How Many Points?

Auld Jag

I think the talk of Top-6 is very ambitious, especially since we have shown this season that we simply cannot beat top-6 clubs with the exception of St Johnstone at the moment.

I don't think it's that ambitious given we potentially don't need to beat any more top six sides to actually get into the top six.

Some teams make the top six almost purely on their great record against the bottom six. The year Motherwell finished second they had an incredible record against the bottom six, and just an okay record against other top six teams.

If I remember correctly they won every single game against bottom six teams home and away apart from one loss against Killie.

I think it will probably be just beyond us though. Would be happy with 7th-9th spot.

43 points will almost certainly get us in, 42 might. We did win 3 games in a row vs Killie, United, and County earlier in the season.

I don't think we'll manage it, if you offered me 2 wins including one vs Killie from the next 4 I'd be happy with that as we'd be almost safe by the split.

• Like 1

Stating the obvious, the most important outcome is another season in the Premier League.

We have improved our position each season since 2011/12. Finishing seventh would continue this great run. Simply surviving would see us in the top league for the longest period of my Jaggy lifetime.

Top six would be terrific but it's a tall order now.

We could be in a far worse position than we are now. I'm no' a Killie I'm a Jag, thank f**k.

Before today's results I thought that 42 would be enough for us to make top 6. But Ross County already have 40 in 6th place.with 3 games to go, I think we will need at least 2 wins and a draw, and hope Utd best Dundee tomorrow.

I only expected a draw today, but expected Motherwell and St Johnstone both to lose

St Johnstone - Dundee United (H), Kilmarnock (A)

Motherwell - Inverness (A), Celtic (H)

Ross County - Dundee (A), Us (H)

Dundee - Dundee United (A), Ross County (H), Celtic (H), Hamilton (A)

Inverness - Motherwell (H), Hearts (H), Dundee United (A)

I'm going to predict that St. Johnstone will get 4 (WD) points, Motherwell will get 1 (DL) Ross County won't get any from their match before us, Dundee will get 7 (DWLW) and Inverness will get 5 (DDW).

Which would leave it as:

St. Johnstone 47

Dundee 43

Motherwell 42

Inverness 41

Ross County 40

If all of that happens (which it won't) then if we win the next two then we'll make it with 43 before the County match. If not then we might have a classic in store at Dingwall.

Im not sure if they already are but the board should be offering the players a bonus for reaching the top 6. Its in our hands. 3 wins would definitely secure it. As some one else has said, the teams in the bottom 6 wont be likely to bring the same kind of support as we would if we finished in the top. Along with the prize money it would be massive for us and could stabilise the club for years.

Im not sure if they already are but the board should be offering the players a bonus for reaching the top 6. Its in our hands. 3 wins would definitely secure it. As some one else has said, the teams in the bottom 6 wont be likely to bring the same kind of support as we would if we finished in the top. Along with the prize money it would be massive for us and could stabilise the club for years.

The two home matches could be St.Johnstone / Motherwell. Meaningless matches and hardly massive money spinners. Even Hearts I doubt would bring that many.

Edited by Vaila Street

I would imagine they will be on a bonus for a top 6 finish. If we finish bottom 6 the home matches could be Hamilton & Dundee, so it won't make much difference either way, but surely the prize money and prestige of top 6 is worth it and it means we are guaranteed safety?

ross county, inverness on the other hand are lucky to bring 200 between them. motherwell would double that alone, hearts would double that again. along with that, you could at least go to the game and enjoy it without worrying about getting beat, plus even an outside chance of european football??? forget it, im getting carried away cos pogba scored

We can speculate about what crowds our opponents will bring but if we could just increase the home support by a few hundred that would make a difference as well. The next 2 games are very important ones and we are at home so lets see the Thistle support exceed the 2,000 or so it has been at for the last few games.

• Like 1

The two home matches could be St.Johnstone / Motherwell. Meaningless matches and hardly massive money spinners. Even Hearts I doubt would bring that many.

St Johnstone/Motherwell might be quite meaningful if European place still up for grabs, especially if we are in that mix . I appreciate that Hearts seem to be in a 3rd place bubble and are unlikely to go up or down from there. However, I suspect that their fans will be in celebratory mood towards the end of a fine season and will still travel in reasonable, if not their usual massive, numbers.

We can realistically achieve 43 points before the split, and maybe even more, the fact the other teams in around top 6 play each other and on paper have tougher games than us gives us a chance.

As long as we dont let ourselves down in the two winnable home games we will be within a whisker of top 6 which would be unbelievable.

• Like 1

We can realistically achieve 43 points before the split, and maybe even more, the fact the other teams in around top 6 play each other and on paper have tougher games than us gives us a chance. As long as we dont let ourselves down in the two winnable home games we will be within a whisker of top 6 which would be unbelievable.

A win and a draw in our next 2 games would be enough to set up a showdown in Dingwall. Whether that would be enough to also get ahead of Motherwell and Dundee would depend on other results (Motherwell away ICT and Dundee home Ross ... draw would be perfect). I think Saints are now out of sight pre-split.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

Edit to add: My predictor shows the final positions as

St. Johnstone 49 +6

Ross County 42 -5

Thistle 42 -5

=======================

Motherwell 42 -10

Dundee 41 -3

Inverness 40 -4

but I've not been very good in the prediction competitions, so as Murray Walker said

"Anything happens .... and it usually does"

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong"

Edited by Dick Dastardly

I think that Saints beating Hearts has probably blown our chance of 4th. If we make it, we are likely to be 5 or 6 points behind them post split, which will be tough to catch when 3 of the 5 games will be Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts.

But stranger Jaggy things have happened.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

I think that Saints beating Hearts has probably blown our chance of 4th. If we make it, we are likely to be 5 or 6 points behind them post split, which will be tough to catch when 3 of the 5 games will be Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts.

But stranger Jaggy things have happened.

no disagreement with your analysis, except forgetting you are, the perth saints are our bitches this season, so we're down to two or three points differential to potentially overcome.

jaggy dreams are best.