Any Juicy Rumours? Who Are We Hoping To Bring In?

jagfaelivi

Attention, everyone. We seem to have a rumour.

Partick Thistle are ready to raid Rangers for winger Fraser Aird, according to reports elsewhere.

Aird has made only four appearances this season – with his last game coming against St Mirren in October.

And the Jags are plotting a move for the wideman to increase their chances of making the top six.

They’re in ninth right now – four points off the top half.

Source: Daily Record (10:38am)

Attention, everyone. We seem to have a rumour.

Partick Thistle are ready to raid Rangers for winger Fraser Aird, according to reports elsewhere.

Aird has made only four appearances this season – with his last game coming against St Mirren in October.

And the Jags are plotting a move for the wideman to increase their chances of making the top six.

They’re in ninth right now – four points off the top half.

Source: Daily Record (10:38am)

I can't see why we'd want a guy that hasn't played a full 90 mins in over a year in the league below us. Saw him play for sevco U20s a few months ago and he wasn't exactly over impressive that evening. One of the better players on show but nothing more. Not even sure what his preferred position is these days but I think he's been played at right back most recently.

I can't see why we'd want a guy that hasn't played a full 90 mins in over a year in the league below us. Saw him play for sevco U20s a few months ago and he wasn't exactly over impressive that evening. One of the better players on show but nothing more. Not even sure what his preferred position is these days but I think he's been played at right back most recently.

He's complete dross, and also under contract for another 2 seasons since Rangers hilariously gave him a 5 year contract.

I can't see us paying money for him, and the fact that McCoist is the only Rangers manager who's ever given him a run in the team is surely indicative that he's shite.

I think/hope we can chalk this one up to lazy journalism.

He's complete dross, and also under contract for another 2 seasons since Rangers hilariously gave him a 5 year contract.

I can't see us paying money for him, and the fact that McCoist is the only Rangers manager who's ever given him a run in the team is surely indicative that he's shite.

I think/hope we can chalk this one up to lazy journalism.

And unless Rangers pay him off he won't take such a pay cut to come to us

Think Aberdeen would be a great (and well deserved) move for Bannigan.

I wouldn't be too keen on losing him during this window though. As others have pointed out, St Mirren fatally suffered (on the pitch) from cashing in on McLean this time last year. Others may disagree but I don't think Bannigan is quite as integral to us as McLean was to St Mirren but nonetheless, I wouldn't want to lose him whilst we're still battling to stay out of the dogfight at the bottom.

If we were to cash in this month, rightly or wrongly, £100k is probably the maximum that we could get. Finishing positions in the league increase in £50k increments - is Bannigan's presence in the team going to see us finish two places higher than we would in his absence?

If my estimate above is undervalued and Aberdeen were willing to offer more to get him now, it would be a tough decision for Archie and the Board.

Not sure from a footballing perspective it would be good for Banzo though I'm sure if he was just looking for a heftier pay packet then Aberdeen would be a good move .

Going to Aberdeen playing against the same players he has done for the past 2 seasons is hardly going to make him a better player.

I've got no doubt he could easily play at championship level down south with his technique and ability.

Once again I'm hugely disappointed we're probably not going to get a transfer fee for someone we've developed for the last 5 years, the board and management have got to get players' contracts sorted out instead of letting players run down their deals, in my opinion Stuart Bannigan is easily in the £500k bracket so some club is going to get an absolute bargain.

• Like 1

Not sure from a footballing perspective it would be good for Banzo though I'm sure if he was just looking for a heftier pay packet then Aberdeen would be a good move .

Going to Aberdeen playing against the same players he has done for the past 2 seasons is hardly going to make him a better player.

I've got no doubt he could easily play at championship level down south with his technique and ability.

Once again I'm hugely disappointed we're probably not going to get a transfer fee for someone we've developed for the last 5 years, the board and management have got to get players' contracts sorted out instead of letting players run down their deals, in my opinion Stuart Bannigan is easily in the £500k bracket so some club is going to get an absolute bargain.

Contracts are not something the board and management can sort out unilaterally. It takes two to tango and when the other party does not want to sign (perhaps on advice whether good or bad) and prefers to run the deal down, there is not much the club can do.

• Like 1

Contracts are not something the board and management can sort out unilaterally. It takes two to tango and when the other party does not want to sign (perhaps on advice whether good or bad) and prefers to run the deal down, there is not much the club can do.

Pretty sure most people at Firhill knew that Banzo , Higgy , O'donnell ,Erskine, Paton were running down their contracts and that's the difference between ourselves and maybe Hamilton who don't let the players they've developed run down their contracts and get good transfer fees for them which is then reinvested into their Academy or playing budget.

This summer we're going to go through the same scenario again with so many players out of contract, how can you build your business/club that way ?

Pretty sure most people at Firhill knew that Banzo , Higgy , O'donnell ,Erskine, Paton were running down their contracts and that's the difference between ourselves and maybe Hamilton who don't let the players they've developed run down their contracts and get good transfer fees for them which is then reinvested into their Academy or playing budget.

This summer we're going to go through the same scenario again with so many players out of contract, how can you build your business/club that way ?

The only way we could've gone about offering extended contracts would've either been at the expense of not making some other signings or "borrowing" money. The former would've required, to make up the numbers, significant progress from Youth Academy straight to First Team. In fairness to ThistleWeir that would really be asking too much too soon. The latter way would be thinly disguised as speculating to accumulate, not something I believe we should favour.

I agree that Accies have cracked it. They're already at a position where their youth players can routinely step up into their first team. As way of an example their current development team is at the top of that league. We're still some way off that kind of conveyor belt supply.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

The only way we could've gone about offering extended contracts would've either been at the expense of not making some other signings or "borrowing" money. The former would've required, to make up the numbers, significant progress from Youth Academy straight to First Team. In fairness to ThistleWeir that would really be asking too much too soon. The latter way would be thinly disguised as speculating to accumulate, not something I believe we should favour.

I agree that Accies have cracked it. They're already at a position where their youth players can routinely step up into their first team. As way of an example their current development team is at the top of that league. We're still some way off that kind of conveyor belt supply.

I personally think the problem is how our club is perceived, if you want to pick Hamilton as an example the players there

know they've no chance of running down their contracts and surely that philosophy must come from the club.

If a player signs a 2 year contract surely you talk to him again after a year to sort things out for the future and if you can't then the club should sell if they can .

I'm not advocating that we randomly push players from the Academy into the first team if they're not ready but if we've got some sort of cash flow from transfer fees at least we've got an option where to invest it whether that's the first team or the Academy.

Out of all the Premier League teams IMO we are definitely the least effective in dealing with players contracts and this is borne out by the amount of players who have effectively left the club for nothing.