Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
javeajag

McCall and Next Season....

Recommended Posts

Penrice's form has been inconsistent, but he does have some remarkable skills which he occasionally deploys to effect. One example was the control and finish against Falkirk, where he was most unfortunate to be penalised for an allegedly high foot.

He also has a very dry and self-deprecatory sense of humour, which is sometimes able to overcome even the best efforts of the Jagzone interviewers to force players into cliched responses.

I would like to see him develop both his football skills and his sense of humour at Firhill. Hopefully there is more to come in both departments, and on a more regular basis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Penrice's form has been inconsistent, but he does have some remarkable skills which he occasionally deploys to effect. One example was the control and finish against Falkirk, where he was most unfortunate to be penalised for an allegedly high foot.

He also has a very dry and self-deprecatory sense of humour, which is sometimes able to overcome even the best efforts of the Jagzone interviewers to force players into cliched responses.

I would like to see him develop both his football skills and his sense of humour at Firhill. Hopefully there is more to come in both departments, and on a more regular basis.

Surely we should’ve kept Joke Ardle to improve Penners sense of humour? Maybe we should approach Jim Jefferies for the managers position?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Penrice's form has been inconsistent, but he does have some remarkable skills which he occasionally deploys to effect. One example was the control and finish against Falkirk, where he was most unfortunate to be penalised for an allegedly high foot.

He also has a very dry and self-deprecatory sense of humour, which is sometimes able to overcome even the best efforts of the Jagzone interviewers to force players into cliched responses.

I would like to see him develop both his football skills and his sense of humour at Firhill. Hopefully there is more to come in both departments, and on a more regular basis.

"...which is sometimes able to overcome even the best efforts of the Jagzone interviewers to force players into cliched responses."

Yep; excruciating at times (well, just about all the time!).

Penrice would definitely be a positive asset in our aim to get to the promotion play-off places (at least) next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jags on tour said:

Surely we should’ve kept Joke Ardle to improve Penners sense of humour? Maybe we should approach Jim Jefferies for the managers position?

Jim Jefferies!!??

Maybe I should start a poll/new thread on who is the most miserable moany-faced manager (note the alliteration) in the history of Scottish football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Jim Jefferies!!??

Maybe I should start a poll/new thread on who is the most miserable moany-faced manager (note the alliteration) in the history of Scottish football. 

No contest. Big Wul wins by a country mile :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Jim Jefferies!!??

Maybe I should start a poll/new thread on who is the most miserable moany-faced manager (note the alliteration) in the history of Scottish football. 

Jim Mclean was a dour faced manager. He also packed a punch.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Jim Jefferies!!??

Maybe I should start a poll/new thread on who is the most miserable moany-faced manager (note the alliteration) in the history of Scottish football. 

JJ is also the name of an Australian comedian, obviously not very well known!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, laukat said:

I hope not. Spittal would be the wrong type of player to go for. No pace, only occassionally contributes and tend to hide when the going gets tough.

His best season for us was in a poor Caldwell team. That didn't make him good it just made him better than poor.

In that case Doolan and Erskine were very poor because Spittal was far better than them the 2 seasons he was with us

its also utter rubbish to say he hides - given he was player of the year there were clearly far more hiding than him

he maybe is not the quickest but he scores goals and provides assists 

by the looks of things he is in talks with County over a new contract so is probably not an option anyway 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2021 at 7:21 AM, Dick Dastardly said:

If you look at how easily Morton put away Airdrie, there is a big jump in standard between League One and the Championship. Anything 8th or above would be a great success. Without a massive investment, or a lot of luck, back to back promotion is pie in the sky.

On this point, I just came across this bonkers statistic on p and b: 
“In the last ten years only one League 1 champion hasn’t finished in the top five, and that was Cowdenbeath who finished 8th and avoided relegation which I’m sure was success for them.”

I’m sure we’re capable of bucking the trend though ;) 

Edited by Duke Gekantawa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Just out of curiosity why would you not want Spittal? He was our player of the year when he last played in the championship- more than capable of getting us goals in this league 

When we first signed Spittal I had mixed feelings. 

Firstly I recall that he burst on the scene with Dundee Utd causing havoc to opposition defences and scoring goals. He failed to sustain this level of contribution and gradually dropped down the pecking order. 

He did the same with us. 

He has had good spells with Ross Co but even with them there have been periods were he has been anonymous! 

Its only my opinion but I just don't think he is a player you can count on when games are tight, the team is under pressure and  you need to grind out results. In other words he doesn't strike me as being a player who has a strong and determined character and would be an asset to a team that is going to have to fight for every point. I think saying that he hides when the going gets tough is a bit harsh. I think it's more a case that he fades/falls out of a game too easily and especially when things are not going his way he doesn't have the character to fight his way back into the game! 

If we sign midfielders and attackers they need to have the type of attitude that players like Docherty and Foster show week in and week out! 

Apologies for the lengthy response but that's why I don't want to sign Spittal! 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

On this point, I just came across this bonkers statistic on p and b: 
“In the last ten years only one League 1 champion hasn’t finished in the top five, and that was Cowdenbeath who finished 8th and avoided relegation which I’m sure was success for them.”

I’m sure we’re capable of bucking the trend though ;) 

This coming season isn’t one that will necessarily conform to the norm, given what has happened financially to clubs last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

This coming season isn’t one that will necessarily conform to the norm, given what has happened financially to clubs last season. 

Agree. This time last year amongst the things we were discussing was how many clubs would survive if no fans were allowed in. Clubs have been helped by the Anderson money, Scottish Government money and donations from fans. Will be very interesting to see how things work out financially for clubs this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

This coming season isn’t one that will necessarily conform to the norm, given what has happened financially to clubs last season. 

I too agree but judging on history it wouldn't be too wild a guess if one club gambles money they don't have on promotion (or to avoid relegation for that matter). Having said that with the absence of the serial offenders it's hard to pick a likely "gambling club". Killie possibly but other past culprits like Morton and QoS don't have the benefactors of old. I'm not too sure about Pars but you'd think with what they've been thru they'd desist. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I too agree but judging on history it wouldn't be too wild a guess if one club gambles money they don't have on promotion (or to avoid relegation for that matter). Having said that with the absence of the serial offenders it's hard to pick a likely "gambling club". Killie possibly but other past culprits like Morton and QoS don't have the benefactors of old. I'm not too sure about Pars but you'd think with what they've been thru they'd desist. 

 

Dunfermline of course have taken some German investment, and I believe the German investment group intend to move to a majority 75% shareholding position in due course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jaf said:

Dunfermline of course have taken some German investment, and I believe the German investment group intend to move to a majority 75% shareholding position in due course. 

So how does an investment group get a return on its money? It's one thing a rich businessman investing his/her own cash because they love the club but this is unexplainable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I too agree but judging on history it wouldn't be too wild a guess if one club gambles money they don't have on promotion (or to avoid relegation for that matter). Having said that with the absence of the serial offenders it's hard to pick a likely "gambling club". Killie possibly but other past culprits like Morton and QoS don't have the benefactors of old. I'm not too sure about Pars but you'd think with what they've been thru they'd desist. 

 

We are not exactly innocent ourselves .... Skippy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scotty said:

So how does an investment group get a return on its money? It's one thing a rich businessman investing his/her own cash because they love the club but this is unexplainable.

I guess it is whatever dividend is decided(assuming the club is profitable) and whatever they get when they sell. In Dunfermline’s, I would imagine the goal is promotion to the premiership and the increased income that results in ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2021 at 4:28 PM, partickthedog said:

Jim Jefferies!!??

Maybe I should start a poll/new thread on who is the most miserable moany-faced manager (note the alliteration) in the history of Scottish football. 

Wins this @Big Wull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I too agree but judging on history it wouldn't be too wild a guess if one club gambles money they don't have on promotion (or to avoid relegation for that matter). Having said that with the absence of the serial offenders it's hard to pick a likely "gambling club". Killie possibly but other past culprits like Morton and QoS don't have the benefactors of old. I'm not too sure about Pars but you'd think with what they've been thru they'd desist. 

 

Do Killie still not have a 'benefactor'?  A local wealthy individual has been bankrolling them since the Johnston era! 

Not certain but I think he is still there controlling the purse strings. That's why they were able to afford Clarke, Boyd, O'Donnell and others. 

If he is still bankrolling them I wouldn't be surprised if they do a Dundee Utd and make a few 'mark' signings in the next month or so! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Do Killie still not have a 'benefactor'?  A local wealthy individual has been bankrolling them since the Johnston era! 

Not certain but I think he is still there controlling the purse strings. That's why they were able to afford Clarke, Boyd, O'Donnell and others. 

If he is still bankrolling them I wouldn't be surprised if they do a Dundee Utd and make a few 'mark' signings in the next month or so! 

Billy Boyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We are not exactly innocent ourselves .... Skippy

Are you referring to the support from the Weir Family? 

If you are I think there is a big distinction to be made between the Weir Family support and support given to other clubs and their benefactors. In the latter case benefactors were prepared to devote/target funding directly to first team signings, for example, Killie/Boyd and DundeeUtd/Shankland! 

With the Jags Weir Funding went into the Academy and was also targeted on a Training Centre which subsequently went to buying the club/stadium to be transferred to fan ownership! Weir Funding as far as I am aware did not go directly to funding player signings or the first team squad! 

The above is based on what I have drawn from a variety of media sources so there may be. Inaccuracies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Billy Boyle.

Yes your right! Thank you! 

The most recent info I have on his support (a couple of years out of date) is that Killie owe him in the region of £1 million (if not a lot more by now) ! 

Thanks again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×