Dundee 01/03/2017

Lindau

Yet another bizarre set of midweek fixtures before Scottish Cup weekend. Surely these could be kept free, so that teams can concentrate on the Cup, if they have been lucky to get to the quarter final stage! Anyway, if Muzzy is fit I would go with the same team as Saturday. Both teams in good form. Think we will sneak it 1-0

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

We're well capable of winning this one although Dundee are on decent form compared with our previous two meetings. Although that form can be tempered with they're last two wins coming against a rudderless Rangers team and a Motherwell side in steep decline playing a very inexperienced centre half pairing. I suppose the same could be cast at us but I've been impressed with the overall teamwork and strategy employed by our side since the St Johnstone cup game.

My main worry is eyes and minds drifting towards Sunday as it's one of our biggest games in recent times. However the manager will have things focussed on the game on Wednesday and I feel it'll be another positive step as we look to move up the table and give the cup tie with Aberdeen a real go after previous barren cup campaigns.

Dundee played well on Saturday but they didn't have to work too hard for their goals. Seem to be going to more of a 4-4-2 so a similar formation employed by Thistle on Saturday could bear fruit.

I would argue that this match is as, if not more important than Sunday. It would open a very sizeable gap between the bottom clubs and keep us in contention for 6th should we win. A draw would be a good result here also. Were at the business end of the season now where every game is a cup final. Its a happy hunting ground for Azeez, can he do it again?

Like ian_mac and some others, I'd take a draw on Weds if it meant we could compete well on Sunday

Agree and perhaps the management will too. With that in mind I can see Erskine and Dumbuya not starting at Dens, maybe Doolan as well. I think the three at the back may be retained for both games. Not necessarily purely for tactical reasons as much as with Welsh out we're that bit lighter in midfield.

There seems to be a BBC inspired move which has spread into the official website and even into the fanbase and on to this forum to call Muzzy "DUMBUYA" just because a rather ordinary Inverness striker has his surname spelled that way.

I am sure that DUMBAYA is correct, to rhyme perfectly with KUM BA YAH.

#reclaimuzzysurname

There seems to be a BBC inspired move which has spread into the official website and even into the fanbase and on to this forum to call Muzzy "DUMBUYA" just because a rather ordinary Inverness striker has his surname spelled that way.

I am sure that DUMBAYA is correct, to rhyme perfectly with KUM BA YAH.

#reclaimuzzysurname

I don't think the (former) Caley striker's name has anything to do with it - it's spelled 'Doumbouya'.

Muzzy's name is definitely spelled 'Dumbuya' but any time I've heard the name said by someone related to the club, be it the PA on matchdays, the management team in interviews, or just fans in the stand, it does seem to be pronounced 'Doombaya'.

Edited by Roque

I don't think the (former) Caley striker's name has anything to do with it - it's spelled 'Doumbouya'. Muzzy's name is definitely spelled 'Dumbuya' but any time I've heard the name said by someone related to the club, be it the PA on matchdays, the management team in interviews, or just fans in the stand, it does seem to be pronounced 'Doombaya'.

I have scoured the internet looking for alternative facts, but in the end I have to admit that you are right and I am wrong. The #reclaimuzzysurname has been suspended before Donald Trump jumps on the bandwagon, and I have with good grace handed back my temporarily awarded Oscar for Social Media Campaign of the Century.

I did find a brilliant video of Muzzy's best bits at Portsmouth a few seasons back. Even at 75/80% just now he is a great player for us, but if he can get back to 95% plus, he is going to be amazing. Credit to Archie and the scouting team for uncovering hidden gems like Muzzy and Adam Barton, and convincing them to sign for Thistle.

If I can address a point more directly related to tomorrow night's match, someone has posted on one of the threads that it was time that Adam had a settled role in Thistle's first choice team. I would disagree (in a very friendly manner!). The fact that one moment he plays like Scott Paterson and the next like Martin Hardie gives Archie a tremendous arsenal of options and keeps the opponents guessing. I still think that the opening (and only) goal at Perth came about because St Johnstone had not figured out what Adam was doing.

• Like 1

It's funny, as this game takes me back to our last 1/4 Final Replay at Firhill against Rangers. We had a stuffy game against Stirling Albion on the Wednesday before we played them, and won 1-0 thanks to Paul Keegan I think. Graham Eaglesham, Pedram Ardalany, and Mooc all played. Now that we are chasing Top-6, I don't see Archie resting many. But I'd be happy with a point, and no casualties.

It's funny, as this game takes me back to our last 1/4 Final Replay at Firhill against Rangers. We had a stuffy game against Stirling Albion on the Wednesday before we played them, and won 1-0 thanks to Paul Keegan I think. Graham Eaglesham, Pedram Ardalany, and Mooc all played. Now that we are chasing Top-6, I don't see Archie resting many. But I'd be happy with a point, and no casualties.

that was a dreadful team, weirdly enough I was thinking of Pedram Ardalny today for some reason and wondering who he was playing with now.

*shivers at the idea of Paul Keegan playing for us*