Any Juicy Rumours? Who Are We Hoping To Bring In?

jagfaelivi

Think Maguire is snookered by the same "three team" rule that prevented Michael Tidser playing for Morton in the second half of last season. Maguire has already played competitively for Rotherham and Oxford this season thus ruling him out of playing for a third club until next season. A shame as I suspect he's the sort of player that we might have been looking at (although suspect he might have been slightly out of our reach).

Dont know if that counts between different countries :thinking::unknw:

I had assumed we would bring in an attacking midfielder or a central midfielder to replace out of favour Stevenson. Mandron seems to be an out and out striker which would give us Doolan, Mandron, Pogba and Duggan all as options. Seems strange for a side that prefers the lone striker.

Our defence has been fixed we just need to add goal scorers. As I said before I would be very surprised if we don't bring a striker in.

Hope that Osman will stay and that a deal can be done with Cerny also,

cant believe we have knowingly let stevo go when we knew muirhead would go back to utd and a high chance edwards would be away for a month and we have no one coming in right away. 3 players down zero in

I dont think stevo will be a big miss. By all accounts he doesnt look fit enough for Ayr. We should have enough cover in that area of the park anyway. I think we need another creative player brought in, but as i said earlier would much rather see the spine of the team sign new contracts, Cerny, Banzo, Osman, Doolan, Booth, Lawless, even Seaborne

By all accounts Stevo isn't even fit enough to play for a part time team in the 3rd tier, so even if he was here, he would be of no use to us.

Getting rid of him frees up a substantial wage for us to bring in 1, or possibly 2 players.

Stevo is a complete irrelevance to the team now.

Its bad news seeing that. Hope big Abdul signs on with us again. Id rather hear about us get players to sign extensions rather than bringing folk in this month.

At what stage do we stop being the wee team in the Premier league that can get key players cherry picked by anyone else?

By all accounts Stevo isn't even fit enough to play for a part time team in the 3rd tier, so even if he was here, he would be of no use to us.

Getting rid of him frees up a substantial wage for us to bring in 1, or possibly 2 players.

Stevo is a complete irrelevance to the team now.

Not only that Bannigan is being played further forward these days so you have a choice of Lawless, Bannigan, Amoo, Pogba and Doolan with Elliot coming into the picture soon (played 45 mins for U-20s Tues night) so reasonable cover up front and Fraser to come back soon giving cover for Welsh/Osman or freeing up Bannigan to move back.

I think the real problem - and Archie has stated this is what he's looking for - is scoring goals. Not easy to fix but if we can get someone in, maybe who could play behind Doolan, who looks to get into the box a lot then that would improve our chances and also take a bit of pressure off Doolan.

A notable thing is that we scored fewer goals this season than for a while - the least of all except the bottom team. We are where we are because we have the 3rd best (equal) goals against record. This shows where we need to improve and it also shows how important it will be to keep as many of Cerny/Booth/Seabourne/Dumbuya/Miller/Osman as possible for next season.

At what stage do we stop being the wee team in the Premier league that can get key players cherry picked by anyone else?

We never will be in that situation as "anyone else" includes teams like Celtic/Aberdeen/Hearts we will never match financially. A better question is when will we be able to match teams like Inverness and Ross County who basically have supports not much bigger than ours but can afford to sign lots of players due to having sugar-daddies (RC especially as they were completely rebuilding their team every January for some years).

I don't know - depends how long these 'sugar-daddies' can afford it. Meanwhile we have to hope we can stay up another season and that the Youth Development starts to pay real dividends.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Saw him play for their U20s the other week. Looked OK but nothing special. I'd have thought Celtic would be keener to move him on.

Possibly this is down to him having an attitude problem - which I believe is part of the reason he's being frozen out at Celtic. Talented player but not maybe as good as he thinks he is, hence the problem. I doubt we even thought of going for him and even if he'd been offered to us on loan on the cheap I think the manager would have thought twice about taking him.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Allyo - every club in Scotland is a selling club. If a team from down south wants one of the best players at Ibrox or Parkhead, they will take them. Finances on offer n both countries dictate that.

So if the 2 biggest clubs can't hold on to their best players then, for sure, we can't either.

No point in worrying about something we can't control.

Lionel Ainsworth seems out the picture at Motherwell. A good player and creative with an ability to score goals to.

Apart from his wages, playing for a rival and signs of life from Mr Amoo this is a sure thing ;)

He came on as a sub recently and played a big part in the game according to the radio

He came on as a sub recently and played a big part in the game according to the radio

Thank you for backing up my point jaggy. There wasn't really any need as there is probably more chance of Lionel Blair showing up in a Thistle strip :P

I'm not talking about our players being picked up by the Celtics or Aberdeens, or clubs down south. It's when we lose guys to teams like killie or Ross county or Inverness. I'd like to see us get past that point. It's been happening for years, David Lilley to Kilmarnock, Burns to Motherwell, Lambie to Falkirk, did Gerry and Geordie go to Dundee? Never happens the opposite way unless someone is out of favour. We always seem to be bottom of the chain.

By the way, not complaining if that is what is necessary to be sustainable. Just genuinely wondering if there is any prospect of it changing

• Like 2

Okay. My own question has me intrigued (apologies if it's just me). It happens often. In the last year we've had Higgie, Balatoni and Fox as first choice players (in Fox's case don't know how, but anyway), all offered new contracts (therefore "wanted"), but all signing for other premier clubs. In 30 years I can't think of us signing a single current first choice player from another premier club.

Can anyone else?

Edited by allyo