Will we be dancing on the streets of Raith?

westertonjagfan

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

An interesting opinion on P&B after the Morton defeat from an Ayr fan. He says that McCall's teams tended to start running out of steam around February. Effectively saying that they sleep walk into the end of the season.

I noticed Ayr did fall away after great starts actually. But I don’t know how much McCall has been held back on decisions here and my genuine opinion is McCall was expecting to sign Grthiffs and then went tits up. 

Like I’ve said I have given McCall every bit of praise he deserves and I don’t think we would be in a better position without him, but there isn’t a balance to that team at all. 

And surely without runners you think Turners corners had a good effect at the start of the season.. without Tiff that could have a big impact on us grabbing a goal. So for once GRE I agree McCall needs to have a look at what he is doing.

1 hour ago, Flycatcher said:

The Bottom line is .....

This squad isn't good enough to get up.

Reason is not enough goals to squeeze into a play off place. No goals in three games..

Blaming the pitch isn't the answer.

I agree we are stuttering but I don't see any reason why we should not make the play offs. Regarding goals. We have scored one less than arbroath and more than killie, ICT and Raith! We still have those games in hand . Its too close to call but there is little between the times as the number of draws shows. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

An interesting opinion on P&B after the Morton defeat from an Ayr fan. He says that McCall's teams tended to start running out of steam around February. Effectively saying that they sleep walk into the end of the season.

His team didn't run out of steam, or sleepwalk anywhere last season.

The teams at the foot of the table have pretty much all improved since the start of the year.  Disappointing result for us. Still to beat Arbroath, but over the final quarter, the fight for play off places will be tight. 

Edited by East Kent Jag II
Wrong team!!
  • Like 2

In isolation yesterday's result wasn't a particularly bad outcome. Better teams than us would've struggled in those conditions and on  plastic. Can't even fault McCall for not having a Plan B. Where he was at fault was his Plan B was about as useless as his Plan A. We played with a lack of width at times that would've embarrassed Alf Ramsey. OK, I can accept to a degree the absence of Tiffoney is a major factor re how effective we are down the flanks. I can also accept without Tiffoney we may have to alter the emphasis and play more thru the centre.

What I'm more miffed about is despite our shortage of effective attacking width, not one of our four full backs can charge forward/overlap with whoever is playing wide mid. I can't fault our fullbacks defensively. They're not comfortable in a wingback type role, fair enough. If they were then playing the likes of Turner, Crawford, Smith in a wide position wouldn't nearly be so fruitless. There's so little product down the flanks (sans Tiff) I almost miss Bambi Williamson. Guess I've taken that too far, but in isolation yesterday's result wasn't that bad or alarming given the positional make up of the squad.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

30 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

In isolation yesterday's result wasn't a particularly bad outcome. Better teams than us would've struggled in those conditions and on  plastic. Can't even fault McCall for not having a Plan B. Where he was at fault was his Plan B was about as useless as his Plan A. We played with a lack of width at times that would've embarrassed Alf Ramsey. OK, I can accept to a degree the absence of Tiffoney is a major factor re how effective we are down the flanks. I can also accept without Tiffoney we may have to alter the emphasis and play more thru the centre.

What I'm more miffed about is despite our shortage of effective attacking width, not one of our four full backs can charge forward/overlap with whoever is playing wide mid. I can't fault our fullbacks defensively. They're not comfortable in a wingback type role, fair enough. If they were then playing the likes of Turner, Crawford, Smith in a wide position wouldn't nearly be so fruitless. There's so little product down the flanks (sans Tiff) I almost miss Bambi Williamson. Guess I've taken that too far, but in isolation yesterday's result wasn't that bad or alarming given the positional make up of the squad.

Yeah. We miss a marauding wing back like George Mackie.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, partickthedog said:

That brings back memories. I first went to Firhill with school friends in the mid 1970s. No one else seemed to notice or rate George Mackie, but I thought he was brilliant!

Yeah. Tough defender and fairly flew down the wing. I remember him flying down the wing at Firhill to cross a beauty for Somner( I think) to head in at the near post. V. Motherwell. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Looking at the fixtures and I noticed that the last set is on a Friday night? That's unusual!

Pure guess from me. Maybe BBC Scotland has a live game, so that no team gets an advantage all games kick off the same day and time because it is the last round of fixtures. As i say just a guess from me.

Read on P&B that Raith fans think their teams performance was the best they have played since about November.  So perhaps a draw at Kirkcaldy is not such a bad result.

They do, though, regret the lack of a recognised striker, are bemused by the manager' team selection,  baffled by the selection and timing of substitutions and  the way the team is set up in terms of the formation .

I think as Jags we can sympathise with some of the above.

Just noticed this: the last two matches (and maybe more; haven't checked), Thistle have kicked off. Ball immediately goes back to midfield, from where it gets punted, overhit, to the wing and directly out for a shy to the opposition.  Possession immediately lost each time, less than 10 seconds into the match. 

I'm not a manager, so I'm obviously missing the brilliance behind this tactic. 

10 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Just noticed this: the last two matches (and maybe more; haven't checked), Thistle have kicked off. Ball immediately goes back to midfield, from where it gets punted, overhit, to the wing and directly out for a shy to the opposition.  Possession immediately lost each time, less than 10 seconds into the match. 

This is a long-standing tried and tested tactic. That's why Thistle teams get it right all the time - practice.

11 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Something I find equally annoying but has been happening for as long as I can remember. I can only imagine it puts the opposition in a defensive position where we can try and win the ball back but as you say why not hold on to it in the first place?

On 2/27/2022 at 2:10 AM, dl1971 said:

I agree we are stuttering but I don't see any reason why we should not make the play offs. Regarding goals. We have scored one less than arbroath and more than killie, ICT and Raith! We still have those games in hand . Its too close to call but there is little between the times as the number of draws shows. 

And the bottom 5 are closing in. We are as close to Ayr as we are to Arbroath. This is very far from being a top 5 bottom 5 split and it would not surprise me if one of the current bottom 5 made the playoffs 

• Like 1