Utd v jags

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

Feel sorry for young Stanway his first league goal and it now counts for nothing..

Suspect quite a few players scored their first league goal in a defeat. Sure he'll remember it regardless of the scoreline.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fenski said:

Suspect quite a few players scored their first league goal in a defeat. Sure he'll remember it regardless of the scoreline.

Brian Graham at Arbroath is a perfect example

I noticed Raith Rovers let season ticket holders buy their seats early for their playoff games..

Obviously they had a bit more notice technically of who they would be playing.

It would be good if they did similar for fans in the JHS for the playoff games.

Never sat in my own seat once during the run last season. I can't turn up half an hour early due to work commitments.

Edited by jagfox

The right decision to play a weakened team but the performance was poor. 

Last chance to impress for a few and safe to say they didn’t. Hopefully the last time we see Stewart in goals!

It’s not Stanway but Mackenzie who I feel sorry for. He’s never played in his position (centre mid) and is always stuck at rb/rwb where he really struggles.

52 minutes ago, King Kenny said:

The right decision to play a weakened team but the performance was poor. 

Last chance to impress for a few and safe to say they didn’t. Hopefully the last time we see Stewart in goals!

It’s not Stanway but Mackenzie who I feel sorry for. He’s never played in his position (centre mid) and is always stuck at rb/rwb where he really struggles.

I only saw the highlights and don't see how Stewart was to blame for any of the goals. The   the firstgoal was very poor penalty box defending, highlights didnt show the reason for the penalty so cant comment on this goal and the second and third were good moves by Utd though our defence looked slow and lethargic in terms of awareness and movement.

I couldnt see where Stewart was to blame for any of the goals.  Why have some posters been critical?

7 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I only saw the highlights and don't see how Stewart was to blame for any of the goals. The   the firstgoal was very poor penalty box defending, highlights didnt show the reason for the penalty so cant comment on this goal and the second and third were good moves by Utd though our defence looked slow and lethargic in terms of awareness and movement.

I couldnt see where Stewart was to blame for any of the goals.  Why have some posters been critical?

18 goals conceded in his 5 games. Hope that is the end of him in a Jags shirt.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

18 goals conceded in his 5 games. Hope that is the end of him in a Jags shirt.

I'm not here to defend Stewart, & doubt he'll be at the club next season, but he was the least of our problems last night. We had 3 central midfielders who couldn't win nor retain the ball. This is an area which Doolan must address irrespective of which division we play in - a ball winner & a more technical player who can see & make a pass would be a good start.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I'm not here to defend Stewart, & doubt he'll be at the club next season, but he was the least of our problems last night. We had 3 central midfielders who couldn't win nor retain the ball. This is an area which Doolan must address irrespective of which division we play in - a ball winner & a more technical player who can see & make a pass would be a good start.

Think you're right.

Alston gave the ball away, when attempting easy passes, at least 7 times in a row at one point.

What is going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Totally agree! If we get through play offs (big if!) would any of our current midfielders be able to play in premier league? Appreciate same could be said across pitch but midfield is weakest area in my opinion!

Don't like commenting too much on a game I only saw on the telly but it looked like setting up narrow was doing fine. Things only changed for the worse when D Utd started working the ball thru the middle. I doubt they'd have been anywhere near as successful if we had set up as normal with Neilson as def mid in front of McBeth and Aero/O'Reilly. We knew that was the case. Just about any of our past games up to mid March backs that up. 

Rightly imo we played a weakened side and maybe, but for individual errors, we could've scraped a draw. But I very much doubt that last night's performance will have any bearing on our nest two games. I sense the bigger picture too obvious to allow for any lack of confidence after a poor result. 

• Like 1

Imo the main objective for this season was to get to the play - offs and take it from there. We managed that and improved on our final league placing from last season. Wasn't at the game and can only comment from what i could see on tv, but for me none of the non regular starters staked a claim to start against Airdrie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I agree with this and my post wasn’t to be overly critical of Stewart for last nights game, more that I don’t think he’s anywhere near good enough to be kept on.

Our midfield has been the biggest drop off this season since losing Docherty and Turner. Stanway really needs to improve on his ball retention if he wants to keep progressing his career. Bannigan has the ability but it’s clear against opposition of United’s level, he struggles to keep up with the pace.

It’ll be interesting to see if Docherty makes it in the league above. I’m a fan of his but always felt his pace of play might be a little slow to play at a higher level. 

I think that Stewart is a poor goalkeeper, and his whole body language does nothing to inspire confidence in me. I suspect that the same may be true for the defenders who have to work with him!

Last might he dumped too many kick outs straight into touch. He also did one short kick out straight to an opposition player which might have resulted in a goal.

Having said all that, he managed a penalty save and a few other decent stops as well. He seemed to be blameless for the 1st, 3rd and 4th goals:

• 1-defenders concede possession. Strong and well-placed shot from Sibbald.
  • 3-shot looked to go through him but replay shows 2 deflections which totally wrongfooted him.
  • 4-Moult good penalty high in the corner.

2nd goal may be the one where he could be questioned, as the striker put the shot under him. However it was a one on one, and a keeper cannot cover every possibility.

In summary, not someone I want to see in goals again for Thistle, but I would not blame him hugely for the goals conceded last night.

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Online tickets for Tuesday night now on sale

Where? Not seeing this on PTFC website. Just occurred to me that may be on Airdrie website. Will go and look there!

PS Successfully purchased via Airdrie website. Here is the link:

https://embed.futureticketing.ie/c/airdrieonians/

Edited by partickthedog
see PS

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Imo the main objective for this season was to get to the play - offs and take it from there. We managed that and improved on our final league placing from last season. Wasn't at the game and can only comment from what i could see on tv, but for me none of the non regular starters staked a claim to start against Airdrie.

Good post AJ- with the players lost I thought we would struggle to make playoffs possibly but we have moved up a league placing so it’s been a success so far for me.  
there have been disappointments of course such as our capitulation to Livingston in the cup which lost us a wad of money- but Doolan is getting us there 

Edited by Third Lanark

25 minutes ago, sandy said:

Our Club budgeted for 5th place. We achieved 3rd.

Whatever happens in the playoffs, Doolan has done well. 

Next year will be the true test.  I think the benchmark will be higher and really test Dools’ ability to put together a squad that can win promotion (or, fingers crossed, can stay in the premiership)

• Like 1

United 4 Thistle 1 →

:detective: MIXED EMOTIONS

Ben Stanway scores his first league goal for Thistle. Next target: to score in a match when Thistle don't get beat.
Ross Stewart has now played 3, lost 3, with 11 goals conceded, and remains rooted to the bottom of the player's stats table for the season (see 'Full' tab). Ironically, his last clean-sheet came in March 2020 for Queen of the South at Firhill. A Thistle win that night would have meant no relegation!
Ceiran Loney (16y, 1m, 20d) becomes the youngest Jag in history to make a league appearance. He takes over from Jamie McKenzie (16y, 4m, 21d) who set his record on 19th April 1997 in a 2-0 defeat away to Stirling Albion.
● Jags go three league games without a booking for the first time since February 2012.
● It's a third embarrassing defeat by (at least) a 3-goal margin versus Dundee United this season, an unwanted first in the H2H.
● 20-goal Brian Graham becomes the first Jag since Kris Doolan (2010-11) to finish as the Division's top goalscorer. He even wins when he's not playing!

ongoing sequences:
● 30 games in 3rd place (30th Sep 2023 to date), an extension of the club-record for a position outwith outright top or bottom. Overall, it's the longest run since the club-record of 33 games in bottom pace (12th), set between 20th Sep 2003 and 15th May 2004.
● 35 consecutive competitive appearances for Lewis Neilson, 15th Sep 2023 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Steven Lawless - 60 games, 18th Feb 2023 to 6th Apr 2024. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

17 hours ago, sandy said:

Our Club budgeted for 5th place. We achieved 3rd.

Whatever happens in the playoffs, Doolan has done well. 

Agree. Stop the clocks sometime in mid June last year and I'd have been chuffed enough if we ended in 8th place. A month or so later I think I'd upped my expectations to maybe scraping into the play offs to represent a decent return. 

It's been a funny season in a way as both Airdrie and Raith have also exceeded their expectations. Even more so than us I would imagine.

14 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree. Stop the clocks sometime in mid June last year and I'd have been chuffed enough if we ended in 8th place. A month or so later I think I'd upped my expectations to maybe scraping into the play offs to represent a decent return. 

It's been a funny season in a way as both Airdrie and Raith have also exceeded their expectations. Even more so than us I would imagine.

Agree with your post although not sure about Raith Rovers.  They have the second largest budget I’m sure.  Look at the quality of player they were able to sign Jack Hamilton on a 3 year deal for instance.  Even bringing in guys like Byrne, Turner, Ashcroft etc plus lots more.  They have had exceptional investment this season so I think if they had finished less than second it would have been less than expected.

Of course big budget’s don’t always count - Queens Park backed by Willie Haughey and comfortably able to outbid us for Don Thomas, Ruaridh Paton etc I would estimate had third highest budget but finished third bottom and only a point ahead of second bottom