It's That Day Again - 23Rd October

Camallain

How many of us were there that day and where are they all now?

Was there as a 16-year-old. Loved every minute of it, in among the large Thistle "choir" in the covered terracing. Still got the flag that went with me to every away game the season before and to the LCF. It comes out every now and then for a big event (last time was the Ramsden's final).

Got to follow the ups and downs from Japan these days; it's murder.

the bbc's less than finest moment, as i recall.

on grandstand's football preview, sam leitch told the nation: 'in scotland it is league cup final day at hampden where celtic meet partick thistle who have no chance...'

to be fair to big sam, less than 18 months earlier celtic were beating don revie's supposedly unbeatable leeds united to qualify for the european cup final which time the jags were finishing stone last in the 18-team first division with a goal difference of -41 (losing 8-1 and 5-1 along the way to celtic).

18 months on and davie mcparland's exciting young side simply ripped celtic apart.

44 years later and i can still remember the following morning's hangover after a long, long night in the kiwi bar in cowcaddens.

Always enjoy hearing stories of this great day. Alan Dickson can still remember everything about the day itself. When he woke up, what he had for breakfast, how he got to the game and where he went after it.

Miller Reid a pub in Hope Street apparently an that's where the players and a few lucky fans ended up till the Sunday afternoon!

I remember Sam Leitch's Lunchtime prediction that Thistle had no chance :D

Looking back, as I mentioned in another thread recently, the most surprising thing is how unsurprised I was that we were 4-0 up at half-time...that was a great Celtic side who had been European Cup Finalists in 1970...but I was Fifteen then and didn't realise that the Good Guys didn't always win...and we has a really good side with young guys who had no fear.

One of my strongest memories of the day was leaving Hampden at the end of the game and seeing two old guys(probably younger than I am now) hugging each other and in floods of tears - back in the Seventies men in Glasgow just didn't do that. One of them said " I've waited 40 years for this". We've been waiting for another 40 years...

I was behind the goal were the jags stuck in 4 first goals that great day. My friend's father was in tears as

he was a thistle die hard. The expression on my other mate's face will always remain in my memory

as he was a celtic fan. Absolutey priceless the whole event on that never to be forgotten historical day.

I have posted this before but my most poignant memory of the day is my late father preparing me for a potential defeat with the words "Now son you wont be too disappointed when they lose" - I suppose he was just being a good dad and he knew that I, as an 11 year old, might take defeat a bit too seriously. Perhaps he needn't have worried but it was a nice gesture!!

I was only 11 that day, completely surreal experience. For some reason that I don't remember I was in the north enclosure but right against the fence at the Rangers end. Had a perfect view of every goal scored. It wasn't only Sam Leitch, I remember the Daily Record page page that morning had colour team photos of both teams. Above Celtic it had favourites, above us it had underdogs. You couldn't really argue with the assessment but my God they weren't shy of reinforcing your place in the scheme of things. I particularly remember that because it was the first time I had seen a colour photo in a newspaper.