Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Thistle88

Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

By sheer coincidence I saw Mbappe in Edinburgh last night. He truly is world class. I'm talking about Etienne Mbappé the great electric bassist who was playing alongside arguably the greatest living guitarist, John McLaughlin. Most certainly didn't disappoint.    

Can he play centre mid?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Did think McMillan looked reasonable first time round, and If a Livingston reject proves to be anything near as effective as Tiffoney then I'll be chuffed.

Other side of the coin, hopefully I'm wrong, but a full back that can play centreback is unlikely to also be an attack minded fullback/wingback. So where does that leave Milne? Are we -planning to attack down the left side and defend down the right? McCall's got previous with that sort of imbalance and I'm not meaning last season's folly when we played without a wide right midfielder. 

Good tho' he was, Tiffoney was hampered last season by the opposition easily doubling up on him as we had no real threat from the other flank. Unless McCall is planning to play Milne as a wide right midfielder, which I really doubt, to play a balanced side it looks like we're still going to need an attacking midfielder playing wide right AND an attacking fullback. So please tell me McMillan will do the biz going forward as our other right back, Muirhead certainly can't. Christie Elliott can but even if we were to sign him, I doubt he's what you'd call a first team starter.

Understand your reservations & both his & Muirhead's signing are slightly underwhelming. I'll therefore try & put a positive spin on this. His loan spell suggests he will be an upgrade on Foster & McKenna. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Understand your reservations & both his & Muirhead's signing are slightly underwhelming. I'll therefore try & put a positive spin on this. His loan spell suggests he will be an upgrade on Foster & McKenna. 

Me and my dog would be an upgrade on those 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                                        Sneddon

         Mcmillan     Akinola     Holt   Milne 

                Docherty   Turner  Bannigan

                 Dowds     Graham   Tiffoney

Decent enough looking starting 11 that. Definitely need another striker, at least one (winger,Attacking mid) for the right hand side. And midfield we couldn’t probably do with a nasty presence (ball winner) whatever you want to call it and I’m assuming Crawford will be the other one. And obviously another keeper.

Is the boy Lyon ready to step up yet? McCall seemed very confident he would be fighting for a starting place this season. I didn’t really hear how he got on with his loan spell.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sandy said:

Let’s agree to disagree. We both have different opinions. 

Very passive aggressive 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Difficult to judge McMillan based on his spell under Caldwell. I have recollections of Caldwell playing him at leftback and centrehalf which didn't look like his natural position and it couldn't have been great for a young players confidence to be part of a defence that had McGinty, Elliot and Saunders as regulars or be able to show much attacking intent when the midfield protection was Bannigan, Slater and at times Harkins.

At 24 years old, having played a decent amount of games at a higher level and being a more natural rightback  you would think he would be a decent signing.

The defensive options look to be significantly stronger so far. We already have 4 centreback options with Akinola, Brownlie, Holt and Muirhead. Fullback options of Milne, McMillan with backup from Muirhead and Holt. Its hard not see how the business done so far isn't an upgrade on losing Bell, Foster, McKenna and Hendrie. If we get Mayo back that looks like a very decent defensive pool.

McCall says in his interview that he's looking for a squad of 21. Adding McMillan and the players on PCA's we have 14 players signed assuming my Maths is correct. You would wonder if Niang and Smith will still be here so we we've still got a lot of business to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

                                        Sneddon

         Mcmillan     Akinola     Holt   Milne 

                Docherty   Turner  Bannigan

                 Dowds     Graham   Tiffoney

Emphasising my point. Width down the left. Hee-haw down the right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, G SUS said:

I think he was backed but didn’t spend his money wisely. 
 

He was able to add Crawford and McAllister early in the window, two Premiership players so there was clearly money there. 
 

There was talk in December of getting a player from Hibs(might have been evening times reporting it) and their change of manager maybe hindered that. The increase in subs in the Premiership mid-January also didn’t help as players who were bombed out and might have been good targets were suddenly back in the picture. 
 

The Rudden situation affected the entire window and is the sole reason we were weaker, we didn’t get an appropriate reinforcement, not down to the Board ‘penny pinching’ in my opinion.

McAlister signed on the last day of the window and not early on.  He did not spend his money wisely with Crawford agreed and with McAllister agreed.  However at the time I can see why we signed McAllister and on paper it looked a good signing, although the target was Morrison not McAllister.  It turned out to be a disaster of a signing because he barely played.  While blame can be attached to McCall on many things - he can not be blamed for signing McAllister and knowing he was going to be injured.

Regarding the board they wrongly gambled on us receiving a large fee with Rudden when we didnt get a penny.  The final decision on selling players rests on the board, they thought the Rudden money would allow other signings didnt happen.  There has also been plenty of uncertainty about how skint we were - the Due diligence refusal didnt exactly set my mind at ease.  Jackubiak and Allegria were barely on the radar but there was no money for anyone else (granted in my opinion he should not have wasted money on crawford or McCallister (but I see why we signed McAllsiter though it turned out to be a disastrous signing).  Jackubiaks wages 90 per cent paid for by Dundee, Allegrias full wage by Rangers - why were they signed at last minute if as you argue they were our targets and could have been signed far earlier given financially we were paying little - we would have got them in far far earlier otherwise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Did think McMillan looked reasonable first time round, and If a Livingston reject proves to be anything near as effective as Tiffoney then I'll be chuffed.

Other side of the coin, hopefully I'm wrong, but a full back that can play centreback is unlikely to also be an attack minded fullback/wingback. So where does that leave Milne? Are we -planning to attack down the left side and defend down the right? McCall's got previous with that sort of imbalance and I'm not meaning last season's folly when we played without a wide right midfielder. 

Good tho' he was, Tiffoney was hampered last season by the opposition easily doubling up on him as we had no real threat from the other flank. Unless McCall is planning to play Milne as a wide right midfielder, which I really doubt, to play a balanced side it looks like we're still going to need an attacking midfielder playing wide right AND an attacking fullback. So please tell me McMillan will do the biz going forward as our other right back, Muirhead certainly can't. Christie Elliott can but even if we were to sign him, I doubt he's what you'd call a first team starter.

Aside from McMillan and Tiffoney I think there have been other decent moves between the clubs over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

                                        Sneddon

         Mcmillan     Akinola     Holt   Milne 

                Docherty   Turner  Bannigan

                 Dowds     Graham   Tiffoney

Decent enough looking starting 11 that. Definitely need another striker, at least one (winger,Attacking mid) for the right hand side. And midfield we couldn’t probably do with a nasty presence (ball winner) whatever you want to call it and I’m assuming Crawford will be the other one. And obviously another keeper.

Is the boy Lyon ready to step up yet? McCall seemed very confident he would be fighting for a starting place this season. I didn’t really hear how he got on with his loan spell.

 

 

Think it will be Brownlie ahead of Akinola ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Accies free Moyo,big strong striker/good in the air …although never forgiven him for spoiling a potential 6 nil battering of Accies at start of season .

Would  take him in a heartbeat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

McAlister signed on the last day of the window and not early on.  He did not spend his money wisely with Crawford agreed and with McAllister agreed.  However at the time I can see why we signed McAllister and on paper it looked a good signing, although the target was Morrison not McAllister.  It turned out to be a disaster of a signing because he barely played.  While blame can be attached to McCall on many things - he can not be blamed for signing McAllister and knowing he was going to be injured.

Regarding the board they wrongly gambled on us receiving a large fee with Rudden when we didnt get a penny.  The final decision on selling players rests on the board, they thought the Rudden money would allow other signings didnt happen.  There has also been plenty of uncertainty about how skint we were - the Due diligence refusal didnt exactly set my mind at ease.  Jackubiak and Allegria were barely on the radar but there was no money for anyone else (granted in my opinion he should not have wasted money on crawford or McCallister (but I see why we signed McAllsiter though it turned out to be a disastrous signing).  Jackubiaks wages 90 per cent paid for by Dundee, Allegrias full wage by Rangers - why were they signed at last minute if as you argue they were our targets and could have been signed far earlier given financially we were paying little - we would have got them in far far earlier otherwise

My mistake - I was convinced that McAllister was signed around the time of the Killie game(15th) but can see he was a later signing. Calum Morrison wasn’t a target - he might have been available but the manager didn’t pursue that interest after doing his due diligence by meeting the player(in a similar way he knocked back Kai Kennedy in the summer). 

I never at any point said Alegria or Jakubiak were targets, can you point to where I did? 

I said the board backed the manager, the money was there. He just didn’t utilise it in the right way/spent it wrongly. There were reasons for that (such as Hibs, Aberdeen and St Mirren changing their manager and the re-introduction of nine subs in the Prem) but it wasn’t down to ‘penny pinching’ by the board as you claim(unless you can prove otherwise).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

                                        Sneddon

         Mcmillan     Akinola     Holt   Milne 

                Docherty   Turner  Bannigan

                 Dowds     Graham   Tiffoney

Decent enough looking starting 11 that. Definitely need another striker, at least one (winger,Attacking mid) for the right hand side. And midfield we couldn’t probably do with a nasty presence (ball winner) whatever you want to call it and I’m assuming Crawford will be the other one. And obviously another keeper.

Is the boy Lyon ready to step up yet? McCall seemed very confident he would be fighting for a starting place this season. I didn’t really hear how he got on with his loan spell.

 

 

At this stage of the transfer window with so few players signed that is a starting 11 that would hold its own in this league. However I suspect Graham will not start many this year and will be primarily used off the bench unless Dowds and whoever else we sign at striker does not cut it.

Niang and Smith not making the 11 when we barely have enough signed players to fill all positions indicates how far down the pecking order they are. 

I would hope this season that we start to use Turner instead of Bannigan. Don't think the Bannigan, Turner and Docherty as a midfield 3 work and to me we need to start thinking about how we replace Bannigan.

Back 4 looks decent but we need someone at centreback who can come out with the ball and play a pass. I think thats why McCall wants Mayo back and if he gets him its hard to see where Akinola fits as Brownlie would at worst be backup.

The 11 at the moment looks a decent balance in defence but we need to sign wide players in midfield and attack. Perhaps there is more to the Fotheringham and Maxwell rumours as both can play wide? If we go with Kennedy, Maxwell and Tiffoney as wide players we're probably going to have to play a tall centre forward partly to get on the end of crosses but partly to help in defence as we could have a lack of height elsewhere. 

I see Ayr have resigned themselves to losing both McInroy and Adeloye. Wonder if we're interested in either? 

 

Edited by laukat
Mixing up Fotheringham with Kennedy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is Fotheringham? Happy enough with JM signing, decent player and has played in the Prem, plus all the Livi fans seemed to want to keep him aswell. Would love to get a right midfielder and another striker signed up ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think McMillan was decent on loan. Quite athletic from what I remember. Hopefully a good signing.

Welcome Jack :fan: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Emphasising my point. Width down the left. Hee-haw down the right.

Yep well, I think McMillan might be a better wing back than we ever had a chance to see to be honest but time will tell. Definitely need 2 attacking players on the right for balance though.

 

5 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Think it will be Brownlie ahead of Akinola ?

No idea who will get the Nod but if we can get Akinola back to how he started off then it would be hard to leave him out. Fingers crossed Brownlie hasn’t lost much mobility from his injury, was a bad one and some people just aren’t the same after it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, G SUS said:

My mistake - I was convinced that McAllister was signed around the time of the Killie game(15th) but can see he was a later signing. Calum Morrison wasn’t a target - he might have been available but the manager didn’t pursue that interest after doing his due diligence by meeting the player(in a similar way he knocked back Kai Kennedy in the summer). 

I never at any point said Alegria or Jakubiak were targets, can you point to where I did? 

I said the board backed the manager, the money was there. He just didn’t utilise it in the right way/spent it wrongly. There were reasons for that (such as Hibs, Aberdeen and St Mirren changing their manager and the re-introduction of nine subs in the Prem) but it wasn’t down to ‘penny pinching’ by the board as you claim(unless you can prove otherwise).

No Morrison was target, however Falkirk wanted a larger fee given he was still contracted to them 

And your completely wrong about Kennedy too, McCall was very keen to sign him last summer and the deal was about to be done when the Pars came in offering Rangers far more money to pay towards the loan deal that we can afford.  

Edited by Third Lanark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

No Morrison was target, however Falkirk wanted a larger fee given he was still contracted to them 

And your completely wrong about Kennedy too, McCall was very keen to sign him last summer and the deal was about to be done when the Pars came in offering Rangers far more money to pay towards the loan deal that we can afford.  

I’m not wrong about either, but we’ll agree to disagree, it’s a new season and time to move forward.

Edited by G SUS
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, G SUS said:

I’m not wrong about either, but we’ll agree to disagree, it’s a new season and time to move forward.

Will definitely agree on that last line :thumbsup2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thistle boxing night - Third Lanark V G Sus

£15 a ticket who ever wins was right. All funds go to signing a new striker.. 

Apply within..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jags on tour said:

Who is Fotheringham? Happy enough with JM signing, decent player and has played in the Prem, plus all the Livi fans seemed to want to keep him aswell. Would love to get a right midfielder and another striker signed up ASAP.

My mistake - somehow typed Fotheringham when I meant Kennedy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×