annie was direct and a phenomenal worker (Lawless of the early 70s), and Houston was perhaps more adaptable but let down a bit by his temperament. Also Bobby once tried to give me his whippets ( not a euphemism!) whilst he was a bit drunk on a train coming back from Aberdeen in 1974? (1-1 Prudham) so he will always qualify in any top two wingers competition. In addition Lawrie and McQuade scored at Hampden whereas Houston’s goal was incorrectly disallowed!!!

I agree Dennis was magical. I saw a young McQuade absolutely twist and turn  young Danny McGrain inside out in a reserve match at Firhill v Celtic. I think the score was 1-1. He was also brilliant in the League Cup Semi-Final v Falkirk and I think he scored both goals in a 2-0 victory. A great Jag!

50 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I agree Dennis was magical. I saw a young McQuade absolutely twist and turn  young Danny McGrain inside out in a reserve match at Firhill v Celtic. I think the score was 1-1. He was also brilliant in the League Cup Semi-Final v Falkirk and I think he scored both goals in a 2-0 victory. A great Jag!

Agreed. It's a real shame we don't have more (or indeed any) really good video coverage of the Thistle team of the McParland era.

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Denis played football in a cloud of unconscious genius - he is also one of the nicest men ever to lace up a pair of boots...

Edited by robphil
Literal
  • Like 1