Any Juicy Rumours? Who Are We Hoping To Bring In?

jagfaelivi

Okay. My own question has me intrigued (apologies if it's just me). It happens often. In the last year we've had Higgie, Balatoni and Fox as first choice players (in Fox's case don't know how, but anyway), all offered new contracts (therefore "wanted"), but all signing for other premier clubs. In 30 years I can't think of us signing a single current first choice player from another premier club.

Can anyone else?

I agree and would like to see this change as well but when you have someone like say Higgie at Thistle being offered a deal of say £1k a week on a 2 year deal you then get the Killies/Countys/Wells of this world who will pay them £2k per week on a 4 year deal. We won't pay money we don't have which is sensible if not frustrating at times when you see your players sign for clubs around you in the league.

• Like 1

The closest I can think of is the excellent deal that saw us get Toastie from St. Mirren, which effectively killed their chances to win the league that year and saw us win it at Love St.; he also had a great season the following year 'til we lost him to one of our rivals for the next one. Damn that story had a sad end.

I'm not talking about our players being picked up by the Celtics or Aberdeens, or clubs down south. It's when we lose guys to teams like killie or Ross county or Inverness. I'd like to see us get past that point. It's been happening for years, David Lilley to Kilmarnock, Burns to Motherwell, Lambie to Falkirk, did Gerry and Geordie go to Dundee? Never happens the opposite way unless someone is out of favour. We always seem to be bottom of the chain.

By the way, not complaining if that is what is necessary to be sustainable. Just genuinely wondering if there is any prospect of it changing

It's a very reasonable point.

We have always seemed to be perennially "cash-strapped Partick Thistle". Throughout the 70's we sold our best player every season...perhaps the most galling was selling Doug Somner to St Mirren, a club in our peer group. Despite taking in very sizeable fees, we never spent much in buying in good replacements and it lead the club into the wilderness years(or was it decades?).

More recently we seem either to lose out on signing players or our players join clubs of similar status to Thistle. I would genuinely like to know about the relative financial backgrounds of these clubs...I would have thought there would be advantages in being in Scotland's biggest city but maybe they are outweighed by the drawbacks...perhaps higher operating costs or more competition for sponsorship.

The only time I can remember Thistle beating off competition from peer group clubs was when we signed Ryan Stevenson - there was reported interest from St Mirren and Dundee...unfortunately that didn't work out too well.

It's a very reasonable point.

We have always seemed to be perennially "cash-strapped Partick Thistle". Throughout the 70's we sold our best player every season...perhaps the most galling was selling Doug Somner to St Mirren, a club in our peer group. Despite taking in very sizeable fees, we never spent much in buying in good replacements and it lead the club into the wilderness years(or was it decades?).

More recently we seem either to lose out on signing players or our players join clubs of similar status to Thistle. I would genuinely like to know about the relative financial backgrounds of these clubs...I would have thought there would be advantages in being in Scotland's biggest city but maybe they are outweighed by the drawbacks...perhaps higher operating costs or more competition for sponsorship.

The only time I can remember Thistle beating off competition from peer group clubs was when we signed Ryan Stevenson - there was reported interest from St Mirren and Dundee...unfortunately that didn't work out too well.

He turned down better deals from Aberdeen and Rangers. Aberdeen as it was too far to travel, and because he hates Rangers.

This is the bit that really p*sses me off. For all of us on here, the dream of running out in the red and yella is (pace the marvellous Firhill Cup) just that - a dream. However, footballers have to be a lot more cold-blooded/career-minded than that - their career is relatively short, and at our level the wages, signing on fees and other perks probably won't sustain family life for very long once they disappear. In that sense, they have to maximise any benefit they can get - and if that means going to Motherwell, Accrington Stanley or whoever to get an extra £100 a week, then that's what they'll do.

I'd also like know the role of agents in all this. How are we sold (or not) to players by their agents? I don't know how attractive 'they don't pay much but you will get paid' is compared to 'have £2k a week but oops we could go into administration '. What is it they (agents or players) don't see in us. I would say we're quite a good career option for younger players - regular first team football and decent exposure on TV. Which gets us back to where we started - do well and you can move to, maybe not a bigger club, but a better paying contract.....

The closest I can think of is the excellent deal that saw us get Toastie from St. Mirren, which effectively killed their chances to win the league that year and saw us win it at Love St.; he also had a great season the following year 'til we lost him to one of our rivals for the next one. Damn that story had a sad end.

We got the best of Toastie, didn't we? I don't think he ever hit the same form at any other club. Pretty much the same as for James Grady.

Lots of examples of good players from clubs around our level in Lambie's time. Chic, Davie irons, Farningham, Albert Craig, Alex Taylor, Willie Jamieson. But I reckon they'd all fallen out of their first team before coming to us. I still can't think of us signing a player from another premier team, where the other team really wanted to keep them.

and Scott Paterson (even more so than Grady who seemed to score quite freely for Gretna).

Grady scored a remarkable amount of goals for us considering the team he had to play with. He then turned into a sort of poor man's John Baird, Scoring for fun in the lower divisions but useless in the SPL. He won't rank high up in Dundee United's all time worst signings, simply as they're too many to mention but a classic example of hero to zero nonetheless.

and Scott Paterson (even more so than Grady who seemed to score quite freely for Gretna).

Paterson was plagued with injury throughout his career and the odd thing was that his spell with us was his most injury free period in his time as a player. That's why he was so good for us and not for others. A very talented player (signed for Liverpool though never played for them), possibly international class if he wasn't a bit slow (and injury prone) though that lack of pace didn't tell against him much in the days of three at the back (and his real one weakness with us was dwelling on the ball a bit too long).

Grady scored a remarkable amount of goals for us considering the team he had to play with. He then turned into a sort of poor man's John Baird, Scoring for fun in the lower divisions but useless in the SPL. He won't rank high up in Dundee United's all time worst signings, simply as they're too many to mention but a classic example of hero to zero nonetheless.

John Baird is a poor man's John Baird

• Like 2

A bit of a defence from me as I thought Baird was a decent player and I had high hopes for him. During every game he played for us he gave his all and chased every lost cause, it obviously didn't work out for him at Thistle but sometimes that's just the case - we've benefited from many great Thistle players who just didn't really click or hit the highs at other clubs.

• Like 1

I reckon most clubs around us, of similar stature and support, still ain't quite accepted their true financial position or realistic potential. I reckon there's still one or two with an optimistic gamblers attitude setting a less than fully responsible financial course for they're club.

I absolutely agree with many of the gripes, groans, suspicions and criticisms of our current board. However, I still say we're very lucky to have them. Maybe just spare a moment, while wistfully contemplating big name signings and rueing our apparent policy of homing rejects, second chancers or unproven ptoential, to reflect on the fact our chairman was pretty much an unknown in the football world before coming to the JAGS....

I'd rather see the club's infrastructure established, grown, stable and professionalised before investing in potentially volatile, moody, fragile players who may only be in it for the best available wage.

Also..... Archie knows the club and knows the deal. I honestly doubt we could have a better fitting gaffer in place.

Patience lads.... This will be a slow burner. Don't burn out the fuel creating a big flame!!!

:fan:

• Like 3

A bit of a defence from me as I thought Baird was a decent player and I had high hopes for him. During every game he played for us he gave his all and chased every lost cause, it obviously didn't work out for him at Thistle but sometimes that's just the case - we've benefited from many great Thistle players who just didn't really click or hit the highs at other clubs.

Sometimes the balls he chased weren't lost causes until he got to them. Just wasn't good enough for the step up.

I honestly think we are about 3 short of easily being a top 6 team. The defence is absolutely solid.

cerny

Dumbuya Lindsay Seaborne booth

bannigan osman

lawless new guy new guy

doolan (swapping with a new guy)

Miller is adequate back up, and so is Frans. Bannigan can also cover at left back if necessary.

Miller is adequate back up, and so is Frans. Bannigan can also cover at left back if necessary.

Miller appears to be an excellent professional. That's twice he's come back into the side and knitted in fine. No fitness issues unlike some other players when they've been out of the picture for a while. Also with Christie hopefully coming back into the squad we're covered at full back. We can also play three centrebacks if pushed with a wide player at wingback.

• Like 1

I said the same thing about miller last night.

Even after Lindsay gave him a slack pass and he had got himself out of trouble, he encouraged Lindsay rather than berate him.

I know everyone at Perth thought he was an excellent pro too.