Jam Tarts 25/02/2017

Lindau

Isn't football a funny game. Adam Barton may be my player of the season, but he was poor today. Our defence which has been great with Barton, was magnificent today. Our team were ok today, yet we easily beat a top four team,

I do not think we played well today, yet won comfortably. A funny old game. But a great Saturday night.

That's one of the most professional performances I've seen us play for many a season. I liked how we didn't challenge all the time for first balls but concentrated on picking up second or loose balls. The professionalism of the victory is more obvious if you agree a few of our key players were for probably a variety reasons not exactly firing on all cylinders.

• Like 1

Devine anchors Keown & Lindsay, three at the back with two good full backs looking solid, then Elliot came on.

Hearts manager at fault for not subbing 77.... it was a cast iron certainty he was going to get sent off.... If Dools could head a ball and not just let the ball hit his head.......what a miss. Then Archie brings on Adey to make it ten a side. Over all the ref was ok but could have sent the big 77 off sooner.......MOTM Devine.............

• Like 1

I always worry that we won't hold on to a lead...and we have certainly conceded goals when in a winning position on many occasions in the last few seasons. Although our goal came early, I was unusually confident that we were on for win...that's a real tribute to how good our defence was...Keown & Devine were very solid and Lindsay has stepped up to look a confident & competent defender. The whole side were committed and pressured the opposition all over the park...it was an easy shut-out for Cerny.

I was a bit worried about our midfield and although Barton has some good moments, his languid style isn't really suited to the quick tackling & passing that's needed particularly on the rutted Firhill playing surface. Fortunately Osman had a storming game...I wasn't sure why he was stretching to keep the ball in when it looked like our corner but his quick ball in was brilliantly finished by Big Liam.

Doolan & Erskine are a good partnership up front...I just knew when the ball fell to him in the box that Dools would stick it in the corner of the net.

Hearts had no Heart. The No.46 (Sowah?) was obligingly hopeless...and the toys out the pram tantrum from the No.12 when Azeez won a corner off him late on summed up their petulant attitude...the chant of "You're wearing gloves, it's not even cold" was spot on...they have some big powerful guys, hoofed the ball a lot but couldn't deal with Thistle standing their ground.

I'm getting used to comfortable home wins against teams who don't look as good as us...the last three seasons we drew or lost these games.

• Like 1

Great result.

Defence were terrific, not sure I've seen a Jags player win as many headers as Keown did today! Devine and Lindsay excellent as well.

Not sure I agree about Barton being poor. He had a bad spell in the 2nd half where he kept dwelling on the ball for 10-15 minutes but outwith that I thought he looked very comfortable in his midfield role.

Edwards isn't the greatest when it comes to distribution but his work rate and persistance in closing down is excellent and brings something much needed to the team.

Not a failure in the side today, still think Doolan should have buried his first half header though!

Quick word on Hearts, their discipline today was disgraceful. Numerous players throwing themselves to the ground. mouthing off at the ref, constantly arguing with Thistle players.

They got exactly what their weak performace deserved.

Lastly, I hope Dumbuya is ok. He was brilliant in the 1st half but took some hefty kicks in the process. Christie slotted in admirably at right back in his absence.

All in, a great day for the Jags!

Excellent result!!

Well done to the Jags!

And a happy Saturday night to all Jags fans wherever you are in this world!!

Koh samui, Thailand, 11.35 pm Sunday morning atop a sun lounger with an ice cold beer in hand: just finished watching full replay 'live' in temperature of 85f. A very, very happy camper...

Outstanding team performance.

Hearts just couldnt deal with the front 3 of Edwards, Erskine and Doolan who chased everything off the ball and linked up superbly when in possession.

Likewise at the other end, our back 3 were in total control. Keown won everything, Devine marshalled them and Lindsay put in a MOTM performance for the second week in a row.

Booth and Dumbuya were great on the wing but I dont think Muzzy is anywhere near his previoud form and fitness.

In the middle of the park Osman and Barton werent stand outs, but both were influential elsewhere. Osman with his assist and Barton wide left in what looked like an old Lambie tactic.

Special mention for all 3 subs who kept the momentum going. Azeez was rapid not giving them a second. Lawless was 6 ft tall and Christie was great down the right.

2 to go for Dools. The scripts been written for 100 to take us to Hampden.

• Like 2

Great result.

Defence were terrific, not sure I've seen a Jags player win as many headers as Keown did today! Devine and Lindsay excellent as well.

Not sure I agree about Barton being poor. He had a bad spell in the 2nd half where he kept dwelling on the ball for 10-15 minutes but outwith that I thought he looked very comfortable in his midfield role.

Edwards isn't the greatest when it comes to distribution but his work rate and persistance in closing down is excellent and brings something much needed to the team.

Not a failure in the side today, still think Doolan should have buried his first half header though!

Quick word on Hearts, their discipline today was disgraceful. Numerous players throwing themselves to the ground. mouthing off at the ref, constantly arguing with Thistle players.

They got exactly what their weak performace deserved.

Lastly, I hope Dumbuya is ok. He was brilliant in the 1st half but took some hefty kicks in the process. Christie slotted in admirably at right back in his absence.

All in, a great day for the Jags!

i think the ref brought that on himself,though. Early in the game he wanted to talk to their No.4 after a bad tackle on the centre line. The guy just kept walking away despite the ref blowing his whistle 3 or 4 times to get his attention. Should have booked him right there and then

Onwards and upwards!

The next two games will tell us whether we have turned a corner or not.

Quite astonishing turn around since, what, Christmas when we were sitting bottom?

Hopefully I can get the Doolan 100 scarves out!

Exciting times to be a jags fan.

Got to give enormous credit to the management team particularly in the way they seem to find players who ooze class. And, perhaps unsurprisingly develop defenders through thick and thin. They also seem to have grown into game management in a hugely positive way.

It is interesting that our prime assets, are all on longer term contracts. Can we keep Keown, please?

Edited by douglas clark

One of my favourite bits from yesterday was Lawless ushering the ball out for a goal kick by bullying their number 23 - despite being 6 inches shorter and about 3 stone lighter! 3 points yesterday was the perfect 50th birthday pressie from the Jags to me and (despite what those fuds on Sportscene think) I think St Johnstone and Hearts are catchable if we keep playing the way we are at the moment. Onwards and very much upwards.....

• Like 3

One of my favourite bits from yesterday was Lawless ushering the ball out for a goal kick by bullying their number 23 - despite being 6 inches shorter and about 3 stone lighter!

Best part of that was about 5 jags players high fiving him for doing it. Seems to be a real team spirit at the club just now

• Like 4

Hearts just couldnt deal with the front 3 of Edwards, Erskine and Doolan who chased everything off the ball and linked up superbly when in possession.

Likewise at the other end, our back 3 were in total control. Keown won everything, Devine marshalled them and Lindsay put in a MOTM performance for the second week in a row.

Booth and Dumbuya were great on the wing but I dont think Muzzy is anywhere near his previoud form and fitness.

In the middle of the park Osman and Barton werent stand outs, but both were influential elsewhere. Osman with his assist and Barton wide left in what looked like an old Lambie tactic.

Special mention for all 3 subs who kept the momentum going. Azeez was rapid not giving them a second. Lawless was 6 ft tall and Christie was great down the right.

Agree with nearly all of that but I think that was one of Abs better recent games yesterday. If any player was slightly below par yesterday it was big Adam, but I put that down to the strange role he was asked to play.

• Like 1

Watched the match on Jagszone and agree with all the comments above. Really pleased that Devine is now playing consistently well after a rough start in a Jags shirt. But as stated above all 14 contributed to a great performance though Thomas got his win bonus for nothing this week.

BTW the BBC in their preview had a feature on Christie Elliot returning to the starting 11. Well he's certainly shrunk during his suspension but I loved his new haircut. So was that big Muzzy coming on in the second half?

All the best to Archie and the boys for Dundee and Aberdeen next week. Hope I don't confuse our full backs at Pittodrie on Saturday.

yep I reckon Azeez was brought onto to never give their defence a break and he did that perfectly, he did exactly what was asked of him. His goal scoring record is not the best and he maybe suited to a more winger type role, with his bags of energy. Very much a team player and was a nice touch to also see him applauding Dools as he was waiting to come on the field to replace him