Morton v Thistle Jan 13

Muirhead has been playing thru an injury so wouldn't be surprised to see him benched. Depends perhaps how much training O'Reilly has done alongside Neilson. Be interesting to see if McBeth also gets a start. Guess would be one of the two start. 

Far from my favorite away day. Hate the way we're treated at Cappielow. Coming away with a win would certainly help. Be difficult to get all three points, methinks.

Morton on a 7 game unbeaten run, iirc we were the last team to beat them. According to what i have read they are a physical team that like to press, which we struggle against. I think if everybody is fit the only change from last week's starting lineup will be O'Reilly for Muirhead. Let's hope BBG does all his talking on the park.

Can’t be changing a team who won 4-0 last week. Need to watch out for Strapp’s throw ins, they are like missiles. 2 hattricks in a row from Muirhead then Oakley in their last 2 games, let’s not make it a hattrick of hattricks against the Partick, unless it’s Aidan Fitzpatrick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not disagreeing with any of the previous posters, but as well as the Aaron Muirhead/Dan O'Reilly debate, there may be at least a conversation to be had about whether Blair Alston should be in the starting line up. Scott Robinson, Luke McBeth and Ben Stanway could all be in that discussion, with appropriate adjustments of McInroy's or Bannigan's roles also being in the mix.

Cappielow is a different planet from Firhill, which might in itself justify changes in structure, tactics or personnel.

12 hours ago, jags on tour said:

Can’t be changing a team who won 4-0 last week. Need to watch out for Strapp’s throw ins, they are like missiles. 2 hattricks in a row from Muirhead then Oakley in their last 2 games, let’s not make it a hattrick of hattricks against the Partick, unless it’s Aidan Fitzpatrick.

I sure hope Fitzpatrick isn’t scoring a hat trick against the Partick.

Morton.  Horrible club, horrible fans, horrible ground and horrible style of play but at least they have Imrie to offset all that 😂

Can foresee a niggly, scrappy game so hopefully a strong ref and hoping this time tmrw we are all toasting a victory with a pint of Imrie tears.  :fan:

See Dundee Utd won a poor game at Inverness with a Watt goal in the 87th minute.

Pity.

Neither of the top 2 are looking convincing at the moment - but keep getting these late goals!

Difficult game for us tomorrow but a must win if we are to stay in touch with the top 2. 

I don't see QP doing anything v Raith.

9 hours ago, exiledjag said:

See Dundee Utd won a poor game at Inverness with a Watt goal in the 87th minute.

Pity.

Neither of the top 2 are looking convincing at the moment - but keep getting these late goals!

Difficult game for us tomorrow but a must win if we are to stay in touch with the top 2. 

I don't see QP doing anything v Raith.

Watched a bit of the game last night. Poor is an understatement. That said I should hardly have thought a midwinter match in Inverness was likely to be entertaining. Our problem with the top two has been taking only one point out of a possible twelve against them. Somehow we need to reverse these results AND win away at grounds where drawing should be acceptable. Kinda feel the damage has been done.

Tho' we no doubt need a win today to stay in touch, a draw should be welcome. Morton are on a roll and should be expecting to win at home.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Watched a bit of the game last night. Poor is an understatement. That said I should hardly have thought a midwinter match in Inverness was likely to be entertaining. Our problem with the top two has been taking only one point out of a possible twelve against them. Somehow we need to reverse these results AND win away at grounds where drawing should be acceptable. Kinda feel the damage has been done.

Tho' we no doubt need a win today to stay in touch, a draw should be welcome. Morton are on a roll and should be expecting to win at home.

Last year, it looked like Morton’s Rolls would soon be a thing of the past

(coat is already on…)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Watched most of the second half. Inverness were so frustrating. They had the better of the play and were making regular inroads down the left wing especially. However, they were so negative in their approach and kept turning back rather than risk anything at all. It seemed most un-Duncan Ferguson like. 

Inevitably they lost a goal and then threw everything at Dundee United. Classic case of too little too late. If they had played with half that adventure and invention before, they would surely have won.

This game is like virtually every other game I’ve ever seen at Cappielow,  Morton try to boss us physically and a lumpy pitch making passing awkward for both teams. I’d guess  50:50 as you might expect. Think we’ll be alright if we cut out silly mistakes, but I guess their fans will be saying the same.